New Basement Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long time lurker, first time poster....

I have a few questions regarding a receiver that will meet my needs in my basement project...here is the setup, I need assistance in selecting the proper receiver...

I will have a main viewing wall with 3 HDTV's. Two will be connected in some fashion to Direct receivers (TV's 1 &2). The third (TV 3) will be a standalone with an on air HD antenna for local games, etc..

I will have a 4th HDTV centered at the bar (TV 4), in a side area, this will also be a connected to a Direct receiver.

I plan on having the main viewing area set up as my primary zone with 5.1 surround.

I plan on having the bar TV with my second zone audio.

Questions...

Is there a receiver that will accept multiple HDMI (Direct) inputs and separate that simultaneously into TV 1 and zone 1 audio and TV 4 and zone 2 audio? Basically...Two games and two audio feeds...2 direct boxes to two different tv's, one to zone 1 and one to zone 2 audio, through the receiver.

Next...on the main viewing area...is it possible to switch audio from TV 1 to TV 2 in zone 1...say during a big play or during a commercial...I can switch the audio from what is on TV 1 to TV 2 while maintaining the picture on TV 1? I guess that would be switching audio with the other continuing to run with pass through video.

I am sorry if this is clear as mud and I swear I am not as clueless on what I want to do as this sounds. Just haven't shopped around the new switching capabilities for a few years.

Thanks for any assistance!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM

Liked: 11
Nothing can do what youre asking.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
So is there a receiver that can run video and audio to zone 1 and a separate video and audio to zone 2?

Or is my only solution to get two separate receivers?
post #4 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post

So is there a receiver that can run video and audio to zone 1 and a separate video and audio to zone 2?
I wouldn't think you would need two separate receivers. How about a HDMI splitter to zone 2, one to tv (video) and one to the reciever (audio). As I understand most receivers with 2 zone capability will play A&V on zone 1 with separate audio on zone 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post

I think this receiver might be able do it : http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-AV8801-Home-Theater-Preamplifier/dp/B00A203I0W

Probably should ask this question in the receivers forum.

Quote:

This would probably be the most economical solution.

David
post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 360

An HDMI 4x4 matrix switch to run the displays, and an AVR with zone2 capabilities. Although are you really going to have the audio in the bar different than the primary if they're in the same room?

You then run audio outputs from each of your sources (DirecTV boxes, digital / analog audio from the TV tuner to get OTA audio) to the AVR - this is separate from HDMI. Now you can switch the audio separately from the video. The only limitation is that you'll be limited to DD5.1 audio - only an issue for Blu-ray, and only then if you care about DTS-MA support...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page