Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 310 Old 05-22-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Wait.............no demo of the new speakers?

C'mon man...............mad.gif

LOL!

Congrats everything is looking pretty cool!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 310 Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 89
My wife and I sat down with a designer and started working models for the back wall. Here is the final rendition that we came up with:

Bottom line is that my wife just likes expensive. Not on purpose. Always has to pick the most expensive damn cabinets. Always seems to work out that way. wink.gif I'm looking at a pretty penny when it's all said and done with cabinets, granite, back splash, lighting, frig and microwave. Since my wife has some other priorities in mind for our house, I think we will put the back wall on the back burner for now and proceed with doing the rest of the baseboards, trim, paint, etc. I'll leave the baseboards off the back wall in that area and I'll finish that up when we can afford to pull the trigger on the whole sha-bang at once.

Something tells me I am going to have the OPPO and the PJ before I even have furniture to sit on and definitely before we get the back wall situated! Keeping my beer cold down there is a huge priority for me but so is keeping my wife happy! LOL. biggrin.gif

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 310 Old 05-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

My wife and I sat down with a designer and started working models for the back wall. Here is the final rendition that we came up with:

Bottom line is that my wife just likes expensive. Not on purpose. Always has to pick the most expensive damn cabinets. Always seems to work out that way. wink.gif I'm looking at a pretty penny when it's all said and done with cabinets, granite, back splash, lighting, frig and microwave. Since my wife has some other priorities in mind for our house, I think we will put the back wall on the back burner for now and proceed with doing the rest of the baseboards, trim, paint, etc. I'll leave the baseboards off the back wall in that area and I'll finish that up when we can afford to pull the trigger on the whole sha-bang at once.

Something tells me I am going to have the OPPO and the PJ before I even have furniture to sit on and definitely before we get the back wall situated! Keeping my beer cold down there is a huge priority for me but so is keeping my wife happy! LOL. biggrin.gif

Looks nice at least

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #94 of 310 Old 06-02-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

This weekend I was mainly just screwing around with some electrical odd and ends. I installed light switches for two of the pull-string lights in my large storage room and I also put in a light switch for my pull-string light in my "rack room" where I access the back of my rack. No more swinging blindly in the dark for the strings when I walk into those rooms! biggrin.gif LOL.

I also cut out the drywall today where I plan to install step lights in the walls of my staircase. I decided to just install just 3 total...which will give me plenty of lighting on the way down our rather "dark" staircase. This was one project that my wife CERTAINLY welcomed. I decided to spend the extra $$$ and go dimmable so that we can control the amount of light. Last thing I want is to install the non-dimmable lights and have them too bright. I plan to run another Maestro dimmer switch and make it a double gang at the top of the stairs. Here's the Kichler 12656 dimmable step light that I decided to go with (nothing fancy):

Created by fCoder Graphic Processor

Here are a couple of shots from today's work:

Holding up the baseboard that will eventually be installed in the staircase:

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

post #95 of 310 Old 06-23-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Father's Day was very good to me as I was able to spend the weekend away at Deep Creek Lake with family and watch a solid 5-hours of the US Open on Sunday. My Father's day gift enabled me to continue filling up my in-wall rack with gear...a brand new Pro-ject Carbon Debut turntable. I have to admit that I am a newbie to the turntable thing so it took me about an hour or so to put it together, get the counterweights and anti-skating right, etc. Never knew that there was that much set up involved in a TT! I took her down the other night and hooked her up to my system and it sounds absolutely magnificent. It met and exceeded all of my expectations. Very, very impressed with Pro-ject. For the money, this is a great deal and exactly what I needed. I went with the high-gloss piano black so it blends right in with my rack.

I think the best part of it was taking my 7 year-old daughter and my 5 year-old son down there and explaining to them what a record was - LOL. All they really know is digital music (iTunes) on their iPads and thru our Sonos system in the house. Ever try to explain what a record is to someone? LOL. They couldn't believe that there was actually music engrained in that piece of black plastic wink.gif and that it was playing music through that tiny little needle. Started off with some oldies but goodies from the vinyl collection ranging from MJ's Thriller...to some Run DMC...to some Stevie Wonder...to some Styx. Adding a TT to my media room is very nostalgic for me and I could not be happier that I planned for this all along. Brings back a lot of memories from my childhood...that is for sure.

The new TT is on a Salamander pull-out shelf that I built into the in-wall rack. A couple of pics of the new addition:

Without cover:

With cover:

Lights in stairway get wired up this week and then I can start to think about painting, baseboards, trim, etc. I cannot wait to get rid of the god-awful carpet and gold door hardware throughout the basement too!

post #96 of 310 Old 06-30-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

A while back I picked up three of these IKEA LERBERG DVD racks (they are dirt cheap at $5.99ea).

The paint finish on the steel is pretty darn nice considering what you pay for these things. It does not appear to be a cheap paint job so I will not have to worry about chipping, peeling, etc. over time.

So today I had an hour or so to kill (while it was a torrential rain outside) so I decided to mount them. For DVD's you mount them vertically, for CD's you mount them horizontally. I mounted them inside my equipment rack room (on the one and only unused wall) so that my DVDs are out of sight. I'm not one to try to display my DVD's and frankly, it's just one less thing that "little hands" would be able to get their hands on down in my media room if I didn't have them locked away. wink.gif

I have lined all of the walls in my equipment rack room with brown 5/8" hardboard so I had to unscrew one sheet so that I could install some horizontal studs where the racks would need to mount to the wall. I put all 3 racks side by side (up against one another) and I am very happy with the way they turned out. The lighting over near the DVD rack is not great so I apologize for the pic being a little dark:

Next time I am in the area, I am going to stop by IKEA and pick up a couple more. Just in case I ever need to mount a couple more of these as my blu-ray collection grows. smile.gif

post #97 of 310 Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I've been following your build and enjoy reading your updates. I have one question. Where did you get the step lights from ?

Thanks.
post #98 of 310 Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouraxe View Post

Hi, I've been following your build and enjoy reading your updates. I have one question. Where did you get the step lights from ?

Thanks.

Fouraxe,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. In the past, I have bought most of my lighting through lightingdirect.com. However, in this case, mylightingsource.com was offering the dimmable version of the Kichler step light that I wanted at $63.00ea (as opposed to $75-$77 everywhere else). There is a cheaper version of this light that is not dimmable (sells for around $40 I think) but I went with the dimmable so that I can control how bright they are in my stairwell. I had no way of testing out these lights beforehand so I didn't know just how bright they were going to be. Last thing I wanted is to have lights that are too bright or not bright enough.

As you probably know, there are a bunch of lighting stores online that offer step lights like this Kichler brand. You pretty much just have to browse around at all of the online stores when you know which lights you are going to go with. Here is a link to the Kichler website:

Kichler 12656WH LED

Here is a link to the site that I ended up purchasing mine from (price is back up to $75 now):

http://www.mylightingsource.com/Kichler_Lighting_12656WH_p/kl.12656wh.htm

Hope this helps...

post #99 of 310 Old 07-19-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Electrician came by yesterday and wired up my LED step lights and I could not be happier with them. Best move I ever made was to buy the "dimmable" version of these lights.

These lights would be too bright (at least for my taste) so now I have the ability to dim them down. For anyone that is considering going which way to go, go with the dimmable versions of step lights if you can afford it. You'll thank me later. And, for the record, my wife took at look at them and said, "Honey, you were right...they look incredible and now I can finally see on my way down the stairs." wink.gif

Ordered 224 LF of 5 1/4" baseboard today from the lumber yard (I have a great hook there too) so it is time for me to get out the saws again and start slinging some baseboard in mid-August. A lot of debate around here as to whether or not I should install baseboard before or after carpet. I've decided to install before the new carpet is installed.

Also kicking around diff. carpet/paint samples with the wife as we have a great hook with a friend of mine that has a big carpet business. We've used him for years. I've referred him out tens of thousands of dollars worth of business as of late so now it's payback time! biggrin.gif He's going to going to get me a high quality carpet for about half the price so I'm thrilled to death about that. He's a good dude.

Summer vacations have been preventing me from doing hardly anything but who can complain about that. smile.gif

post #100 of 310 Old 07-20-2013, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

A while back I picked up three of these IKEA LERBERG DVD racks (they are dirt cheap at $5.99ea).

The paint finish on the steel is pretty darn nice considering what you pay for these things. It does not appear to be a cheap paint job so I will not have to worry about chipping, peeling, etc. over time.

So today I had an hour or so to kill (while it was a torrential rain outside) so I decided to mount them. For DVD's you mount them vertically, for CD's you mount them horizontally. I mounted them inside my equipment rack room (on the one and only unused wall) so that my DVDs are out of sight. I'm not one to try to display my DVD's and frankly, it's just one less thing that "little hands" would be able to get their hands on down in my media room if I didn't have them locked away. wink.gif

I have lined all of the walls in my equipment rack room with brown 5/8" hardboard so I had to unscrew one sheet so that I could install some horizontal studs where the racks would need to mount to the wall. I put all 3 racks side by side (up against one another) and I am very happy with the way they turned out. The lighting over near the DVD rack is not great so I apologize for the pic being a little dark:

Next time I am in the area, I am going to stop by IKEA and pick up a couple more. Just in case I ever need to mount a couple more of these as my blu-ray collection grows. smile.gif

6 bucks?! Those are sweet!

post #101 of 310 Old 07-22-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

6 bucks?! Those are sweet!

The quality of these things is SHOCKING considering they are from IKEA and only $6 each. I wish I had more room in my equipment room to put more of them on the walls. I'm good for now though because I'll just start removing my regular DVD's when the BR discs start to add up. biggrin.gif

Regular DVDs are USELESS rolleyes.gif

post #102 of 310 Old 07-22-2013, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Those racks are nice. I might have to pick up a few for my rack room.

Bacon

post #103 of 310 Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

So I've got a random notched-out area on one wall in my basement that is approximately 54"H x 58"W X 15" deep. Not sure why they did this when they finished the basement but I've been struggling to figure out what the heck to do with it for months. There is only an outlet back there (no cable connection) so I cannot say that they were thinking this would be a good place for a TV. confused.gif This weekend I finally decided to get off my a$$ and turn it into something. I ran the idea of turning it into an in-wall shelving unit by my wife and she loved it. Now she will have a place to "accessorize" and "decorate" as they like to call it. biggrin.gif

While listening to the final round of the Open yesterday, I cut away the carpet and was able to build the basic frame work and square, mount and set the ledges that will hold the shelves. The carpenter that finished off our basement actually did a pretty good job with this notch-out as everything was surprisingly square and level to begin with. The flooring was a hair higher on one side but I was able to adjust for that with a shim. The fact that this thing was so square really made my job MUCH easier as I was planning and sketching this thing out on paper yesterday. I still have to pick up the 3/4" thick panels for all three shelves and get them cut, sanded, primed and painted. I used these kiln-dried panels from Lowe's for my equipment rack a few months ago so I plan to use them again for these.

My wife wants to paint the back and side walls in this thing the same color as the walls throughout the rest of the basement. The shelves will obviously be the same color as the trim throughout the basement and they should pop nicely against the darker wall color. For the shelves I am planning to use the same Benjamin Moore Advance paint that I used for my equipment rack (with the same primer) because the combination was excellent. BIG FAN OF THE BM ADVANCE!

Here is the progression of that shelving unit:

post #104 of 310 Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looks awesome!

I have more of an open concept media room I'm working on and actually built a rack that looks like yours with the back in the mechanical room near the furnace. What did you do for the back of your rack to close it off while keeping it accessible (for looks and acoustical purposes)?

post #105 of 310 Old 08-01-2013, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

Looks awesome!

I have more of an open concept media room I'm working on and actually built a rack that looks like yours with the back in the mechanical room near the furnace. What did you do for the back of your rack to close it off while keeping it accessible (for looks and acoustical purposes)?

Thanks man...my room is still a work in progress. Not being able to work on it as much as I'd like this Summer has absolutely killed me but we've been enjoying many vacations and have been having a blast with the kiddos.

OK, so when I designed my in-wall cabinet, I wanted two things. First, I wanted it open in front and in back for ventilation reasons. I'm not a big fan of glass in front of the components and I think it would just help things heat up more which is exactly what you don't want in your equipment rack! And second, I wanted to keep the adjustable shelves / components close enough together (but yet just far enough apart for ventilation reasons) to where it is difficult to physically see through the cabinet. Being that the shelves and trim are painted black to match the components, that's helps too. I also ran all of the cables and wires up and out of the way as to minimize how many of them ran directly behind the shelves. Any that did have to run up/down behind the shelves I used black tubing to camouflage them. In the equipment room where I access the back of my rack, there is a brand new HVAC system complete with silver fiberglass-insulated duct work and a huge white 80 gal hot water tank. I even had some copper pipe that ran from the hot water heater up to the ceiling on which I installed some black Armaflex insulation to black it out. I blacked out everything with flat black paint (even the wood studs on one of the walls and the inside of the entrance door) so that there was no chance of seeing ANYTHING thru the rack. As far as acoustics goes, it really isn't an issue when the system kicks on. If I am down there watching a movie, there is a 1% chance that I'll ever hear it because it is about 7 or 8 feet away from the back of my rack. Fortunately for me I have a very quiet/efficient system so it will never be an issue for me.

Have you started a thread on your build?

post #106 of 310 Old 08-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Sweet, thanks for the info!! I too plan to keep the front open for ventilation purposes like you. Maybe I'll try like you did leaving it open but just making anything behind it black - it would be worth a shot.

I haven't - my thinking was it is so far below most of them on here it wouldn't be worth it.

post #107 of 310 Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I haven't - my thinking was it is so far below most of them on here it wouldn't be worth it.

The only reason I started a thread was so that I could reap the benefits of so much knowledge here on these boards and hear others opinions and experiences when i post a question about my renovation. I am truly thankful for those that have taken time to share with me what has worked for them, etc. It is amazing how many times I have changed my mind and gone a completely different direction because of excellent advice/opinions I have received here at AVS. I'm not even half way there yet and I'll bet my mind will change many more times before it is all said and done. LOL. This is why I love this place.

Plus, I have saved a TON of money as I acquire my A/V equipment for my room!!!!

post #108 of 310 Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Sweet, thanks for the info!! I too plan to keep the front open for ventilation purposes like you. Maybe I'll try like you did leaving it open but just making anything behind it black - it would be worth a shot.

No theater is too big or too small for a thread. We love them all.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #109 of 310 Old 08-11-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

No theater is too big or too small for a thread. We love them all.

Every single idea out there - big or small - inspires someone here on the boards...that is fo' sho'. biggrin.gif

Back from Breckenridge...TIME TO DIG IN AGAIN!!!!

post #110 of 310 Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Every single idea out there - big or small - inspires someone here on the boards...that is fo' sho'. biggrin.gif

Back from Breckenridge...TIME TO DIG IN AGAIN!!!!

If I get some time I'll try to get some pictures taken and a thread started. It's more of an open concept room (due to WAF), but I'll take what I can get!

post #111 of 310 Old 08-15-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, I am admitting my 1st mistake right now. NOT planning for a bigger screen in my room and committing to the 100-inch way too early in the renovation process. Don't get me wrong...it looks BIG enough up on the wall. However, it could look bigger! biggrin.gif Because of the position of the left and right in-wall speakers, I've only got an additional 8" to play with (4" on each side). Sooooooo, the only upgrade I can make is to a 106-inch. 110-inch would be too wide. Should I do it???? Is it worth the $275? I think so... eek.gif

confused.gif

post #112 of 310 Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Alright, I am admitting my 1st mistake right now. NOT planning for a bigger screen in my room and committing to the 100-inch way too early in the renovation process. Don't get me wrong...it looks BIG enough up on the wall. However, it could look bigger! biggrin.gif Because of the position of the left and right in-wall speakers, I've only got an additional 8" to play with (4" on each side). Sooooooo, the only upgrade I can make is to a 106-inch. 110-inch would be too wide. Should I do it???? Is it worth the $275? I think so... eek.gif

confused.gif

I personally don't think it's worth $275 but if you really want to go bigger you could go with an AT screen. Not sure what the cost would be but then you don't have to worry about the speakers. You could even consider moving the center up to ear night if you wanted.

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #113 of 310 Old 08-15-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

+1 on the AT screen. Cost is pretty minimal with some of the DIY options out there. You get the added benefit of having the sound from the LCR's coming right through the screen. It really does make a difference.

-

post #114 of 310 Old 08-15-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

+1 on the AT screen. Cost is pretty minimal with some of the DIY options out there. You get the added benefit of having the sound from the LCR's coming right through the screen. It really does make a difference.

BllDo, that is an excellent suggestion and, I would love nothing more than to be able to hide those speakers behind a white over silver Spandex AT screen. There is no doubt I could build a damn good one and be very satisfied with it. However, here is the problem. My throw is not negotiable and that sits right at about 12.5'. I am considering the Epson 5020 and the Panny 8000 and both tap out at a 120-inch screen size (16:9) due to the throw distance. Right now my L & R speakers are approximately 118" apart (outside of speaker to outside of speaker)...give or take a couple of inches since I am at the office and can't exactly measure. Sooooooo, that means that I would have to have a screen MUCH larger than a 120-incher to cover over where the L & R speakers are now. Not an option because then we are getting too close to the window and the ceiling. The only other option is to move the L & R speakers IN (and the CC up) where they would be covered by a new 110-inch or 120-inch screen. That would mean that I would have to get my drywall guy back out to patch the old speaker holes (more drywall work) mad.gif . I'm not sure if I'm willing to go thru all of that trouble at this stage just to have the speakers behind the screen. Need to sleep on that one! biggrin.gif

This is what I should have planned ALL ALONG but, being the newbie that I am, I had no idea about AT screens and the ability to put - even in-wall speakers - behind them. It would be super nice to be able to hide those front three speakers behind a screen. biggrin.gif

Here's the screen wall as it sits today:

Here's where the PJ is going to be housed and why it is set at 12'5":

post #115 of 310 Old 08-15-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, gotcha. Patching drywall is really not that tough. Messy and I hate doing it, but relatively easy. I feel your pain there.

You might think about another option too. If you made your screen 120", add say a 4" for a frame, that would leave ~4" on each side where the speakers are now. I wonder if there is then something else that you could hang around the frame permiter that would hide that last 4". Some velvet drapes for a "theater" look. Maybe some trim or some stained wood that might make it look like a picture hanging on the wall... not sure, just throwing out some ideas. Maybe even some book cases for BD and DVD's.

-

post #116 of 310 Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

I've talked myself down off the ledge in terms of going with a bigger screen size (for now). Huge thanks to all those people that sent me PMs and gave me sound advice. It makes much more sense to wait until I get the PJ to see if there really is a need to go bigger. If I do, I can always order the 106" and there will not be any renovation involved (or relocating speakers).

Very excited to be receiving one of the final pieces of gear for my rack later this week... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Only thing left will be to order my DVR from Verizon and purchase the PJ when she goes on sale at the end of September (fingers crossed). Slowly but surely we are getting there. Focusing on construction, trim, painting, carpet, etc. now. Time step it up a notch and put in some late evenings in the basement!

post #117 of 310 Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

THE OPPO IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! While working down there last weekend (painting) I was listening to a couple of blu-rays (Mumford & Sons Red Rocks and Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Music Hall) and the sound quality just blew me away. I'll have to wait until I get my PJ to appreciate it's PQ...but that is not far off at all! Been traveling for work a bit and I'm not going to be around for Labor Day Wknd so I'm scraping to find time to work on the basement! Its killing me. ARRRGGGHHH.

Finished up the final 2 coats of Advance on the shelves that I recently built and I couldn't be more pleased with the way they turned out. Got a couple of coats of primer on the areas that were patched with new drywall so the ceilings are officially ready for the painters. Also put three coats of battleship grey on my equipment room floor and it turned out much nicer than expected. Lots of odds and ends going on so hopefully next week I'll be able to start knocking more major items off the punch list.

post #118 of 310 Old 08-30-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Here's where the PJ is going to be housed and why it is set at 12'5":

Are you suing any ventilation fans for the PJ. Can you elaborate a bit more on its construction, I am doing something similar.
post #119 of 310 Old 08-30-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarfan View Post

Are you suing any ventilation fans for the PJ. Can you elaborate a bit more on its construction, I am doing something similar.

Well, my situation is a bit unique. The drywall plenum that you see there is 8' deep about 18" high and spans across the room 20' wide. There is duct work running in the back of the plenum across the room. So where you see the hole I cut...that area where I am setting the projector is about 48" deep and of course 20' across. The plenum is also open on the left side (as you look at the photo) which dumps into the equipment room behind my rack. It is a very large area in there and I don't see ventilation being a problem. If there ever was a problem with ventilation, I could stick a fan in there (from the equipment room side) blowing across the plenum. I'd say there is less than a 5% chance that would ever be an issue.

The other "pro" about going with the EPSON 5020 in my set up is that the intake and the exhaust is in the front of the PJ - which is the best case scenario for me.

post #120 of 310 Old 08-31-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Well, my situation is a bit unique. The drywall plenum that you see there is 8' deep about 18" high and spans across the room 20' wide. There is duct work running in the back of the plenum across the room. So where you see the hole I cut...that area where I am setting the projector is about 48" deep and of course 20' across. The plenum is also open on the left side (as you look at the photo) which dumps into the equipment room behind my rack. It is a very large area in there and I don't see ventilation being a problem. If there ever was a problem with ventilation, I could stick a fan in there (from the equipment room side) blowing across the plenum. I'd say there is less than a 5% chance that would ever be an issue.

The other "pro" about going with the EPSON 5020 in my set up is that the intake and the exhaust is in the front of the PJ - which is the best case scenario for me.

Thanks! That makes sense. I am planning to put my PJ inside the dropped basement soffit. It's already framed. There is massive space on both sides and behind the PJ. I will be getting the JVC rs46, which exhaust to the front but the intake is on the side. When will your PJ go into operation? Could you update us, when you do.

Thanks!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Basement Bar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page