Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #121 of 155 Old 08-10-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 116
That's great to hear. You may not have a big screen wall but at least you have some Klipsch RF-82's,and 120" screen is nothing to sneeze at either. Let me know your impressions when you get it set up!

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 155 Old 08-16-2013, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not knowing much about projector mounting, just curious why you didn't just mount the projector on the back wall ?
post #123 of 155 Old 08-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by might-be-don View Post

Not knowing much about projector mounting, just curious why you didn't just mount the projector on the back wall ?

All projectors have different throw distances so so it can only be a certain range of distance from the screen for any given size. Also the further back it is the less light gets to te screen which can sometimes be an issue.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #124 of 155 Old 08-16-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I could go back further, but I wanted to have it closer both so that I got as much brightness as possible and also so it had good cooling 360 degrees around it.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #125 of 155 Old 08-16-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

I could go back further, but I wanted to have it closer both so that I got as much brightness as possible and also so it had good cooling 360 degrees around it.

+1 that is what I did and my screen is only 100".

October HorrorFest Participant
post #126 of 155 Old 08-16-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't think many have ever complained about a picture that was too bright, as long as it vaguely falls within director intent. biggrin.gif

No matter the screen size I'd want to have it more forward in the throw range if at all possible, you pay for those lumens when you buy the projector... IMO you should try to keep as many of those lumens as possible, even if the change isn't drastic. wink.gif

post #127 of 155 Old 08-17-2013, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the explanation... It's hard to judge the distance in the photograph.
post #128 of 155 Old 08-22-2013, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just got home from a vacation today and noticed I had a box from Middle Atlantic... the new RSH shelf for the Cisco settop box came in. Got it set up right away and looks great.

Now just waiting on the Sound Anchor center channel stand and then I need to get unlazy and actually start doing some real work on the room.

post #129 of 155 Old 08-23-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

That is always nice to have goodies waiting for you after a trip!

post #130 of 155 Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sound Anchor center channel stand should arrive this week.

Edit: Should be today!

post #131 of 155 Old 09-04-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Stand is in and it's perfect. It started off a little rocky with Sound Anchor but the quality of the stand can't be questioned. It's even heavier and more solid then I thought it would be, and I was expecting heavy duty quality for the price paid.

I'll try to post a pic soon.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #132 of 155 Old 11-12-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just realized I never posted a pic of the center channel stand, oops!

So I got in a car accident and was out of commission for about a month but am starting to feel better. The latest project has been getting an iRule/Global Cache tablet remote setup going. It's a laboring process but I'm sure will be worth it in the end.

I also moved my bedroom couch with recliners into the theater because I was injured and couldn't sit in the one that was in there. Otherwise the room hasn't changed at all since my last pics.

post #133 of 155 Old 11-12-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah man I hope you are doing ok now!

Also good to hear from you again!

post #134 of 155 Old 11-12-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Ah man I hope you are doing ok now!

Also good to hear from you again!

Thanks man! I wasn't doing very well after the accident, not sure if you ever saw it on my350z but I had a 2012 Xterra Pro-4x with thick plate steel offroad bumpers I posted in 'other vehicles' back in the day and rear ended a vehicle at like 55mph and went straight into a guardrail. Accident was so bad it split the block, I was unconscious for like 40 minutes I guess. Outwardly it was pretty amazing because I barely had a scratch on me... but my back, neck, and brain were a wreck. I wasn't putting together very coherent thoughts for at least 3 weeks. LOL

Pretty much goes without saying that the Xterra is totaled. We're back in the Z/G platform with a pretty decent condition 2005 Laser Red G Coupe w/58k miles, stock with the factory Sport package/19" Rays wheels and factory junk Nav. I will need to get a new 4x4 at some point so that I can enjoy my Seadoo RXT-X this next summer but I've got some time, which is good as I'm still healing anyways. Overall doing decent, but not great.

iRule is definitely a love/hate deal. It's got a lot of options to configure things all different kinds of ways, really just limited by your own imagination and thoughtfulness you put into it when it comes to the UI experience. However the challenging part comes when its time to actually make all those functions work as intended. I'm probably about $400 deep into it at this point with a Pro license, 1 IP to IR gateway (supports 3-6 IR devices) and 2 IP to RS232 gateways that support 1 device each. I have my receiver communicating via IP control so no additional gateway box needed.

If I can get my current setup looking good and, more importantly, working well on my over 2 year old original Galaxy tab 10.1 I will probably buy an iPad Air for the central remote device as the Samsung is on it's last legs and pretty busted up as it's been a daily carried, transported and used device for over 2 years and has a very low res screen by today's standards. I guess that puts me about $1000 deep into iRule, but compared to custom Crestron etc systems that's still a fairly good value, has a better/more useful control device, and can be modified myself in the future in case of equipment changes or desired UI changes without hefty costs.

Even with the Pro license which affords using user generated images and whatnot, there still aren't a ton of decent visual options to use if you don't want to photoshop everything yourself (and I don't!) and even though I have very common equipment, there is still a lot to figure out on my own in regards to getting stuff to work. iRule's documentation isn't great, actually it's fairly poor for a product as diverse and complicated as it is.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #135 of 155 Old 11-12-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I remember your Xterra, but I am glad you are amongst the living still! I am sure your better half is too, was she with you? Man, crazyness, but it is cool that you are back in a G/Z again! Now hopefully you feel better so you can enjoy the Holidays coming up!
Done Deal DR likes this.

post #136 of 155 Old 11-13-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thankfully she wasn't with me at the time, the front passenger side got the brunt of the impact and being a frail woman I can't imagine what kind of shape she'd be in now. I'm feeling good enough now that I'll be able to enjoy the holidays and am looking forward to having my family get here from WA and CA.

I like the G a lot, it's nice to be back in the platform since I sold the Z 2 years ago to help fund the Seadoo purchase. It's interesting how incredibly similar it is to the Z, but very different at the same time.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #137 of 155 Old 01-08-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm at CES 2014! On my way to check out a bunch of A/V gear, I'd offer to post all kinds of pics and whatnot but the tech sites have that covered.

As for the theater I'm hoping to finish it this year, but I've definitely been enjoying it. I have well over 1k hours on the original sony bulb, probably due for a change in a few hundred hours, though brightness is still satisfactory right now. I don't know of I posted it before but I got the projector power outlet wired and also the power outlet for the rack done. Really want to get dedicated seating this year too.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #138 of 155 Old 01-08-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool have fun!

post #139 of 155 Old 01-08-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Random ramblings from CES...

Checked out most all of the high end audio stuff today, I don't think I really learned anything but got to experience some cool demos. Sat through some very overpriced gear demos from companies I won't name, 100k speakers going through 20k amps... Can't say it sounded that great. The Focal, SVS and Martin Logan demos were good. SVS announced their new line of subwoofers, I'm sure they are absolutely fantastic but they had them down quite a bit, I'm sure to not disturb everyone in the building. biggrin.gif

The peachtree integrated's were quite a bit bigger than I imagined and appears they can power anything. I'd love to have the 65x2 deco with KEF LS50's for an office set up but the Audioengine A5+'s also sounded great and are probably a better price point for my application. I'm starting to get into headphone audio at the low end range, just got a set of audiotechnica 50's that I've been loving, I wish I could have brought them along to demo dacs and amps but it would have been a total B to carry them around everywhere. Mostly just curiosity, as I honestly don't know what effect if any they would have on headphones like mine.

All in all, I'd say I still feel that the hi end audio gear is the biggest scam there is and I preferred the low to mid range stuff more. SVS had a their set up powered by a receiver, the Ultra set is reasonably priced, and it sounded great. I probably wouldn't trade my RF-7 II set up for the ultras but I'd definitely swap out my subs in a heartbeat. wink.gif The Focals had great low end extension, and the Martin Logan electrostatics ran in 5 channel (all full size) with huge amps created a lovely sound that seemed to make the room feel alive.

Talked to a guy at minidsp about LFE EQ'g which was cool. I've read a lot about it on here but haven't ventured down that path myself, so it was cool to have a quick chat with him.

post #140 of 155 Old 01-15-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I was going to ask you what you thought about the curved tv thing? I know the bigger $100K tv's would look awesome with a curve but the smaller ones I dunno about that. Did you stop by sony's booth to see how the cloud gaming worked?

post #141 of 155 Old 01-15-2014, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was going to ask you what you thought about the curved tv thing? I know the bigger $100K tv's would look awesome with a curve but the smaller ones I dunno about that. Did you stop by sony's booth to see how the cloud gaming worked?

Hey SlippyZ, yeah I've been meaning to post some thoughts.

Day 1 in the Venitian listening to all of the audio gear was a great opportunity. I enjoyed it so much I've already signed up for Audiofest, which is in Denver in November I believe it is.

Day 2 at the Convention center was awful. That's where all of the TV manufacturers were, along with other big companies like the auto companies, Klipsch, and PC-type gear, among a bunch of other trash. Klipsch and Def Tech disappointed greatly, a couple speakers just sitting there, not even plugged in. Which leads me to my next point, this is basically how all of the booths were at the Convention Center, all style and no substance. The best time I had was at the Sennheiser booth listening to some fairly highend headphones (700's, 800's) connected to $2k headphone amps. The second best (but still pretty terrible) was the new TV's that of course are being talked about everywhere you look.

The TV's are large, for TV's, and the 4K demo loops they were showing looked amazing. I've heard it stated elsewhere and I can repeat here, it's very close to looking through a window. I missed the Vizio booth, not sure where that was, but I saw the Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic and a couple other TV booths. The curved Samsung 105" really did look great, but the curved form factor is useless IMO. With the smaller sizes it would actually be a hindrance, but even with 105" I don't think its wide enough to justify the curve. Since people like you and I are used to projectors which big screens, you lose a lot of wow factor with the size, whereas most people looking at them were obviously enamored with the size I'm sitting there thinking... kinda small. biggrin.gif The bonus of course is not having the downfalls of a projector, where you need to control light, can't walk in front of, etc. But the technology right now for even 100-110" is so expensive it's going to be at least another 10 years before you start seeing the divisional shift where traditional projector owners are thinking of going to back to a TV screen for their theater setups. My take away is that when 4k projectors get to a reasonably price, maybe 4K or so, I'M IN! Until then I'm certainly not suffering with my Sony HW50, and at that time maybe there will actually be some content available.

Did I say my second day at the LVCC sucked yet? Man it was awful. There was people EVERYWHERE, and they are completely clueless, retarded, and inconsiderate. I literally cannot count how many times people virtually sprinted right in front of me, then stopped dead in their tracks. It would have been worth it, had the booths that were there had a lot of substance to them, but really I got less out of it than simply looking at a catalog with the products on them. Most of the products there weren't even being demo'd, and when they were it was under such terrible conditions that there really wasn't much to make of it. DJ's with blasting music everywhere, models dancing, honestly it was more of a giant club atmosphere that happened to have some electronics sitting around than any place to make any form of an objective opinion about any product's capabilities or performance. After a few hours there I told my girlfriend (who might I add soldiered through the entire thing without a single complaint) to get me out of there before I wound up in jail. wink.gif I knew I was clearly done with the scene there when the last person who cut in front of me and then of course stopped dead in their tracks I called a MF'r right to their face. eek.gif

Lesson learned, I like the boutique audio booths located in individual hotel suites without a bajillion people. wink.gif

Edit - Didn't see the cloud gaming stuff.

post #142 of 155 Old 01-15-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

That is pretty cool you got to see those 4K tv's and this Sennheiser headphones! But I think we are on the same wavelength that we are going to wait it out till 4K pj's come down in price because overall value and a 4K would be a bigger deal on a huge screen than anything smaller than 100". Sucks to hear people were jerks out there and that booths like Klipsch had their booths in disarray. I would love to hear the Palladium series speakers and check out the boutique audio just to see what the rich get to play with! THanks for sharing your thoughts at CES man!

post #143 of 155 Old 01-15-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is pretty cool you got to see those 4K tv's and this Sennheiser headphones! But I think we are on the same wavelength that we are going to wait it out till 4K pj's come down in price because overall value and a 4K would be a bigger deal on a huge screen than anything smaller than 100". Sucks to hear people were jerks out there and that booths like Klipsch had their booths in disarray. I would love to hear the Palladium series speakers and check out the boutique audio just to see what the rich get to play with! THanks for sharing your thoughts at CES man!

I should mention that there were a set of Palladium's sitting in Klipsch's booth not doing anything. I have a picture of them but don't recall which ones they were, and it certainly wasn't a setting where an opinion could be formed, other than saying they looked nice.

post #144 of 155 Old 03-07-2014, 09:43 AM

WOw, your homes are amazing :) My Dad has recently renovated ours but it's not as nice as the pictures that I have seen here. However, he used some really nice ideas following the images from http://houzz.comhttp://founterior and some other fine source. 

p.s. I really liked the living room with the power music towers LOL :p

post #145 of 155 Old 04-04-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I'm finally at the point where I can pick this project back up. I'm going to get my order in on some Fusion Escape seats soon, I just need to finally decide on how I want the seating laid out. I really need to spend some more time setting up my iRule iPad remote too, some functionality is not working correctly and some stuff that was working is no longer working correctly. Setting the Global Cache IP's to static in my network really helped though. Before anytime a Global Cache rebooted for any reason it'd acquire a new IP and I'd have to go reprogram the remote all the the time. My Global Cache for the Oppo has completely quit working and I need to get that up and running again as well.

Hoping I have some solid updates in the next few weeks.

post #146 of 155 Old 04-04-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Good to hear. How do you have the global cache connected to your oppo? Ir or rs232? Can you connect your oppo via IP? Then set the static IP address for it.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #147 of 155 Old 04-04-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's via RS232. I wish it could do IP, but Oppo hasn't released that capability as of yet (or at least they hadn't as of the time I initially set it up). I'm sure I can get the Global Cache working, I just haven't had time to mess with it yet.

post #148 of 155 Old 04-04-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

It's via RS232. I wish it could do IP, but Oppo hasn't released that capability as of yet (or at least they hadn't as of the time I initially set it up). I'm sure I can get the Global Cache working, I just haven't had time to mess with it yet.

Make sure your baud rates are the same. See what Oppo's baud rate is and then set the global cache's baud rate to match. That might be the issue.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #149 of 155 Old 04-04-2014, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think they are, I didn't change it and it was working before... but I'll double check all of it when I have a chance to dive into it.

post #150 of 155 Old 07-18-2014, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I ordered 4 Fusion Escapes in a black leather curved configuration, set to arrive Monday afternoon. I'm not 100% sure what I want to do for secondary seating yet, getting a second row is probably doable with the space I have available but a riser would be both hard to implement in my room and a bit awkward for a living room. Another idea would be to build bar style seating behind the main seating with bar stools and a table top, but while that would be good for sporting events it would be terrible for movies. I would also be concerned with the rear surrounds being blocked by the cabinet structure. Luckily I rarely have more than 4 people viewing, usually it's just the two of us... it's definitely not critical but would be nice for holidays and whatnot. For now, I will definitely just enjoy the new seating!

I had a bit of a set back with the auto accident and getting over some medical stuff, I ended up having a minor surgery but it's still taken weeks to mend. Hoping to get the chairs and finally get the rooms drywall patched up and painted over the coming months. Ive been lagging on this project for a variety of reasons, including making a bed frame out of zebrawood which took up a ton of time and I still need to do the final finishing work on, but it will be nice to get the room buttoned up. I'd never worked with exotic woods like the zebrawood before, it ended up being terrible to work with. Breathing dust from it causes nearly instantaneous asthma symptoms, which was a strange feeling since I don't have asthma! I wore a mask from then on but even with it I'd still get the symptoms after a while. I basically just need to finish the headboard (which thankfully isn't zebrawood) and do the sealing and staining on some of the pieces. Whenever I can finally finish it I'll post a picture.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page