Done Deal's Contemporary Living Room Home Theater Build - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 152 Old 07-26-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 2,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Hey, did you ever finish the rack area up?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Pain Infliction is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 152 Old 07-26-2013, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Working on that very soon, of course way delayed from when I thought but it will happen. Everything just got wired last Friday, I need to wire the rack area and install the shelves and gear over the next weekend or two.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #93 of 152 Old 07-27-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I got everything installed in the rack and wired last night and this morning, and also got my projector set back up. Wouldn't you know right after I finish setting it up on the temporary table I've been using the Chief extension pole arrives. I'm off to a Diamondbacks game and then watching the Fox UFC card when I get back so doubt I'll have time to install it today, but hopefully tomorrow. A couple of the items are temp installed just sitting inside the rack because I don't have shelves for them yet like I mentioned before, but outside of that everything is working great down to the thermal management fan system. I don't have my rack power outlet installed yet (happening same time as drywall) so I just have my rack mounted strip power cord running out to an outlet in the room, so I can't close the door. It's going to be an extremely tight fit on the back of the AVR with the GLS locking banana plugs (The rack is only 20" deep). Might have to scrap them and get something shorter but I guess time will tell, shame though because I really like the GLS plugs.

Today is also the first day I've gotten to use my Klipsch RS-62 II's. So far so good, though I got tripped up for a minute on the wiring and config. They are on the back wall, so I thought they'd be considered surround back in the AVR. In my setup config on the Pioneer AVR I enabled surround back instead of surround side. No audio through them. Turns out they need to be installed on the regular surround terminals, which I guess makes sense since that's what 5.x content would be coded to use, with only 7.1 utilizing the actual surround back channels. Flipped it to the surround channel terminals and left the same config in the AVR and good to go. So far the Pioneer SC-61 seems to be keeping up pretty well power-wise with all 5 channels going, though a dedicated amp for the front channels would probably be beneficial at some point. Home Theater mag tested it with all 5 channels going outputting a little over 100 wpc @8ohms which isn't bad, but with only 2 channels it was well over that and with more time to spend with content I know I could probably tell the difference since I was only feeding 3 channels previously. I'm crossing them over at 80hz right now so that should take some strain off the AVR amps. Definitely more immersive and worth it though, it's been a while since I've had actual "surround sound". LOL Will need to re-run MCACC soon.

SlippyZ - I have my center channel sitting on 2 counter height barstools right now. Thought you would like that. wink.gif


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #94 of 152 Old 07-27-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

I got everything installed in the rack and wired last night and this morning, and also got my projector set back up. Wouldn't you know right after I finish setting it up on the temporary table I've been using the Chief extension pole arrives. I'm off to a Diamondbacks game and then watching the Fox UFC card when I get back so doubt I'll have time to install it today, but hopefully tomorrow. A couple of the items are temp installed just sitting inside the rack because I don't have shelves for them yet like I mentioned before, but outside of that everything is working great down to the thermal management fan system. I don't have my rack power outlet installed yet (happening same time as drywall) so I just have my rack mounted strip power cord running out to an outlet in the room, so I can't close the door. It's going to be an extremely tight fit on the back of the AVR with the GLS locking banana plugs (The rack is only 20" deep). Might have to scrap them and get something shorter but I guess time will tell, shame though because I really like the GLS plugs.

Today is also the first day I've gotten to use my Klipsch RS-62 II's. So far so good, though I got tripped up for a minute on the wiring and config. They are on the back wall, so I thought they'd be considered surround back in the AVR. In my setup config on the Pioneer AVR I enabled surround back instead of surround side. No audio through them. Turns out they need to be installed on the regular surround terminals, which I guess makes sense since that's what 5.x content would be coded to use, with only 7.1 utilizing the actual surround back channels. Flipped it to the surround channel terminals and left the same config in the AVR and good to go. So far the Pioneer SC-61 seems to be keeping up pretty well power-wise with all 5 channels going, though a dedicated amp for the front channels would probably be beneficial at some point. Home Theater mag tested it with all 5 channels going outputting a little over 100 wpc @8ohms which isn't bad, but with only 2 channels it was well over that and with more time to spend with content I know I could probably tell the difference since I was only feeding 3 channels previously. I'm crossing them over at 80hz right now so that should take some strain off the AVR amps. Definitely more immersive and worth it though, it's been a while since I've had actual "surround sound". LOL Will need to re-run MCACC soon.

SlippyZ - I have my center channel sitting on 2 counter height barstools right now. Thought you would like that. wink.gif[/quote]

Nice! And hey you gotta do what you gotta do to enjoy your theater! Sounds like you are moving along nicely! Time to catch up on some BD movie watching!

I am kinda going through a dry spell of new BD but I have quite a few pre-ordered, including Oblivion, which I think will be worth the blind buy.

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #95 of 152 Old 07-27-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I really enjoyed Oblivion at the theater, not sure if you saw my post on Ralph Potts review threat but like most people the plot could have been deeper and a bit better thought out... But the A/V quality was awesome, loved the soundtrack, and had a great time watching it! I preordered it too and can't wait to view in my theater, and also looking forward to the dedicated soundtrack on the BD.

I've got the "42" BD disc to watch as well as probably 25 older ones I haven't gotten to. I've got a lot of 3d BD preordered so looking forward to those release dates.

The barstools are about 2" too tall, it's protruding into the screen. Oh well.
BornSlippyZ likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #96 of 152 Old 07-31-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I've emailed my Middle Atlantic supplier again to try to get the ball rolling on getting a shelf made for a new Cisco settop box that isn't currently in MA's database, it will be really nice to get that since currently the settop box is sitting inside the rack and makes channel changes or otherwise pretty laboring since I need to get up and walk all the way to the backside of the rack. LOL

I'm also about to call Sound Anchor regarding the center channel stand since all of my emails have gone completely unanswered.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #97 of 152 Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Wow. Just called Sound Anchor and it went straight to VM. I'm starting to think it's a lost cause. rolleyes.gif

Edit - Tried again and on the phone with them now. Wish me luck! wink.gif

Edit 2 - Actually sounds like it may work out. I need to get just a bit more information to them (where the mounts are on the underside of the speaker) and will go ahead and submit my order.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #98 of 152 Old 07-31-2013, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Tonight I got the projector hung on the ceiling mount and also got the ceiling fan raised approximately 6" via a new shorter downrod which puts it a bit further out of eyesight when viewing the screen. I had purchased an adjustable 2-3' Chief extension rod for the projector and hung it on its highest point but it was about 3" below the dead center of the screen. I removed the adjustable portion and mounted using just the solid rod and it's now perfectly dead center on my Da-lite 2.4 HP. It might be my imagination but it seems like I am getting more gain compared to it being about 3' lower on the table I was using previously.

It feels great to have the theater going, currently watching the Bellator MMA event. I need to get some updated pictures up showing where I'm at... I'll try to do that this weekend.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #99 of 152 Old 08-01-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Nice that you got through the speaker stand company and hopefully they will get a solution for you!

I remember when I hung my Pj and it was pretty awesome to fire that thing up for the first time! Yes, post some pics of that Hw50 in action! Cool that you have hung just in time for the movie Oblivion next week!

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #100 of 152 Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I don't know if I'm more excited that the projector is mounted or that it means I can finally remove an outdoor patio table from my living room. LOL

There is so much 3D coming out that looks decent that I have preordered but most of them don't even have release dates yet. I saw Wolverine in 2D yesterday at the theater, okay but definitely not great. It's strange having that same or better quality at home now, makes me want to go to the theater even less now but I usually go with my boss just for something to do when we aren't slammed at work. The best thing I can say about the theater at this point is that they can be more liberal with the Subwoofer gain without pissing off the neighbors. Maybe I can convince him to just go to my house when I have the project more or less completed. Haha


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #101 of 152 Old 08-01-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Just got off the phone with Sound Anchor and got my order placed for a VCC5-style stand ordered after getting them all the dimensions. It will be bigger like the one on the right. The top plate will be made with provisions for mounting directly to the RC-64 II's bottom mounts.

http://www.soundanchors.com/page60.html



It's really strange, once I called them and got through the service has been exceptional thus far. They should probably update their site to reflect calling them instead of emailing them as that seems to be the key. It sounds like delivery is probably 2-3 weeks out, and the total with shipping is around $400-ish which includes a product they call Conecoasters which interfaces with the stand's floor spikes for use on hard surfaces like my tile floor.

http://www.soundanchors.com/page20.html



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #102 of 152 Old 08-01-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

I don't know if I'm more excited that the projector is mounted or that it means I can finally remove an outdoor patio table from my living room. LOL

There is so much 3D coming out that looks decent that I have preordered but most of them don't even have release dates yet. I saw Wolverine in 2D yesterday at the theater, okay but definitely not great. It's strange having that same or better quality at home now, makes me want to go to the theater even less now but I usually go with my boss just for something to do when we aren't slammed at work. The best thing I can say about the theater at this point is that they can be more liberal with the Subwoofer gain without pissing off the neighbors. Maybe I can convince him to just go to my house when I have the project more or less completed. Haha

That stand looks awesome and it's a nice piece of furniture!

That is cool that you and your boss do that! I agree that is what I felt when I got my modest room up and running. Most times I get more excited pre-ordering movies that way I know the experience will be awesome! It is sad though because way back in the day, my friends and I use to go to most of the new movies in the theaters. We really enjoyed ourselves and the experience was pretty cool. Now with what you have to deal with at theaters, ie rude adults, rude kids, cell phones, expensive snacks, and finally lost time if you have a bad movie experience, it is a no brainer to stay at home with a setup like you and I have.

Good to hear things are moving along on your build!

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #103 of 152 Old 08-01-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
No doubt! And yeah if I feel this way with a modest build I wonder what people do with those baller dedicated theaters that are more expensive than my entire house. wink.gif


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #104 of 152 Old 08-02-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I called CustomAVrack who I go through for Middle Atlantic rack stuff today and got the ball rolling on the RSH shelf for a new Cisco 9865HDC settop box. I can't wait to get that, it's a pain how I currently have it setup.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #105 of 152 Old 08-09-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I've got a few updates, things are starting to take shape.

I got everything squared away with the Mid Atlantic RSH shelf for the new Cisco cable box I have, I sent them the box which they should have received yesterday and hopefully they can get a shelf made for me in not too much time.

The big update, the custom drapes I had made by a company called Today's Interiors in AZ were finished and just installed early this afternoon! I can already tell this is going to make a rather dramatic different in my viewing ability in the day and early evening. The Da-Lite HP screen helped a ton, but in the early evening light would come through between the curtains and the wall causing thick lines of glare on the screen. In light scenes they would practically vanish but in dark it was so obvious and distracting it killed the experience. Outside of the performance, it makes a rather dramatic difference in the look of the room, I think for the better. The new drapes add a sleekness/uniformity and at the same time visually softens the look in my opinion.

As I posted earlier the Sound Anchor stand has been ordered and will hopefully ship out in the next couple weeks, that's about the final element left before I get into finishing the drywall, building the window cornice box, and paintwork. I also need to figure out a controller solution but I'll have to make do for now. Without further ado, Done Deal's Contemporary Living Room Theater... mid-build but still functional!













To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #106 of 152 Old 08-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
SupaKats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Looks great


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
SupaKats is offline  
post #107 of 152 Old 08-09-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post

Looks great

Thanks, just took a gander at your build thread and I like your theater/game room a lot!

I'd like to do a similar gray on the walls but will need to coordinate the exact color/shade to go with the drapes and not just make everything blend and get lost.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #108 of 152 Old 08-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
SupaKats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

Thanks, just took a gander at your build thread and I like your theater/game room a lot!

I'd like to do a similar gray on the walls but will need to coordinate the exact color/shade to go with the drapes and not just make everything blend and get lost.

Appreciate that. Fortunately in our space it is just one large room with no windows somwemdidnt have to worry about anything like that.

Now all the other rooms my wife started projects in is a different story.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
SupaKats is offline  
post #109 of 152 Old 08-09-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post

Appreciate that. Fortunately in our space it is just one large room with no windows somwemdidnt have to worry about anything like that.

Now all the other rooms my wife started projects in is a different story.

I'd come fairly close to murder for a basement with no windows, but those really don't exist in Phoenix (very rare). Definitely just one of those things where you have to make do and work with what you've got. That said, even though the drapes were expensive (somewhere ~$2700 I think) they are going to help a lot for my application.

I hear you on the additional projects. I've told Mrs Done Deal no extra projects as this theater build is going on. Thankfully she understands that between managing my workload and projects at work and managing/coordinating all the aspects of the theater build I'm stretched thin. wink.gif


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #110 of 152 Old 08-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
SupaKats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Luckily I don't really have to get involved in the other projects. Only have to help with stuff she can't reach.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
SupaKats is offline  
post #111 of 152 Old 08-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Senior Member
 
booga24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

I've got a few updates, things are starting to take shape.

I got everything squared away with the Mid Atlantic RSH shelf for the new Cisco cable box I have, I sent them the box which they should have received yesterday and hopefully they can get a shelf made for me in not too much time.

The big update, the custom drapes I had made by a company called Today's Interiors in AZ were finished and just installed early this afternoon! I can already tell this is going to make a rather dramatic different in my viewing ability in the day and early evening. The Da-Lite HP screen helped a ton, but in the early evening light would come through between the curtains and the wall causing thick lines of glare on the screen. In light scenes they would practically vanish but in dark it was so obvious and distracting it killed the experience. Outside of the performance, it makes a rather dramatic difference in the look of the room, I think for the better. The new drapes add a sleekness/uniformity and at the same time visually softens the look in my opinion.

As I posted earlier the Sound Anchor stand has been ordered and will hopefully ship out in the next couple weeks, that's about the final element left before I get into finishing the drywall, building the window cornice box, and paintwork. I also need to figure out a controller solution but I'll have to make do for now. Without further ado, Done Deal's Contemporary Living Room Theater... mid-build but still functional!


















Looking great, what did you use to mount the surround speakers?
booga24 is offline  
post #112 of 152 Old 08-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
SupaKats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by booga24 View Post

Looking great, what did you use to mount the surround speakers?

Looks like he just used the keyhole mount on the back.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
SupaKats is offline  
post #113 of 152 Old 08-09-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Yep, keyhole mount on the RS-62 II's. Easy peazy.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #114 of 152 Old 08-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Senior Member
 
booga24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

Yep, keyhole mount on the RS-62 II's. Easy peazy.

Thanks, any pros and cons with HW50? on a scale of 1-10 how is the PQ/ black level with light colored ceiling and walls. I ordered one and still debating if I should go darker walls and ceiling.
booga24 is offline  
post #115 of 152 Old 08-09-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
It's great as is, though I am going to go darker on the walls but won't paint the ceiling due to wanting to maintain some resemblance of a living room. Honestly I'm not sure my opinion counts since this is my first projector and the only other projectors I've seen are in bars or at the office, neither which holds a candle to the Sony. That said, the Sonys black levels beat out a lot of TVs I own or have seen as long as the room is dark. With light the picture is still very clear but of course the black level raises significantly.

I bought the Sony because it's well rounded and works great out of the box. Both held true for me and I couldn't be happier.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #116 of 152 Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Sorry realized I didn't fully answer the question.

9/10 with iris
7-8/10 native without iris enabled.

The iris is amazing on bluray, but in my experience has hiccups on 1080i/60 on TV with fast moving blacks. The default picture modes are great out of the box, I generally use film 1 on BD, TV for cable, and game mode for... Games of course. Either way the contrast is excellent in my opinion.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #117 of 152 Old 08-10-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Sweet update man! Your room looks fantastic and I love looking at those Klipsch's!

And your reason for buying the Sony Pj was the same reason I bought my HW30.

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #118 of 152 Old 08-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
 
booga24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

Sorry realized I didn't fully answer the question.

9/10 with iris
7-8/10 native without iris enabled.

The iris is amazing on bluray, but in my experience has hiccups on 1080i/60 on TV with fast moving blacks. The default picture modes are great out of the box, I generally use film 1 on BD, TV for cable, and game mode for... Games of course. Either way the contrast is excellent in my opinion.


Thanks, I guess I made a good choice between HW50 (wanted it cos I watch a lot sports) and JVC RS4810 (wanted it cos black levels and memory lens). Sony won.
booga24 is offline  
post #119 of 152 Old 08-10-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Done Deal DR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
You really can't go wrong with the Sony, I've never heard anyone say they dislike it or regret purchasing it. Hopefully you don't have to wait too long as I know there has been some supply issues recently.

I was just over at one of my girlfriend's friends/coworkers place for a little dinner party and their minds were blown when AV was brought up and I said we had a projector and 159" screen. LOL They said they were thinking of getting an 80" to replace their current set that was probably 60". I told them that's where I was at but that my screen wall is huge (18' wide by 14' or so tall) and that with a seating distance fairly far away even an 80" would look small. It's hard to believe you can get a midrange consumer projector and screen for not much at all more than you'd pay for an 80"...but of course there are compromises.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Done Deal DR is online now  
post #120 of 152 Old 08-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Senior Member
 
booga24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

You really can't go wrong with the Sony, I've never heard anyone say they dislike it or regret purchasing it. Hopefully you don't have to wait too long as I know there has been some supply issues recently.

I was just over at one of my girlfriend's friends/coworkers place for a little dinner party and their minds were blown when AV was brought up and I said we had a projector and 159" screen. LOL They said they were thinking of getting an 80" to replace their current set that was probably 60". I told them that's where I was at but that my screen wall is huge (18' wide by 14' or so tall) and that with a seating distance fairly far away even an 80" would look small. It's hard to believe you can get a midrange consumer projector and screen for not much at all more than you'd pay for an 80"...but of course there are compromises.


I waited for 8 weeks but finally my projector got shipped, I wish I had 18' screen wall. I am using every inch of my 12' screen wall going with 120" screen, the only space I have on the sides are for Klipsch RF82II pinned to walls.
booga24 is offline  
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off