My Small Media Room Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just thought I'd share my media room build that I've been working on the past couple of months. I started this In June and progress has been somewhat slow with the birth of my son in May. The room I have was initially a TV room when we bought the house, there were a lot of things we didn't like about the room so decided to pull out the ceiling, in-wall tv cabinet, and carpeting. With that said the project quickly turned into a full gut after finding loose wires in wall, stud walls not attached to the concrete and floor joists, and other non standard building practices. I am very particular in doing things right so this was my chance to fix it all.

I will be updating this as I go so check back often and correct my mistakes!

Equipment List
-TV 50-60Inch (TBD)
-AVR (TBD)
-5.1 Speakers (TBD)
-Sub (TBD)
-Blu-Ray (TBD)

First picture is a floor plan:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

One of the first things I tackled was building a wall along the stairs to fully enclose the main media room. At the same time I removed the old stair treads and replaced with 2x10 and added risers; these will be finished once the drywall work is done and the new floor is laid. I used the same stringers as the bottoms are bedded into the cement and stretching to give a less steep climb i would loose head room.
Before:

After:

I don't have any very good pictures of the true "before" but this is right after pulling the old drop ceiling out and removing the old barn boards that were attached to the HVAC duct work.

After framing once the built in media center was removed. Who ever built this did not want it removed, the largest nails possible were used.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-09-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

I knew that wall wasn't straight! When the bathroom was put in the drywall was attached tightly to the stud at the top but not the bottom. And they were very lazy and instead of fixing the bottom they just let it bow out and cut the tile to match the contour.

Once gutted i've worked on running cabling before some of what i need to access is patched over. I've ran Cat5e through most of the house, ran RG6 where needed, cleaned up electrical in the basement and added new circuits where needed. Also started assembling my wire/network wall which is between the stud wall the TV will be against and the furnace. I was able to get a server rack from work which has around 14Us this will be below all my cable management for future servers/amps/whatever.

I opted to build a bulkhead around the whole perimeter of the room to accomodate the HVAC duct rather than try to relocate it (the duct is 14 inches wide which would usually fit right between the floor joists but there was a third joist in the middle! 8 inches on center). The bulk head will have can lights installed.

I have finished the wiring and insulated all of the walls. The ceiling will be insulated once I finish the bulkhead framing and run wire for the can lights; these will also require enclosures to keep the insulation at a safe distance.

This picture was difficult to get because there is very tight access around the walls, water heater, and furnace.
-UPS Power
-Cable Modem
-Wireless Router
-3 Trendnet 1000/100/10 switches
-(2) 12 port RJ54 patch panels
post #4 of 4 Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

I am at the point now where i just have to build the bulk head along the wall near the bathroom. Before this can be done I need to address the plumbing situation. 90% of the plumbing is galvanized and hanging inches below the floor joists. So this caused problems with the old drop ceiling (wedged very tightly not sure how it was ever installed) and also slow leaks at some of the fittings that can account for a drop or 2 a week might as well fix it. The piping takes very indirect paths to get where it needs to be and has many strange size changes and T fittings that can be simplified.

I will be ripping all the galvanized out and replacing with PEX from the city meter to all fixtures. The PEX will be neatly done and kept between the floor joists. I got a nice crimper that has heads for all diameter PEX for Christmas. Just need to find a weekend we can be without water and work up the courage to sawzall all the old pipe out and replace. Then I'll be able to resume construction and finish my framing.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page