TBL's Media Room | Basement Reno Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 303 Old 12-18-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 89
This past weekend I got the cabinets on the back wall leveled and set. Granite templates for the back wall and the snack ledge were done earlier this week and they return to install this Monday!

On a random note, I've been racking my brain as to how to store all of my 3-D glasses but yet keep them relatively accessible. The 4 pair of Samsung 5100GBs that I bought are tougher to store because they stay assembled and the sides don't fold in. Goofing around with a large Command hook the other night and, lo and behold, they securely hold/grab the 5100GBs AND the 2 EPSON pairs I got with my 5030. Now all my glasses are nice and accessible right above my DVDs in my equipment room. I can bang the wall hard with my fist and they don't even budge. biggrin.gif

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

904WMC Media Room Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 303 Old 12-19-2013, 07:35 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

This past weekend I got the cabinets on the back wall leveled and set. Granite templates for the back wall and the snack ledge were done earlier this week and they return to install this Monday!

On a random note, I've been racking my brain as to how to store all of my 3-D glasses but yet keep them relatively accessible. The 4 pair of Samsung 5100GBs that I bought are tougher to store because they stay assembled and the sides don't fold in. Goofing around with a large Command hook the other night and, lo and behold, they securely hold/grab the 5100GBs AND the 2 EPSON pairs I got with my 5030. Now all my glasses are nice and accessible right above my DVDs in my equipment room. I can bang the wall hard with my fist and they don't even budge. biggrin.gif

Love it when I see things repurposed, now this isn't a repurpose per se but it certainly is an unintended but very MacGyver use of what was at hand! Nice job, things are looking good in the HT!
post #183 of 303 Old 12-27-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Granite went in earlier this week and we are extremely happy with the way it turned out. biggrin.gif Apologies for the dark pics...it does not do it justice at all. I was able to get all of the trim on the snack ledge installed, caulked and painted with two coats. The snack ledge will be painted the same color as the walls so it will blend nicely and make the 1x4 and baseboard trim "pop" nicely.

To avoid having a seam run down the middle of the slab, I had them notch out the granite in the front (around the lally) and then they added back in the little filler piece that they cut out for the notch. You can barely notice the seam at about 24" inches away - it just disappears in the granite. Came out ten times better than we had hoped. Next step is to box out the lally column from granite to ceiling and then I will be ready to have the painter in to do the ceilings, walls and doors.

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

post #184 of 303 Old 12-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looking good!

I'm doing a similar thing with a snack bar, but will probably be putting beadboard all the way around. I like the look of yours.

post #185 of 303 Old 12-31-2013, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Just read ur entire thread. Wow what a great job u did! I have one question, what beverage cooler did u go with ? Thanks

GO BLUE
post #186 of 303 Old 01-02-2014, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

Just read ur entire thread. Wow what a great job u did! I have one question, what beverage cooler did u go with ? Thanks

I actually went with the Haier Beverage Center thru Lowes. Some would say its a little pricey for a built-in under-counter frig but you get what you pay for when it comes to refrigerators. I am very happy with it in terms of look, size, etc. I especially like the fact that the light comes on when you open the door and then goes back off 5 seconds later. I really just wanted something down there for beer/wine/sodas so we don't have to run up to the kitchen every time we need a cold one. I have a full-size fridge out in my garage (for overflow from the kitchen) so I didn't feel the need to put a full size down in this room. I surely didn't want to infringe on my dart board area. biggrin.gif

post #187 of 303 Old 01-02-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Finally found the time to cut the baseboards for the newly-tiled bathroom yesterday and slapped two coats of paint on them. Plan to install them tonight and paint two coats on the baseboards that I've already installed on the "kids side" of the basement. OK, I need to say it again. Benjamin Moore Advance paint is f-in magical. Smoothest paint on the market and it is hard as hell when it dries. I've used it to paint ALL of the bloody trim down there which includes over 200LF of 5 1/4" OG base, the fluted casing around the screen and the built-in shelves. You'd struggle to find a brush mark anywhere. Never seen a paint that lies down that well. [end of rant]

After this I've got maybe 5-6 door frames to paint and I will be FINISHED with my share of the painting. I guess since I installed all of the trim, I felt like I needed to paint it. rolleyes.gif Carpenter comes to box in the lally on Monday and to hook up the electric for the front of the snack ledge. Painters arrive 1/13 to hit the ceilings, walls and doors with 2 coats. Carpet contractor did final measurements today.

P.R.O.G.R.E.S.S.

post #188 of 303 Old 01-06-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

This weekend I rallied and spent at least 10 hours in the basement:

-2 coats of paint on all baseboards on the kids side

-Installed and caulked baseboards in bathroom

-Removed all 10 doors and discarded hinges, knobs, etc. (gold is so 90's)

-2 coats of paint on 7 door frames

Just need to rehang the doors on new hinges and prime/paint the lally column box-out that my carpenter installs on Wed.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo close now to turning it over to painters and carpeting contractors. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can... biggrin.gif
john171 likes this.

post #189 of 303 Old 01-07-2014, 06:04 PM

Ah, the light at the end of the tunnel. It's an amazing feeling when you have one of those work spurts and things go well!
Congrats!
post #190 of 303 Old 01-08-2014, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

My wife and I finally agreed on the stools for the snack bar. biggrin.gif

We found a coupon code online for Frontgate and got shipping for FREE! That's a bargain considering together they weigh 220lbs!

post #191 of 303 Old 01-08-2014, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

A bit OT...but the 4-year old SONY blu-ray player in my family room went up so I needed find a quick and cheap option so my kids can continue to watch movies in there when we are not watching in our media room. I picked up the SONY BDP-S3100 for a song at Crutchfield and I was blown away at what you can get for just 79 bucks! This little thing is absolutely LOADED! Connecting it to the Wifi in my home was a breeze and I was up and running in under 5 minutes. This thing offers more apps on it than the OPPO in my media room. eek.gif I HIGHLY recommend this BR player to anyone looking to stay under the $100 cap. WOW. VERY IMPRESSED WITH SONY ON THIS ONE.

post #192 of 303 Old 01-08-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Nice! If only it did 3d I'd pick one up for my soon to be media room smile.gif

I use plex in my home for all my movies. I create digital copies and this way my entire movie collection is accessable to my living room TV, My bedroom tv, The boys "man cave" upstairs, my galaxy S4, My wifes Ipad and both boy's Galaxy Tab 3's. Not to mention any other laptop or computer I have in the house. I work in IT so belive me I have plenty! hahahah.... So I plan to be able to also start collecting 3d copies of certain movies to watch through Plex on the big screen. But I do plan to also have in my media rack a decient 3d Blur Ray player.
post #193 of 303 Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post

Nice! If only it did 3d I'd pick one up for my soon to be media room smile.gif

I use plex in my home for all my movies. I create digital copies and this way my entire movie collection is accessable to my living room TV, My bedroom tv, The boys "man cave" upstairs, my galaxy S4, My wifes Ipad and both boy's Galaxy Tab 3's. Not to mention any other laptop or computer I have in the house. I work in IT so belive me I have plenty! hahahah.... So I plan to be able to also start collecting 3d copies of certain movies to watch through Plex on the big screen. But I do plan to also have in my media rack a decient 3d Blur Ray player.

I'll have to look into that plex thing. That would be very convenient to have.

Are you considering an OPPO for your media room? I absolutely love my 103. No regrets AT ALL spending that kind of $ on a BR player (and its not even close to top of the line). If I can spend $2500 on a PJ, I can sure as heck justify 1/5 of that amount for a great 2D/3D blu-ray player. At one point I was teetering on the edge of going with a much cheaper BR player (I think it was the Panasonic DMP BDT500). Glad I stuck to my guns and listened to others here on the forum.

I also thank God every day for my Panamax. biggrin.gif

post #194 of 303 Old 01-08-2014, 11:59 AM

Yes plex is sweet. I have tons of movies at the touch of my fingers tips and never have to fumble for discs! Now for me I'm a computer guy so I use PC based clients. I have a domain controller on my network so I setup a seperate media player group so when I make a new client they get all the drive mappings and privilages they need. I am looking to replace my PC clients (or at least a few for now) with the Intel NUC. they are a mini PC and work well for either the media server or clients. I have a PC that is my media server that all my music and movies\tv shows sit on. Along with a 2 TB nas drive. But you can use other things as plex clients like some blur ray players (beware some cheap ones dont run the plex app well), Roku's work well as well as some Google TV boxes.

Here is a link to the nuc. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102002

There are a few different ones. But you do have to purchase the HDD and memory seperate so they can get a bit pricey for something like this. But they do work well and they are low profile and power consumption so good for this sort of thing. There are other way's to do this as well besides plex. But I perfer plex myself.

As for the OPPO I'm not sure. Again most of my content will be played through my plex server. So I'm not sure for me if it's worth the money. As it is now I never and I mean never pop in a BD disc. The only time we really would is for 3d and even then that all depends on testing 3d with my plex setup. If that works well then I'd probably hardly use it. Time will tell I suppose.
post #195 of 303 Old 01-12-2014, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Today was what I considered "MOVING DAY". What a bittersweet day. After roughly a year working on the basement, it was finally time to move all of the leftover lumber, tools and equipment back out to the garage. Tomorrow the painters arrive and they will be here for several days doing their thing. My workbench was lonely and it welcomed back all of it's tools with open arms:

I figured I might as well shoot one last update so I have a record of what it really looked like with those god-awful off-white walls and ceilings. I shot the update with my S4 so I decided to break it up into 3 parts.

Part I

[/URL]

Part II

[/URL]

Part III

[/URL]

I will be sure to update again after carpet and everything has been put back together. Tomorrow I am dropping off the 5 Polk speaker grilles to have them airbrushed/painted. They tell me they can color-match them to my walls which are going to be Benjamin Moore - Shaker Beige:

Fingers crossed. biggrin.gif
migraine24-7 and john171 like this.

post #196 of 303 Old 01-13-2014, 08:59 AM

Exciting! Can't wait to see what it all looks like after the paint and flooring is in!
post #197 of 303 Old 01-14-2014, 09:28 PM

Looking good, look forward to seeing the finished room. Good luck with the speaker grilles.
BTW, you walk down the steps backwards rather well. biggrin.gif
post #198 of 303 Old 01-15-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

I knew it was going to look amazing after paint on the walls and ceilings...but not THIS good. WOW. Last night it was almost as if I was standing in a different room than the one I have been working on for the last year. It took an entire day for them to prep/cover everything and to meticulously touch up, repair and patch all of the walls and ceilings. Yesterday and today the crew of 4 is painting 2 coats on all walls, ceilings and 12 doors. This amount of work would have taken me 3 STRAIGHT WEEKS if I had attempted to tackle it myself. Best call I ever made. Can't wait to get home from work today and check it out.

Gotta take apart my family room tonight too because the wife decided she wanted the family room and kitchen repainted too! eek.gif

I'll try my best to get some pics up tonight or tomorrow...

post #199 of 303 Old 01-15-2014, 01:43 PM

Lol u gotta make up for it when she let's u spend this much money on ur toys.
Also, I might be painting my grills as well, plz keep us posted on how it turns out.

post #200 of 303 Old 01-16-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageless83 View Post

Also, I might be painting my grills as well, plz keep us posted on how it turns out.

The airbrush artist, Chuck Gamber, just called and said my speaker grilles are ready for pick-up. He said they turned out beautiful - color matched to Benjamin Moore Shaker Beige. $100 to do all 5 grilles. I am trying to get over tomorrow to pick them up. Fingers crossed.

Here's his website:

JACK OF ARTS

post #201 of 303 Old 01-17-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I subbed your youtube channel almost a year ago...lots of work in the last couple months. Good job.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #202 of 303 Old 01-25-2014, 07:52 PM

Liked: 10
So where are the finished photos?
post #203 of 303 Old 01-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
You have to decide on the theater seating first, right? I've seen you posting in the Fusion chairs thread...any more thoughts on those?

post #204 of 303 Old 01-25-2014, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcacciatore View Post

Carpet gets installed on Tuesday weather permitting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

You have to decide on the theater seating first, right? I've seen you posting in the Fusion chairs thread...any more thoughts on those?

I'm about 95% sure I am going with the Fusion Jives in Expresso Brown leather I O I O O I O I. Total width of that configuration is 109" so it pretty much matches the width of my snack ledge. If I had made the ledge bigger, I would have gone with the Escapes...but the same config is just too wide. Won't look right. I may also pick up the removable armrest as well so I can divide up the loveseat if/when necessary. The wife is completely on board as well...and that is key! biggrin.gif

post #205 of 303 Old 01-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcacciatore View Post

Carpet gets installed on Tuesday weather permitting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

I'm about 95% sure I am going with the Fusion Jives in Expresso Brown leather I O I O O I O I. Total width of that configuration is 109" so it pretty much matches the width of my snack ledge. If I had made the ledge bigger, I would have gone with the Escapes...but the same config is just too wide. Won't look right. I may also pick up the removable armrest as well so I can divide up the loveseat if/when necessary. The wife is completely on board as well...and that is key! biggrin.gif

Can u post the link to Fusion thread? Can't wait to see picks.

GO BLUE
post #206 of 303 Old 01-25-2014, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

LINK TO FUSION THREAD - SEE POST #755

There's a video there too that will give you a good idea of where things stand now...

post #207 of 303 Old 01-25-2014, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

LINK TO FUSION THREAD - SEE POST #755

There's a video there too that will give you a good idea of where things stand now...

Not sure how but I've missed a few of ur posts. Time to catch up.

GO BLUE
post #208 of 303 Old 01-26-2014, 06:28 AM

Liked: 15

Awesome job on your room.  I really like your bar / snack counter.  I couldn't even see the cut in the granite to get it around the column.

post #209 of 303 Old 01-26-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoudtlr View Post

Awesome job on your room.  I really like your bar / snack counter.  I couldn't even see the cut in the granite to get it around the column.

Thanks so much for the compliment. Yeah, the granite installers absolutely nailed it.

It wasn't easy building this thing around the lally column considering the floor was almost an inch lower on one end. The snack ledge is actually 7/8" higher on one side than the other. I'm the only one that will ever notice though. biggrin.gif

post #210 of 303 Old 01-27-2014, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

After much deliberation (and even input from my wonderful wife), I have decided to go with the Fusion Jives in Expresso Brown leather match with the following configuration:

|O|OO|O|

Plus a matching modular armrest in the event that I want to divide up the loveseat.

The biggest factor in my decision was that my ledge is exactly the same size as this configuration AND it still gives me the 4 chairs that I need. Might have preferred the Escapes over the Jives for a roomier chair but the same configuration would have stuck out way too far and block traffic flow on one side of the snack ledge (WAF on that was below zero on a scale of 1 to 10). I think I'll be very happy with my choice. Gotta reach out to Roman this week and get em' ordered.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Basement Bar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page