Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
post #331 of 359 Old 12-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 116
The real question is how was the wife's reaction to it all?

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 359 Old 12-10-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Glad you went the tower direction, those are some really beautiful speakers and if they sound half as good as they look you have a winning combo on your hands. Here is a thought. If you just leave the inwalls there then should you ever move you have something there as a selling point for the potential buyer and you can put away your new speakers and still have a functioning theater on your hands and the potential purchaser will be none the wiser (unless he follows your thread here on AVS :-) ). Of course if you have another room/use for the inwalls then it's a no brainer to remove them and repurpose them.

Welcome to the tower family and always nice to see when someone get a temporary cure for that upgradeitis bug that seems to run rampant though this thing we call home theater.

Well done.

Regards,

RTROSE
AnnapolisSony likes this.

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #333 of 359 Old 12-16-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 104
you won't believe this one...

Well, it is amazing what can change over the course of one week. As most of you know, I pulled the trigger on a pair of A7 towers, a CSiA6 and some surround FXiA4s. It would appear that I really jumped the gun (in a previous post) in my comparison of my existing Polk in-wall set up vs the RTiAs (after only listening to them for an hour or two).

So, this past weekend I went down to watch the Hunger Games Catching Fire and I decided to watch/listen to the first 30 mins of the movie with each set of speakers. I should also add that when I hooked up the A7’s and the CSiA6 I ran YPAO again which switched my speaker setting (for all 7 speakers) to SMALL. The previous recommended setting for my 265RTs (in-wall fronts) and my 255C-RT (in-wall CC) was LARGE (go figure?). I also re-adjusted the crossover on my sub to 80 before firing up the movie. Not sure if it made any diff at all but the only other thing that was different was that I outfitted the ends of all R/C/L speaker wires in my walls with silverbacks to make them easier to switch back and forth when testing the two sets of speakers.

So I watched the first 30 mins of the movie with A7’s and the CSiA6 hooked up and, as expected, it was impressive. Great sound, could not happier. I reset the movie, moved the towers and center off to the side and hooked up my in-walls again. I’ll be honest, I was completely expecting the sound of my broken in in-walls to be inferior to what I had just experienced. However, the opposite occurred. My in-wall set up has NEVER sounded better. Since I left the speaker setting on SMALL and with my new adjustments on the XV-15, IT SOUNDED BETTER THAN IT’S EVER SOUNDED BEFORE. And I’m not just talking a little, I mean by a LONG SHOT. I even pulled my wife down and she completely agreed. Let’s just say I watched the rest of the movie with my old set up and I was in disbelief. So much in fact that I watched 3 Days to Kill right behind it (pretty good flick by the way). When I used to watch a movie with my old Yammy settings, I typically had it at a volume level of about -18 or -19. Hell, if I go down to -18 with these new settings, I’d blow myself out of the room. I like my movies a bit on the LOUD side and I had to watch both at levels right around -23 & -24! So, a combination of a few small tweaks has made it a no-brainer decision for me. I am not keeping the A7’s, the CSiA6 or the FXiAs. They are all for sale!

I also need to add that throughout this whole process, I have really come to appreciate the look and the positioning of my in-walls a bit more. As days went by every time I walked into the room I just saw three massive speakers sitting up front. I was really unsure if I would ever be able to get used to them being there. Sure, they are gorgeous speakers with a beautiful finish on them…but I was kidding myself by thinking I’d get used to the look. I am glad that I went thru this process and tried out these speakers, I have ZERO regrets. I had wondered since Day 1 of my reno if I was missing out. But in my situation, I have confirmed that I am not. I think that says A LOT about Polk’s in-wall RT (and LS) series speakers. I read a lot of reviews on their in-walls back in the day and they really do get rave reviews. After a year of use, they are legit.

I’ve got the A9’s and A7’s listed on Craigslist here and here and I’ve got the CSiA6 and two pairs of FXiA4’s on eBay here and here.

Once I sell all of these Polk’s, I’ll be placing my order for my 2nd PSA XV-15 with Tom. If you already have an elephant in the corner, you might as well have two! Yes, the wife knows it’s coming…

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Elite Screen | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 Power Cond.| Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #334 of 359 Old 12-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Great read and glad you got to try both to really see what you liked better.

Jealous that you'll be adding here second PSA.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #335 of 359 Old 12-16-2014, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Let me correct myself lol I have rtia series in my room theater area but looking to put sound in her living room I was gona use a set of m40 but they to big for her
post #336 of 359 Old 12-16-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hmmm........That is very interesting to say the least. All I can say is that I'm a firm believer in trying different settings, tweeking, and experimenting with different setups. You just never know until you try. Nice on the sub. Having two of those should really get the LFE to the next level.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #337 of 359 Old 12-17-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
I'm re-thinking my basement lay-out, and, how to improve the layout of my theater. Our basements seem similar.

What are the dimensions of your HT area, and the dimensions of the area behind the bar?
So sorry I overlooked your post the other day. Lemme get those dimensions tonight and I'll get back to you...

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Elite Screen | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 Power Cond.| Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #338 of 359 Old 12-17-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
Hmmm........That is very interesting to say the least. All I can say is that I'm a firm believer in trying different settings, tweeking, and experimenting with different setups. You just never know until you try. Nice on the sub. Having two of those should really get the LFE to the next level.

Regards,

RTROSE
RT, I still can't believe it. Funny the things you have to do thru to improve your sound and put your mind at ease. Now I just need to sell these speakers and get on with it! Have you watched any good flicks in your HT recently??? I'm hearing Edge of Tomorrow is worth the watch...hopefully going to hook that up this weekend...

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #339 of 359 Unread 12-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't watched it on Blu yet but I did see EoT in theaters and it is an awesome movie.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

post #340 of 359 Unread 12-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Yes Edge of Tomorrow was actually a great movie. I was really surprised by how much I liked it. I actually watched it again with the wife and kids.
AnnapolisSony likes this.
post #341 of 359 Unread 12-18-2014, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Great News!

I was actually getting concerned when you switched to towers as I have the same in walls in the front. I need to get a sub upgrade. What was the real difference in the settings? I have an Onkyo receiver hooked up to the speakers now. Do I need to set them up different to maximize the sound given what you've learned?

Does the amp really help?

Thanks
post #342 of 359 Unread 12-18-2014, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
I'm re-thinking my basement lay-out, and, how to improve the layout of my theater. Our basements seem similar.

What are the dimensions of your HT area, and the dimensions of the area behind the bar?
jdlynch,

Here are some measurements for you:

Media Room = 27' (front to rear) X 22' (side to side) = 594 SF*
PJ Throw = 12' 6"
Screen wall to front of chairs - 10' 8"
Screen wall to head while sitting in chair - 13'
Screen wall to front of snack ledge - 14'
Rear edge of snack ledge to back wall - 12'

Dimensions of snack ledge are 112"W X 21"D X 42.5"H

*This dimension does not include the section (along the screen wall) of the room that breaks away to my powder room and the playroom side of the basement.

Hope this helps and gives you more of a perspective...

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #343 of 359 Unread 12-18-2014, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementHT5 View Post
I was actually getting concerned when you switched to towers as I have the same in walls in the front. I need to get a sub upgrade. What was the real difference in the settings? I have an Onkyo receiver hooked up to the speakers now. Do I need to set them up different to maximize the sound given what you've learned?

Does the amp really help?

Thanks
BaseHT5,

If we're being honest, you haven't unleashed (or heard) those 265RTs yet unless you've had 150-200 watts going to each. I've heard my 265's running just off of my Yamaha RX-A1010 and there really is no comparison to the way they sound hooked up to my Emo XPA-3. I can't really speak for how Onkyo AVRs categorize your speakers (i.e. small, med & large) but going from large to small in my case made a WORLD of difference with my Yammy.

If you happen to pull the trigger on an amp, please report back with your experience. I know what the result will be...but it will be fun to see your reaction. I'm a big fan of Emotiva amps because they are so reasonably priced. As with most in-walls, you certainly need a good sub (or two) in the room. I have a PSA XV-15 and it works beautifully with my Polk in-walls. Good luck!

Do you also have a CC in-wall? If so, what are you using, the 255C-RT?

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #344 of 359 Unread 12-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
RT, I still can't believe it. Funny the things you have to do thru to improve your sound and put your mind at ease. Now I just need to sell these speakers and get on with it! Have you watched any good flicks in your HT recently??? I'm hearing Edge of Tomorrow is worth the watch...hopefully going to hook that up this weekend...
Edge of Tomorrow is worth the watch but one thing of warning - in the opening credits there is a ridiculous bass sweep that will really push your subs. It's odd, but kind of cool at the same time. I had mine turned up and when this came on was worried something was going to blow, that's how deep and loud it was.

post #345 of 359 Unread 12-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Hehe yea my wife yelled at me to turn out down when that happened with that movie.
post #346 of 359 Unread 12-19-2014, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
jdlynch,

Here are some measurements for you:

Media Room = 27' (front to rear) X 22' (side to side) = 594 SF*
PJ Throw = 12' 6"
Screen wall to front of chairs - 10' 8"
Screen wall to head while sitting in chair - 13'
Screen wall to front of snack ledge - 14'
Rear edge of snack ledge to back wall - 12'

Dimensions of snack ledge are 112"W X 21"D X 42.5"H

*This dimension does not include the section (along the screen wall) of the room that breaks away to my powder room and the playroom side of the basement.

Hope this helps and gives you more of a perspective...

Thanks for taking the time. Our HT space dimensions are actually almost identical. I would prefer to have your room though; my viewing couch only has 3' between the back of it and the rear wall.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #347 of 359 Unread 12-19-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
"Do you also have a CC in-wall? If so, what are you using, the 255C-RT?"

Yes - I have the same LCR as you flanking my screen (70" LCD). I have Polk surrounds as well, but I think those are different than yours.

I'll look into the amp when I upgrade the receiver. I'm still working on the construction aspect so I'm getting the equipment here and there. I'll get a sub next.
post #348 of 359 Unread 12-19-2014, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Well, it is amazing what can change over the course of one week. As most of you know, I pulled the trigger on a pair of A7 towers, a CSiA6 and some surround FXiA4s. It would appear that I really jumped the gun (in a previous post) in my comparison of my existing Polk in-wall set up vs the RTiAs (after only listening to them for an hour or two).

So, this past weekend I went down to watch the Hunger Games Catching Fire and I decided to watch/listen to the first 30 mins of the movie with each set of speakers. I should also add that when I hooked up the A7’s and the CSiA6 I ran YPAO again which switched my speaker setting (for all 7 speakers) to SMALL. The previous recommended setting for my 265RTs (in-wall fronts) and my 255C-RT (in-wall CC) was LARGE (go figure?). I also re-adjusted the crossover on my sub to 80 before firing up the movie. Not sure if it made any diff at all but the only other thing that was different was that I outfitted the ends of all R/C/L speaker wires in my walls with silverbacks to make them easier to switch back and forth when testing the two sets of speakers.

So I watched the first 30 mins of the movie with A7’s and the CSiA6 hooked up and, as expected, it was impressive. Great sound, could not happier. I reset the movie, moved the towers and center off to the side and hooked up my in-walls again. I’ll be honest, I was completely expecting the sound of my broken in in-walls to be inferior to what I had just experienced. However, the opposite occurred. My in-wall set up has NEVER sounded better. Since I left the speaker setting on SMALL and with my new adjustments on the XV-15, IT SOUNDED BETTER THAN IT’S EVER SOUNDED BEFORE. And I’m not just talking a little, I mean by a LONG SHOT. I even pulled my wife down and she completely agreed. Let’s just say I watched the rest of the movie with my old set up and I was in disbelief. So much in fact that I watched 3 Days to Kill right behind it (pretty good flick by the way). When I used to watch a movie with my old Yammy settings, I typically had it at a volume level of about -18 or -19. Hell, if I go down to -18 with these new settings, I’d blow myself out of the room. I like my movies a bit on the LOUD side and I had to watch both at levels right around -23 & -24! So, a combination of a few small tweaks has made it a no-brainer decision for me. I am not keeping the A7’s, the CSiA6 or the FXiAs. They are all for sale!

I also need to add that throughout this whole process, I have really come to appreciate the look and the positioning of my in-walls a bit more. As days went by every time I walked into the room I just saw three massive speakers sitting up front. I was really unsure if I would ever be able to get used to them being there. Sure, they are gorgeous speakers with a beautiful finish on them…but I was kidding myself by thinking I’d get used to the look. I am glad that I went thru this process and tried out these speakers, I have ZERO regrets. I had wondered since Day 1 of my reno if I was missing out. But in my situation, I have confirmed that I am not. I think that says A LOT about Polk’s in-wall RT (and LS) series speakers. I read a lot of reviews on their in-walls back in the day and they really do get rave reviews. After a year of use, they are legit.

I’ve got the A9’s and A7’s listed on Craigslist here and here and I’ve got the CSiA6 and two pairs of FXiA4’s on eBay here and here.

Once I sell all of these Polk’s, I’ll be placing my order for my 2nd PSA XV-15 with Tom. If you already have an elephant in the corner, you might as well have two! Yes, the wife knows it’s coming…
I have been watching your thread for a while and it's been a fun journey. I really love the build with the open space and family in mind. I'm wondering where the A9's came from? I saw one picture of them at your office I think? Did you buy them and the A7's at the same time just for testing purposes?

Again I want to add that your build has inspired me in many ways and I will change many things in my next build. I may even start a thread just so I can look back and see what I come up with.
post #349 of 359 Unread 12-19-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBase View Post
I have been watching your thread for a while and it's been a fun journey. I really love the build with the open space and family in mind. I'm wondering where the A9's came from? I saw one picture of them at your office I think? Did you buy them and the A7's at the same time just for testing purposes?

Again I want to add that your build has inspired me in many ways and I will change many things in my next build. I may even start a thread just so I can look back and see what I come up with.
I bought all of the Polk's to audition in my room. When I saw the size of the A7's in my room, I knew there was NO WAY I'd like the look of the 9's. So the 9's never got opened!

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #350 of 359 Unread 12-21-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post
I haven't watched it on Blu yet but I did see EoT in theaters and it is an awesome movie.
SupaKats and GEC5741,

You weren't kidding about Edge of Tomorrow. Generally not a huge Tom Cruise fan but that movie was EPIC. Fantastic movie. My wife was out of town, kids were at least 2 hours in a deep sleep so I really let it rip down there last night. I watched Enders Game right after but I'd give that movie a C+ or B- at best. Good effects but the storyline was beat for me.

Also watched Harry Potter Goblet of Fire earlier in the day with my kiddos (we are watching each movie as my 9 year-old daughter finishes each book). First time I've ever watched three movies in my room in one day.

I couldn't be happier with my 5030. Picture is just absolutely gorgeous. I am starting to wonder if it could look better on a nicer screen though. Perhaps in another year or two I'll give that more consideration...

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #351 of 359 Unread 12-23-2014, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Yep Edge of Tomorrow was really good I thought! I know what you mean about watching a lot in one day. Yesterday my sister who is in town for xmas came over with my nephew and we watched Guardians of the Galaxy then proceeded to watch the first Hobbit. That's like 5 hours in a row of movies. It was a blast. She wants to come by again to see the second one so they can all go see the new one in theaters and she will know what's going on. Love having a theater! I still don't even have a screen at all and it's still great. Can't wait to see what it's going to look like on an actual screen. The only thing that worries me now about actually having a screen is seeing the top and bottom of the screen in scope. I have a feeling I'll be wanting to make some masking sooner then later. Right now it's not bad because my wall is really dark so it's almost not noticeable.

P.S. If you like Metallica at all I suggest watching Through the Never! Truly epic with the sound cranked up! I had a few people over on Friday and I showed that and they were blown away!

Last edited by gec5741; 12-23-2014 at 11:41 AM.
post #352 of 359 Unread 12-23-2014, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Yep Edge of Tomorrow was really good I thought! I know what you mean about watching a lot in one day. Yesterday my sister who is in town for xmas came over with my nephew and we watched Guardians of the Galaxy then proceeded to watch the first Hobbit. That's like 5 hours in a row of movies. It was a blast. She wants to come by again to see the second one so they can all go see the new one in theaters and she will know what's going on. Love having a theater! I still don't even have a screen at all and it's still great. Can't wait to see what it's going to look like on an actual screen. The only thing that worries me now about actually having a screen is seeing the top and bottom of the screen in scope. I have a feeling I'll be wanting to make some masking sooner then later. Right now it's not bad because my wall is really dark so it's almost not noticeable.

P.S. If you like Metallica at all I suggest watching Through the Never! Truly epic with the sound cranked up! I had a few people over on Friday and I showed that and they were blown away!
When I watched EOT, I watched it in 2D. I've read a bunch of reviews and threads on the 3D version and from what I can gather, it's worth picking up. It's only $19.99 right now so I am going to grab it. Often times the only 3D demos I can do for people in my room are with animated films so this will be nice to have in my room. What a great movie.

As for Through the Never, I own it as well. Great movie with some sick audio! If you are a DMB fan, you should consider picking up Live at Radio City Music Hall The audio quality on that BR will boggle your mind. Might be the clearest I've ever heard in terms of a BR concert. Check it out if you haven't already.

As for the screen, you won't notice the top and bottom at all and I can guarantee you won't feel the need to go thru the trouble of masking. Plus, the masking looks silly when you turn the lights on. So cool that you are satisfied with the picture on a bare wall. It will look phenomenal to you when on screen.

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #353 of 359 Unread 12-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Yea I wouldn't mind rewatching EOT in 3d! I may have to at least rent it or see if I can.

I'm not a huge DMB fan but my wife is. I don't mind them really and I'm sure I'd enjoy the concert so maybe I'll look for it. I alway's like to get things for my wife to watch to get the WAF level up!

Yea I'm excited because if I am excited now when I get my screen I'm hoping to be even more excited. So you don't think I'll see the top and bottom of the screen more then I do now? As it is now It's hardly noticeable and would not even think about masking. but will see how it looks with the white screen and if it bugs me or not. Id really rather not go through the trouble of masking but again will see. If I do it will be something I can remove easily and install easily and when the lights are down you woudn't notice it.
post #354 of 359 Unread 12-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

I originally thought the masking wouldn't make a difference, but man is it nice. I made a couple panels out of some 1/2" rigid foam insulation, velvet and velcro. While not the most convenient thing to put up, for $30 it makes quite a difference.

I've been meaning to get some before/after pics without and with the panels up.

post #355 of 359 Unread 12-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

If you can take a few pic ooh the panels themselves if you can. Thanks!
post #356 of 359 Unread 12-23-2014, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

I sure will. But as Annapolis said, if the bars don't bother you I wouldn't worry about it. I tend to obsess over these things and that's why I created them.

post #357 of 359 Unread 12-24-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just read through your thread here, I just want to say you did a great job! A beautiful room! I have a quick question for you. The picture you posted of your Ipad mounted on wall has a screen that shows the different devices you are controlling. Is that a special app? I just have the regular app icons and what you are showing looks cool. Thanks! And again great room!
post #358 of 359 Unread 12-24-2014, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhcoogsfan View Post
I have a quick question for you. The picture you posted of your Ipad mounted on wall has a screen that shows the different devices you are controlling. Is that a special app? I just have the regular app icons and what you are showing looks cool. Thanks! And again great room!
Thanks so much for the kind words. I am very happy with the way the room turned out. I can't tell you how much we enjoy it as a family.

About the iPad wallpaper. I only use a handful of apps on this iPad like Sonos, Yamaha and OPPO. That left alot of blank screen when I have the iPad on the home screen (I pushed all the other permanent apps over to the 2nd home page). So rather than look at a mostly blank screen, I scoured the internet for the logos of many of the products that I am using in my room (Polk, OPPO, Elite, Pro-ject, Emotiva, etc.) and more or less made a wallpaper with a black background - incorporating the logos throughout. That way when I get to home screen it looks filled up - sort of advertising if you will!

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #359 of 359 Unread Today, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your reply! Again great job on your room!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Basement Bar