Rough wiring for HT in basement - how to orient? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which layout, TV on stair wall or back wall?
layoutA (TV on stair wall) 1 50.00%
layoutB (TV on back wall) 1 50.00%
Some other orientation 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I am doing the electrical rough-in for my basement, part of which includes the low voltage wiring for 7.1 in our "theater" room. However, as I near completion, I am starting to second guess how I have oriented the room.

So I am attaching visio screenshots showing two different layouts: layoutA has the TV on the wall adjacent to stairs, and layoutB has it on the back wall.

My main problem is with the window in the room (on the back wall), and the door on the left. This door leads to a large craft room that will pretty much be dedicated for my wife.

A few points:
* I expect that she will primarily use the path thru the theater to get there from the stairs
* the door to the craft room will likely be closed most of the time, definitely during movies etc, but I must account for clearance
* the main entrance to the theater 99% of the time will be from the bottom of the stairs (i.e. not from the outside entrance in the craft room)
* this is not meant to be a truly dedicated home theater, but also socializing/music/xbox/kids etc. Furniture is just for representation.
* the spiky ball things on the walls are meant to be sconces. Track lighting is meant to illuminate the nearest wall with posters, photos etc.
* my speakers are Klipsch KLF20 floor standing, which are not small (I'll be posting some Klipsch surround speaker questions in another thread biggrin.gif )

I will say this: I have already wired everything according to one of these layouts so going the other way will require a bit of rework. But, I have one shot to do this right so I will do what is necessary.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

I would be interested to hear what people think and why. This is my first post so I will try to create a poll...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 374
"B"

1) Having the window on the same wall as the display will remove most of your glare issues, whereas having the window on the opposite wall is the worst place for glare...

2) The pathway in front of the TV better utilizes the natural gap you'd leave between the seating and the TV anyway.

3) Can you reverse the door to swing into the craft room instead? That will make furniture layout in the room much easier. If the door swings against the back wall, it shouldn't eat up much space in that room, either.

And if you're wiring at the moment - wire for both. biggrin.gif Run flex conduit to both display locations so you can access both later. Some speaker wires left behind the walls to pull out if you change your mind would only cost a few dollars (and don't need to be exposed if they're documented properly).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Crap. Jautor's right. Change my vote from A to B.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farkem View Post

Crap. Jautor's right.

Again. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

"B"

1) Having the window on the same wall as the display will remove most of your glare issues, whereas having the window on the opposite wall is the worst place for glare...

2) The pathway in front of the TV better utilizes the natural gap you'd leave between the seating and the TV anyway.

3) Can you reverse the door to swing into the craft room instead? That will make furniture layout in the room much easier. If the door swings against the back wall, it shouldn't eat up much space in that room, either.

And if you're wiring at the moment - wire for both. biggrin.gif Run flex conduit to both display locations so you can access both later. Some speaker wires left behind the walls to pull out if you change your mind would only cost a few dollars (and don't need to be exposed if they're documented properly).

Jeff

I agree. With the Window you can always add a curtain in front of it either way. Other thing if you do have a curtain you could always place a curtain equally on other side of wall, which could help make the wall behind tv look black if you wanted. For the speaker wire, you can just put blank faceplates on the wall, then you know where your speaker wire is.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepus View Post

Other thing if you do have a curtain you could always place a curtain equally on other side of wall, which could help make the wall behind tv look black if you wanted.

Excellent suggestion and a decorator's trick for creating symmetry or for dealing with off-center windows...
Quote:
For the speaker wire, you can just put blank faceplates on the wall, then you know where your speaker wire is.

And if blank plates annoy you (or if they are high up on the walls which DOES look ugly), document the cable locations well with photos and measurements, properly secure the cable, and you can just bury them - poking a hole and pulling the end out in the future if you need them. FYI - securing the cable is best done by LOOSELY stapling the cable across the stud bay in a Z pattern, so that you can reach in with a hook later and easily (ha!) grab and recover the cable - but it's tied up enough to keep it from being damaged during drywall installation.

Jeff

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page