6Likes

post #301 of 316 Old 06-12-2014, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestoneman View Post
From one Skins fan to another...great job on the HT! I might need to copy you on the helmets...would love to have those in my bar.

My kid just played flag football with Ryan Kerrigan on Sunday. He donated time to help a friend's foundation for kids with brain cancer. Great guy.

I missed this post the other day! That's really cool. Hey, if you do decide to pony up for some helmets, I highly recommend going with the "authentic" and not the "replica" helmets. I did a TON of research for the best deal out there and you cannot beat this place for inventory, customer service, etc. Check them out when you are ready:

http://www.thespeedycheetah.com

I emailed them and asked if they would give me a discount for ordering 3 helmets and they did. I think they gave me $15 off the order!

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Elite Screen | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 Power Cond.| Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 316 Old 06-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
I missed this post the other day! That's really cool. Hey, if you do decide to pony up for some helmets, I highly recommend going with the "authentic" and not the "replica" helmets. I did a TON of research for the best deal out there and you cannot beat this place for inventory, customer service, etc. Check them out when you are ready:

http://www.thespeedycheetah.com

I emailed them and asked if they would give me a discount for ordering 3 helmets and they did. I think they gave me $15 off the order!
OK, good to know. My framing just went up this week, so my head is spinning, but I hope to get on the helmets soon...before the name changes!!

-
My Theater Build

Equipment List: Denon X5200, Epson 6030, 120" Carada cinemascope screen, Panamorph U480, Oppo-103, Emotiva XPA-5, SVS PB12-NSD, LSA Statement LCR & surround speakers, Def Tech ProCinema 1000 rears & front wides, DefTech DI5.5R Atmos overheads, Grafik Eye 3106
post #303 of 316 Old 06-14-2014, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

As promised, here is a video that I shot for the BlackoutEZ that I've installed on two windows in my media room. One window was quite large and the other window was a smaller egress window. I shot the video as a favor for BlackoutEZ (I have no affiliation with them BTW) but I also thought it would be helpful to post here. These blackouts are great quality for HTs and media rooms and they are very reasonably priced!

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Elite Screen | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 Power Cond.| Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #304 of 316 Old 09-09-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 675
I don't see the pics of the additional subwoofers yet?

AnnapolisSony likes this.
post #305 of 316 Old 09-11-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post
I don't see the pics of the additional subwoofers yet?

Great to hear from you bud! Man, it's been a while huh?

I've just been enjoying the hell out of my room with the family and slowly adding decor on the walls. After 8 long weeks of waiting, last week I picked up a gorgeous custom-made 3D Redskins logo and the artist is working on one other piece to go beneath it as well. I just placed an order with her for another piece for another wall in the room. I'll have to get a couple of shots of the new logo (plaque) and post them here. I've also put up some really nice pennants, flags and burgees throughout the room all of which are mounted on custom-cut/painted wood to give them a 3D look as well. Personally, I find it tacky to just tack nice pennants/flags directly on the walls. They really turned out nice.

Funny you commented about the 2nd XV-15. Just this past weekend a buddy of mine asked what the 2nd coaxial cable was on the screen wall and, while my wife was standing there, I told him that it was for my 2nd sub that is just months down the road. My wife rolled her eyes and said "You don't need a 2nd sub!" I turned to her nicely and said, that subwoofer costs less than it costs for you to get your hair done 3 times. Touche.

It is not a priority right now but it will definitely happen. Perhaps a nice Christmas gift to myself.

So how is your room coming along? Any additions? I thought by now you might have moved so you could build your own theater from scratch. LOL.

904WMC Media Room Thread

Last edited by AnnapolisSony; 09-11-2014 at 02:08 PM.
post #306 of 316 Old 09-13-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

After waiting patiently for 8 weeks, the artist finally called to tell me that my custom Redskins logo plaque was ready to be picked up!!! Pictures just don't do this thing justice. It is absolutely gorgeous. After hanging it I realized that I needed to go "full-tilt" on it and have the artist do another plaque with REDSKINS on it for below. She is going to play the REDSKINS off of the feather (like they frequently do in their logos) so it should look really cool when finished. I went ahead and hung the top part and it will probably be a couple of weeks before she has the bottom piece ready.

As usual, it is awful lighting down there for photos (even with my SLR down there) so I had to resort to my cell phone for these shots:

Here's a few shots that show the 3D depth of the plaque:

The same artist is also doing a 36" wide MD crab /state flag for me for another wall in my room but that will not be ready for pick up for at least 6-8 weeks. Check this thing out:

[IMG][/IMG]

Keeping with the 3D look of the Skins logo plaque, I wanted to come up with a better way to display some meaningful sports pennants, burgees and a rare undated Masters golf flag from Augusta. These are all from teams and/or places that are very meaningful to me in my life. I was not feeling tacking all of these things directly on the walls. Sooooo, I went out and bought the same 3/4" boards that I used for all of my shelving in the basement and cut each of them to shape - but 1" larger around the perimeter - so it would give each pennant/flag/burgee a 3D look. I cut them, sanded the hell out of them, primed them and then painted each with 3 coats of BM Advance that I used for all of the trim in the room. I did five of them total and I absolutely love the way they turned out. I've still got space for 2 more on the bulkhead (where I hung 3 of them) so I am still trying to decide which pennants/teams I want to buy for those two spaces.

Here are pics of the 5 that I've finished and hung so far:

Orioles

Ocean Reef

Augusta National

Here's a shot of the bulkhead where I have room for two more on the ends:

Roanoke College

Redskins

I'll have to post another update after I get the bottom half of the Skins logo up. And of course a shot of the MD crab when it is finally finished and UP. If anyone is interested in getting in touch with this artist for 3D plaques, please send me a PM and I will put you in touch.

904WMC Media Room Thread

Last edited by AnnapolisSony; 09-13-2014 at 05:48 PM.
post #307 of 316 Old 09-14-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
Great to hear from you bud! Man, it's been a while huh?

I've just been enjoying the hell out of my room with the family and slowly adding decor on the walls. After 8 long weeks of waiting, last week I picked up a gorgeous custom-made 3D Redskins logo and the artist is working on one other piece to go beneath it as well. I just placed an order with her for another piece for another wall in the room. I'll have to get a couple of shots of the new logo (plaque) and post them here. I've also put up some really nice pennants, flags and burgees throughout the room all of which are mounted on custom-cut/painted wood to give them a 3D look as well. Personally, I find it tacky to just tack nice pennants/flags directly on the walls. They really turned out nice.

Funny you commented about the 2nd XV-15. Just this past weekend a buddy of mine asked what the 2nd coaxial cable was on the screen wall and, while my wife was standing there, I told him that it was for my 2nd sub that is just months down the road. My wife rolled her eyes and said "You don't need a 2nd sub!" I turned to her nicely and said, that subwoofer costs less than it costs for you to get your hair done 3 times. Touche.

It is not a priority right now but it will definitely happen. Perhaps a nice Christmas gift to myself.

So how is your room coming along? Any additions? I thought by now you might have moved so you could build your own theater from scratch. LOL.

Yeah, it has been a while! Your room looks fantastic.....congrats!

2nd XV-15 is indeed in order, that was a nice move dropping the bomb while your wife was at the room, so there is no surprise when the second sub arrives. Funny how things change when you start talking about other things they like, but that are as costly as AV gear. Of course, you can then re-sell AV gear and recoup some money, try to do that for a haircut, make up, nails and all that stuff.............

The wall decor you just posted is indeed high quality and looks pretty cool. Now you just need to find a better team...............KIDDING!

Not much has been done to my room, well other than a change on the AVR and a 2.2 channel system that I finally was able to finish. Keep posting pics of your room, keep having fun with it and have a great weekend!
post #308 of 316 Old 09-14-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Holy crap...I want both of those.
AnnapolisSony likes this.

-
My Theater Build

Equipment List: Denon X5200, Epson 6030, 120" Carada cinemascope screen, Panamorph U480, Oppo-103, Emotiva XPA-5, SVS PB12-NSD, LSA Statement LCR & surround speakers, Def Tech ProCinema 1000 rears & front wides, DefTech DI5.5R Atmos overheads, Grafik Eye 3106
post #309 of 316 Old 09-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 46
That Skins plaque is really nice! Looks good!
post #310 of 316 Old 09-15-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Great looking space. It looks like a lot of fun. What are the dimensions? I ask because i'm interested in how you feel your XV15 does in that much space. It sounds like you think it's a bit lacking, since you're considering a second one. Once my room is done, i'll have right about 4000 ft3, and i'm trying to decide what to do in terms of subs, and the "amount of subwoofage" (i doubt i coined that term, but i like it) that is deemed required for a given volume seems to vary widely. Anywhere from, "you'll be ok with a single XV15se", to "you need at least dual PB13-Ultras, preferably dual Seaton Submersives". (I'm exaggerating, but only slightly). Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread
Paradigm Studio 60v3, Studio 570v3, Studio 20v5, Onkyo TX-NR808, PS3, Chromecast, Acer H6510BD
post #311 of 316 Old 09-20-2014, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldog78 View Post
Great looking space. It looks like a lot of fun. What are the dimensions? I ask because i'm interested in how you feel your XV15 does in that much space. It sounds like you think it's a bit lacking, since you're considering a second one. Once my room is done, i'll have right about 4000 ft3, and i'm trying to decide what to do in terms of subs, and the "amount of subwoofage" (i doubt i coined that term, but i like it) that is deemed required for a given volume seems to vary widely. Anywhere from, "you'll be ok with a single XV15se", to "you need at least dual PB13-Ultras, preferably dual Seaton Submersives". (I'm exaggerating, but only slightly). Thanks.
The media side of my basement is about 4500 ft3. When I initially reached out to Tom, he recommended that I go with two subs but in no way did he say that it was an absolute MUST. BTW, I sincerely appreciate how accessible Tom makes himself to even newbies like myself. He really took the time to work with me thru email and I just couldn't be happier with this sub. At the time I really didn't have it in the budget to spring for 2 right off the bat...so I knew I would wait about a year or so before I pulled the trigger. Too many other priorities at the time! I have to say though, for 99.99% of the population, one XV-15 would be MORE THAN ENOUGH for this media room. I have friends over all of the time and when I do music and movies demos, they are blown away. The XV-15 is a SOLID subwoofer and I couldn't be happier with how well it compliments my in-walls. In-walls are known to lack bass...so the XV-15 picks up what they are not puttin' down...and then some. With all of that said, I am in the .01 percent of the people that would want a 2nd one down there...so when the time is right...Tom will be getting another order from me. I wired the coaxial cable for my 2nd sub on the front wall (equal distance on the other side of my screen) but it is not a corner. I really don't know if that will be the final resting spot for the 2nd sub...but we'll see. Fingers crossed.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #312 of 316 Old 11-03-2014, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Just added an Apple TV into the mix this weekend and, surprisingly enough, I absolutely love it. I received it as a birthday gift and was not quite sure if it would really be worth keeping. However, it talks to our iMac upstairs and gives us access to the ten billion kids movies/tv shows that I have purchased for my children (in iTunes) over the past 5-6 years.

Can't beat this kind of technology for a measly $99!

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #313 of 316 Old 11-19-2014, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Ever since I completed my room, I have been using an iPad to control things like my Sonos, my OPPO and my Yamaha AVR. My iPad was in a protective case and would either sit up on the bar top or the on the chairs. For the longest time I’ve wanted to mount it in the wall and recently I decided to finally tackle it. Honestly, I was blown away at the prices of some of the iPad wall mounts out there. Some of them even topped $300-$400 (iPort, etc.) which I knew right off the bat I was NOT going to pay.

After going back and forth and back and forth I decided to take a leap and purchase a $99 mount from an eBay seller. I later found he sells his mount on a website at:

http://www.simplewallmount.com

I needed two things in a wall mount: 1) An attractive looking, easily-removable flush mount with home button exposed 2) Option to hook up a charger/power cable.

This product delivered both and for a fraction of the cost of most others on the market. It actually comes with two face plates so you have a couple of different looks if desired.

I installed it last night and it was a breeze. The wall that I installed it on backs right up against my equipment rack room so I was able to run the charger cord thru the wall and plug it into an outlet on the other side. Very simple. I especially like this mount because the faceplate is removable by way of magnets (strong magnets at that). It comes off easily and the iPad pops right out. Wifi signal is not affected by the mount whatsoever. I still have to spackle and touch up a couple of holes from something that was hanging there before but here are a couple of shots of the new wall mount shortly after I finished:

Close up:

Face plate off:

Back of face plate:

So if you are in the market for a nice, AFFORDABLE iPad wall mount, I highly recommend this product!!
SupaKats and BllDo like this.

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #314 of 316 Old 11-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 46
That's pretty slick. I was thinking about doing something like this eventually. We have an old ipad that I may be able to use if I can get my 6 year old to give it up. He is the only one that still uses it for some games. But for my setup i'm not sure if it would really be necessary as really the only thing I'd probably be able to control would be my 2 basement receivers. Unless I decided to create my own all in one remote or something. I have the jukebox on the wall already that controls all my music. Maybe when I have all the electronics setup I'll be able to tell if that would be something I could use. It does look slick!
post #315 of 316 Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
That's pretty slick. I was thinking about doing something like this eventually. We have an old ipad that I may be able to use if I can get my 6 year old to give it up. He is the only one that still uses it for some games. But for my setup i'm not sure if it would really be necessary as really the only thing I'd probably be able to control would be my 2 basement receivers. Unless I decided to create my own all in one remote or something. I have the jukebox on the wall already that controls all my music. Maybe when I have all the electronics setup I'll be able to tell if that would be something I could use. It does look slick!
Good to hear from you GEC. I've gotta get on over and check out your thread. Hope the build is coming along ok.

As far as the iPad goes, I especially like it because I can control my OPPO BR player. Makes pausing and playing movies much easier on my way in and out of the room (especially for my kids bathroom breaks - LOL). Last night I also figured out I can control both of the Verizon FiOS DVRs in my room with the FiOS Mobile app. A real time remote comes up on the screen. Bonus!

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #316 of 316 Old 11-21-2014, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a similar ipad mount, and of everything in my basement theater/bar, that thing gets the most compliments. I've found a lot of uses....jukebox, a/v control, scoreboard, digital photo album....
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Basement Bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page