Attempting my first home theatre..need help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
EDIT: The decoration and furniture were part of the model home while on the market. It's now empty so I'm prioritizing the home theater setup over furniture placement.

I've been a long time lurker here.. I'm finally building a home theatre in a house I recently purchased. So I'd like to get your help with some of the questions I have. I'm a home theatre noobie as it will be my first time purchasing any home theatre things (other than speakers and AV receiver.

Below are the numbers I measured:

1) Projector

I'm considering the Epson 3020e or 5020UBe. My main concern for 3020e is that it doesn't have lens shift. In the first picture I point to two locations for projector placement. Respective to the projector screen location shown in the second picture, would the 3020e work for either location #1 or #2? (I'm assuming 5020UBe can work in either locations due to lens shift) I'd prefer getting the 3020e if I can make it work without doing extensive wall work so I can save some money. The projector screen should be offset from the right wall by 10 inches to place a Martin Logan 12.

2) Receiver and all associated devices/equipment

My current thought is to place them in the recessed area above the fireplace. Would operating devices become a problem if I have a screen pulled down in front of the entire recessed area? The devices include:

PS3
HTPC
Receiver
Wii U
WirelessHD Transmitter (Epson 3020e or 5020UBe)

WirelessHD transmitter would be the biggest concern.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 06:32 AM

Liked: 15
I don't understand, is projector location 1 at the bottom of an arched lamp (I'm missing something there, would it be in an end table or ?) and projector location 2 mounted to the wall above the couch? With location 2 I assume you would need lens shift because it's below the top of your desired screen.

16 feet is a pretty long distance to project, in a room with a ton of windows, onto a screen that's very large. So this would only work at night.

You can get an IR extender that would solve the "ir remotes don't go through screens" issue.

You have a gorgeous home and good taste in decor, it will be interesting to see how you integrate all this and make it work.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I personally would not purchase a PJ without lens shift. You just limit yourself in your mounting options otherwise, and from what I have read/heard the 5020 is a great projector. As the other poster stated you do have a lot of ambient light to deal with so the compromise just may have to be smaller screen or a closer throw distance.

You do have a beautiful space and I too am looking forward to seeing how all this comes together.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

@bepperb sorry for not being clear. All the furniture and such....were part of the model home while it was on the market. Now it's empty and up to my own for furnishing. Location #1 is just a possibility I am considering, by putting a small table and placing the projector on top. Location #2 is where I can mount the projector.

For what it's worth, I am installing curtains on those windows to limit ambient light.

@RTROSE Why do you suggest using a smaller screen when there's a lot of ambient light? Perhaps I should read up a bit more..
post #5 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 09:06 AM

Another option you might want to consider are touch screen plc, and data aquitions modules that can control temp, lighting, and anything else programable in the home. I know alot of customers like it. Here are a few links to the recommended products.

ICP-DAS Home Automation

they provide free technical support and programming as well. Easy company to work with
post #6 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 AM

Liked: 15
With a long projection distance you lose some light and the image is less bright. With a larger screen the same amount of light has to brighten a larger area and the image is less bright. With all that ambient light you really need a bright image so it doesn't look all washed out. There are a lot of things working against you here.

I would really consider buying the largest TV you can fit above that fireplace or change the room layout and put the tv on the wall along the stairs. I'd rather have a 70" LCD that looks good all the time than to do a 10 minute dance lowering the screen, closing five blinds every time I wanted to watch TV.

Otherwise... I don't like low mounted projectors because of people walking in front of them, kids can't play video games sitting in front of them... etc. But in your situation you might consider it especially if you can get closer to the screen. I'd also plan a smaller screen. And do the best you can with light control. It probably needs to be dark enough you can't comfortably read a book for a projector to throw that far onto that large a screen and have it look decent.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
@RTROSE Why do you suggest using a smaller screen when there's a lot of ambient light? Perhaps I should read up a bit more..

Originally Posted by bepperb

With a long projection distance you lose some light and the image is less bright. With a larger screen the same amount of light has to brighten a larger area and the image is less bright. With all that ambient light you really need a bright image so it doesn't look all washed out. There are a lot of things working against you here.

Exactly! Well said.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page