TBL's Media Room | Basement Reno Thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

Old 12-29-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Hey man! Been a while since I stopped by. Good call on the center console very nice and the outlets a nice touch. Speaking of teams, mine is unlikely to even make the playoffs. Oh well there is always next year I guess.

Looking good as always and Happy New Year!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementHT5 View Post
Congrats on Division...once the 'Skins committed to my Spartan alum, Cousins, they turned it around.

I saw an advertisement on BudLight for a new goal light that can be operated via bluetooth and linked to go off everytime your hockey team scores a goal. If they're able to do that, I cannot see how you couldn't get the 'Skins fight song programmed through some type of medium to go off for TDs.

If you're able to do that on your own, you'll have to post that with some type of donation requirement as that would be superb.
HT5, that's exactly where my son got the idea. I was showing him the REDLIGHT from Budweiser and he asked the question. Believe it or not, I had done some research on people trying to hijack the coding in that thing so they can make it work for other sports!

I'll figure something out. I always do. I did post on the Yammy thread to see if anyone had any wild ideas. We'll see. Good to hear from you.

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread
Old 12-30-2015, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
Hey man! Been a while since I stopped by. Good call on the center console very nice and the outlets a nice touch. Speaking of teams, mine is unlikely to even make the playoffs. Oh well there is always next year I guess.

Looking good as always and Happy New Year!

Regards,

RTROSE
Great to hear from you RT. If I remember correctly, you are a Colts fan???

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Old 12-31-2015, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
Great to hear from you RT. If I remember correctly, you are a Colts fan???
Yes that would be correct. I'm a Colts fan above all else, however I love watching Manning play so I had to become a closet Broncos fan. Of course you can't be a Colts fan and not hate the Pats so when the Giants beat them for the Superbowl win I became a Giants fan as well.

The Broncos may have a chance for some post season play but I don't see them going the distance.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Old 01-14-2016, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey, THANKS tcramer! Much appreciated. Good to hear from you.

I am currently trying to figure out a way to play Hail to the Redskins through my sound system while I am watching a game in my theater room. I have the song in my library (which I can access thru my Sonos via iTunes and/or Google Play). Problem is though...I have to change the input to "Sonos" on my Yammy which then would turn off the PJ/HD cable that is running thru a different input mode.

Sure, I could put a little Sonos Play 1 down there but I'd like to be able to play the song with some balls thru my 7.2 system immediately when a TD is scored. Any ideas?

My AVR is a Yamaha RX-A1010.

Perhaps I should post about this on the Yammy thread and see if anyone has any ideas that I haven't thought of yet...
The good news: I did some more research on the Zone 2 function of my RX-A1010 and I can play different sources/music out of the MAIN ZONE and ZONE 2 simultaneously. So, I ended up hooking my rear surrounds (in-ceiling) to Zone 2. So, while I've got the game on thru my front stage and surrounds, I can hit play and play Hail to the Redskins while the TV/AUDIO is still on. I even cut back the HTTR song to 1:03 so it just plays one full verse and it doesn't drag on for 2 minutes. I still have to use the iPad on my wall to initiate the song each time (which my son gladly does within seconds of the Skins scoring a TD).

At this time I am working on installing an illuminated button/switch of some sort so I can punch it and the song will automatically play via my iTunes library/Sonos/Zone 2 speakers. I've got a couple of different options to make that happen, I just have to decide which one to go with. Credit due to some others that gave me some sound advice on some threads I posted over in the automation section.

The bad news: The Redskins lost in the first round of the playoffs. I'll have to wait until next year to play Hail to the Redskins.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Hey! I was Annapolis I did see this earlier in the week and was trying to give it some thought. Glad you made some progress on figuring it out. Post up your solution the push putton idea if you can. I'd like to do something similar but for the black hawks games. I'd love to hit a button and have the horn sound and go into their Chelsea Dagger theme song! For me I was thinking I can just use my jukebox setup and speakers as they run through a separate system as the theater. But I'd also like to be able to use it out in the bar area while watching a TV that is currently running sound on that same system.

Anyway sorry for your Redskins. I am a packer fan and I was actually surprised they decided to finally play some football. They have been struggling lately. Not liking their chances though this Saturday against Arizona! It was fun while it lasted .
Old 01-14-2016, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Hey! I was Annapolis I did see this earlier in the week and was trying to give it some thought. Glad you made some progress on figuring it out. Post up your solution the push putton idea if you can. I'd like to do something similar but for the black hawks games. I'd love to hit a button and have the horn sound and go into their Chelsea Dagger theme song! For me I was thinking I can just use my jukebox setup and speakers as they run through a separate system as the theater. But I'd also like to be able to use it out in the bar area while watching a TV that is currently running sound on that same system.

Anyway sorry for your Redskins. I am a packer fan and I was actually surprised they decided to finally play some football. They have been struggling lately. Not liking their chances though this Saturday against Arizona! It was fun while it lasted .
If you're familiar with electronics, there are some really cool options you can rig up a Raspberry Pi to do this. Or this little MP3 trigger device looks really cool and lets you load up to 18 different MP3s and then wire them to different buttons. You could rig up a cool little sound panel to play some different noises depending on what's called for.

The cheapo option would be to find some sort of simple voice record or sound recorder on Amazon that plays with a push-button. You can find a bunch of them that are made for things like plush toys you squeeze to make a sound. The trick would just be to find one that has a sound output, rather than just a dinky speaker.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

GEC,

Here is what I posted (to Neurorad) on the other thread this evening:

That SD-10 Audio Repeater made by Gilderfluke & Co. is DEFINITELY an option for me. I would also need to purchase the power supply, so I'd be in it for around $240.00. It looks like I can install the song on the SD flash card and some sort of a push-button will trigger it. RCA audio cables will connect from the device directly to the back of my AVR (at whatever analog input I choose) as my Zone 2 only will play an analog signal. If I am comprehending all of this correctly, I should be able to have Hail to the Redskins on demand without having to get up and initiate it with my iPad/iTunes library/Sonos!?!?

The one thing that I am CLUELESS is about though is how the push-button device will connect to the SD-10 but I'm sure it is relatively simple and I can figure it out with a small amount of research online. I just need to be sure that the push-button is compatible with the inputs on the SD-10.

I guess the next thing I will be researching is if there are larger buttons out there (like the size of the red STAPLES button) that can be customized. Ideally I would like to have a 2"-3" button that has "HTTR" on it - potentially that lights up as well. I would imagine that someone out there makes some sort of a clear button that opens up so you can put some sort of a label inside it???? I may be asking for too much...we'll see.

Also, I am most likely going to mount the button to a wall...quite possibly right up next to my projector housing or on the wall near my equipment & flatscreen TV. The wall beside my projector housing would be ideal as it is an easy conduit for wiring back to my rack in my equipment room:

My first choice would be to put a button on the front of my bar (seen above) between the two middle seats but I have absolutely no way to get wiring into that structure due to the granite countertop. I could bring the wire down the lally column (white wood trim) from above but there are too many 2x6's inside of the structure and I wouldn't be able to bring it out to the drywall.

The other option would be to put a button on the wall between my equipment rack and my flatscreen TV:

This plan is not in stone of course so I am still up for any ideas that folks out there might have. Fire away!

Old 01-14-2016, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I forgot to address the football (the most important part ). Your Packers came to DC to play and popped out of their slump at the right time. Our weak o-line was exposed big time by your defense. I'm not sure why we weren't exposed that bad in previous games. Brutal. Bottom line is that Aaron Rodgers is a football genius. He doesn't have the quality of receivers that he has had in the past but HE MAKES IT WORK. He called some audibles against our D that were just brilliant. Gotta hand it to him...he still knows how to win the big games.

If I had to guess, Carolina or AZ takes home the big trophy this year. Good luck next week!

Old 01-14-2016, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Any time I see and update on your thread I jump right on it.... great work.
Your latest endeavor really got me intrigued... so I when googling.... these are more for car audio but hey why not
What about something like THIS that is remote controlled, therefor your current remote could IR learn the play and it has an audio out.

Or THIS....

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Old 01-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Sorry just seen in you other thread that you want a push button to activate it

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Old 01-15-2016, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I forgot to address the football (the most important part ). Your Packers came to DC to play and popped out of their slump at the right time. Our weak o-line was exposed big time by your defense. I'm not sure why we weren't exposed that bad in previous games. Brutal. Bottom line is that Aaron Rodgers is a football genius. He doesn't have the quality of receivers that he has had in the past but HE MAKES IT WORK. He called some audibles against our D that were just brilliant. Gotta hand it to him...he still knows how to win the big games.

If I had to guess, Carolina or AZ takes home the big trophy this year. Good luck next week!

Wow that may be more work and more money in this type of project then I'm willing to give! I'll keep looking though and see if I can come up with an elegant but inexpensive solution .

Yes it was nice as a packer fan to see them show signs of getting out of that slump. You are right about the recievers not helping Rogers out. It was nice to see him seem to be into it again with a smile on his face. The redskins are looking to be a team that is definitely on the rise! Cousins is a good QB for sure.

If I was a betting man though I would have to wager that it's going to be AZ and Carolina in the SB this year. We will see. I'll be up in Wisconsin this weekend while the GB vs AZ game is going on. Both boy's have hockey tournaments up there this weekend. Hoping I can find somewhere to catch the game. I wonder if it will be on anywhere???
Old 01-15-2016, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

GEC,

I am kind of riding two different threads on this topic...so I just cut and pasted from the other:

So I just took a closer look at this unit:

300-second USB Recording Module @ electronics123.com

I figure for $15.99, it might be worth a shot. Worse case it doesn't work and I'm only out a measly 15 bucks. The audio output is 3.5mm but I can use something like this Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable from Monoprice to adapt it to my AVR. The only fly in the ointment right now is how long the pushbutton wire is (blue). This will obviously dictate the location of my pushbutton if it is only 12-18" long. I have emailed the company to see if they have any flexibility on how long they can make the wire to the pushbutton switch and if I might be able to hook my own pushbuttons to this device.

I'm sure the software for loading the song on can't be too hateful. Interesting that it is only compatible with Windows 7. I have one solid computer right now that has Windows 7 on it (the rest are Macs) so I should be ok there.

I'll report back on my findings...

Old 01-15-2016, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

That looks promising as an inexpensive option. I'm interested to see how it works out if you try one. 15 bucks isn't bad and like you said if it doesn't work well then your only out 15 bucks. $250 on the other hand may be a tough sell for me to the misses for something like this. For me though I may just go with something from my phone. I have to figure out how I'd want to to work it if I ever did work on this. I have 2 locations in my basement. 1 is the theater and 2 is the bar area. Now lets say were watching a Hawks game and I have it on in both locations. I'd be using both recievers for game sound. I have to look at my recievers but I think my TX-NR737 has 2 zones. However I don't know if I really want to split up the zones while watching a game? Now I could only use the onkyo for sound and have the game only on the above bar tv and keep the receiver on my jukebox. that would give me the bar speakers for playing the sound effect or fight song type thing. Not ideal as it would be nice to have game sound out there as well. heheh maybe this is getting more complicated then it needs to be .
Old 01-16-2016, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Been following along with your quest to have a victory sound play after the Skins score a TD. I had a DOH! moment when you mentioned the zone 2 feature. As you know I have the 1010 as well and have had two different, as well as the same source playing at the same time in the two zones. I did not even think about this as a solution for your idea until I saw that you had already discovered it. Boy some helper I am huh? On the issue of the wire length it looks like it would be expensive to have them do it. Is there any reason why you can't lengthen the wires yourself? Maybe there is something I'm missing but it should not be too hard to do that.

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 01-17-2016, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
Been following along with your quest to have a victory sound play after the Skins score a TD. I had a DOH! moment when you mentioned the zone 2 feature. As you know I have the 1010 as well and have had two different, as well as the same source playing at the same time in the two zones. I did not even think about this as a solution for your idea until I saw that you had already discovered it. Boy some helper I am huh? On the issue of the wire length it looks like it would be expensive to have them do it. Is there any reason why you can't lengthen the wires yourself? Maybe there is something I'm missing but it should not be too hard to do that.
RT, are you following this thread? I updated this morning on my latest "plan". Always subject to change though. You know how things can change in a heartbeat around this joint...

Triggering a song to play in my HT with the touch of ONE button?!?!

Old 01-17-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes I guess I should have said I am following both. But my failure remains the same. LOL I'll check in on your latest plan on the other thread. (Insert evil maniacal laugh here)

Regards,

RTROSE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Basement Bar