Already finished basement HT/Gaming/Bar space - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Just wanted to start a thread to document our basement transition. The basement was already finished when we moved in about two years ago so we won't be doing anything other than painting and putting "stuff" in it for the time being. We had been using this space partly as storage and partly for kids play area. It currently just has 32" LCD and Wii. We will be putting in a projector 5.1(for now) in first and then as money allows putting a bar, some type of poker/multi-purpose table and maybe dart board or some other type of game.

The basement is one big room ~23x27 with support columns that basically devises the room into ~12x23(HT) and ~14x23(gaming/bar) sections. E reason for devising it this way is that most of the 12' side is 7'9" tall while a good section of the 14' side has a lowered ceiling and is only 6'6'" and could make it difficult to get the projector mounted.

As far as equipment is still being researched but am looking for now at stuff in the following price ranges and watching for deals to hopefully get the best for my money.

Projector/Screen - Picked up the Epson 8350 and 100" screen package from Visual Apex. Went with this and not something 3d because with three little kids we just don't get the use out of 3d now that I would like. The 8350 seemed to provide the best 2d image/placement flexibility/cost for now so I went with that and will go to 3d when we have more time to use that features.

Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-53. Great sale price and the cheapest I could find anything with pre-outs and 2 HDMI outputs. I really like the idea of being able to ad an amp later and the 2HDMI outs to run one to are bar area without having to put a splitter in the middle.

Speakers - these will be Polk RTI series. I got a pair of A5's for a great price and have already purchased those. Hopefully I can find a similar deal on some A1/A3's and CSI A6 if not I'll go with CSI5 and RTI4/6's that Frys always has on sale.

Sub - I already have an Outlaw LFM-1 Ex which I will probably move from the living room to the basement and add a second when funds allow so I really just have to replace that in the living room. Went with a Polk PSW505. I know some people will scoff at this and it is a downgrade from the Outlaw as far as what I will have in the living room but for basic tv watching it should be fine and it leaves money to be put elsewhere. If/when Outlaw runs another sale I will definitely be picking up another EX to put in the basement.

Movies/Game - PS3 to game and for blu-ray playback. Move my 360 downstairs as well.

Seating - looking at four seat with love seat config.

I think that's about it for now. I have some pictures of the before and part of the way through the painting process that I will add later.

Edit - added some purchase info.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Some pictures of the room before we started hauling stuff out to either be placed elsewhere in the house or to be sold/trashed

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Big props to the Wifey and my daughter for doing all of the painting. My daughter only stepped in the paint once.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 01-12-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Only thing officially purchased so far is a pair of Polk RTI A5's that I got for a huge discount so I went ahead and grabbed them up.

Just picked up a Pioneer Elite VSX-53. New in box so hopefully it works out well. Thing looks to be a beast and for the $499 Best Buy has them for seemed like the time to bite.

Seating

Projector and screen came in. Haven't messed with the screen yet but took the PJ out of the box to look at and make sure it worked. This image is approx 100" which is how bit the screen is and with the lights on. Looks much better with the lights off and just a few basic settings change. If the wall didn't have some minor texture to it it would almost be perfect like this.

Table and chairs that will go behind the row of theater seating. Also a portable ice maker that we will be using with our bar.

Bar

Game Table

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 01-12-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looking down the steps at the decorations and then a cloes up of them.

Looking out at the room from the base of the steps

Decorations on the wall with the stairs and right surround

Rug between seats and av stand

From my seat. Screen, looking right, looking left

Media bookcases and more decorations

Receiver, Sub, Projector, and Left Surround

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 01-12-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

From bookcases looking towards the poker table, temporary table housing the ice maker for now and a shot from between the two looking towards the other side of the Bar half of the basement.

Bar, wine chiller, mini fridge and rug behind bar pics

Hutch, popcorn maker, rug, and next to hutch looking back towards the poker table. Also decorations sitting next to hutch that aren't up yet.

Pics from standing behind the bar and the table behind the main seats

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 01-12-2013, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reserved for first comment on completed room.smile.gif
Old 01-12-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Reserved for second comment. :-)

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Sounds kind of similar to my situation. Bought the house already finished and have a pole supporting a beam in the middle of a 20x27 room.

I actually did my in wall wiring today with a buddy who is an electrician and it sucked having to cut about 10 holes total that I have to now patch up.

But when all said and done it will be awesome!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Sounds kind of similar to my situation. Bought the house already finished and have a pole supporting a beam in the middle of a 20x27 room.

I actually did my in wall wiring today with a buddy who is an electrician and it sucked having to cut about 10 holes total that I have to now patch up.

But when all said and done it will be awesome!

I've read through your thread and the rooms look very similar. Just wish I had thee funds to afford some JTR stuff like you got.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey SupaKats,

Just noticed you are another Hoosier here on AVS. Not too many of Hoosiers here so we have to stick together and hold the "Coasties" at bay, lots of them around here. tongue.gif Looking forward to seeing some updates.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Hey SupaKats,

Just noticed you are another Hoosier here on AVS. Not too many of Hoosiers here so we have to stick together and hold the "Coasties" at bay, lots of them around here. tongue.gif Looking forward to seeing some updates.

Regards,

RTROSE

:-)

I've noticed that as well. Can't let them have all the fun.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Previous posts edited to add some pictures.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 01-20-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

]Picked up an open box Denon 2312 today for just a little bit less than Accessories4less sells the refurb so I feel like it should be a pretty good deal. The ability to EQ 2 subs if I add a second outlaw is very appealing.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 01-21-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looks like the Denon doesn't want to work properly so goin to have to take it in this morning.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 01-21-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Bummer about the Denon.

I hope you get the issue resolved quickly.

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 01-23-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Bummer about the Denon.

I hope you get the issue resolved quickly.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks. I just returned it. I've had pretty bad luck with open box units in the past so I took it not working as a sign. I'll keep on the look out for a decent deal on a NIB something.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've also got a pair of A5's, found a good deal on them as well. Pair them with a good sub or two and you'll be real happy! I started out with a csia4, didn't last long before I found a good deal on newegg for the csia6. It's a much better match, you're making a good decision looking for the larger center.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lee View Post

I've also got a pair of A5's, found a good deal on them as well. Pair them with a good sub or two and you'll be real happy! I started out with a csia4, didn't last long before I found a good deal on newegg for the csia6. It's a much better match, you're making a good decision looking for the larger center.

I currently have four RTI 4's and a CSI 3 in my living room which works fine but I can tell ill definitely want the extra oomph of the 5/A6in the basement.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 03-04-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Long time no post but we just got tax money back, and I haven't seen any deals I just couldn't pass on in the meantime, so it's time to start getting things finalized. Just picked up a Pioneer VSX-53 reciever. We are hoping to have a tv in the bar area so the 2nd HDMI out is a nice bonus. Also has full preouts for when I have the money/desire to add an external amp.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 03-04-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome back stranger. Time to post some photos of that new receiver ya got there.

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Welcome back stranger. Time to post some photos of that new receiver ya got there.

Regards,

RTROSE

Posted above :-)

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post

Projector - would like to keep it in the 1000-1500 range but the great 3d quality has me also keeping the BenQ w7000 in mind if I can save money elsewhere and it is the best bang for the buck.

Looks good so far. I'll be keeping an eye on your build.

Have you looked at the Benq W1070? People seem to rave about the 3D and you could pick it up for under $1000. I'm either going with the W1070 or the W1080ST.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Oh, one more thing. What color paint is that?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon13 View Post

Looks good so far. I'll be keeping an eye on your build.

Have you looked at the Benq W1070? People seem to rave about the 3D and you could pick it up for under $1000. I'm either going with the W1070 or the W1080ST.

Thank you.

Yes that's been one I've been reading a lot about.

I don't know the specific name of the color but it is a dark grey.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Made a few purchases yesterday.

Ordered the Epson 8350/100' screen combo from www.visualapex.com yesterday and the Projector and Screen show they should be delivered today. I edited the first post to reflect this but I went with the 8350 based on the fact that we almost never use the 3d we have do to having little kids and when we do sit down to watch something also using out iPads and stuff like that. Once the kids are bigger and it is easier to sit and enjoy the 3d is propbably when I will upgrade here but that is still a few years off at best.

I also ordered another PS3 and a PSW505 subwoofer. The PSW505 will go in our living room and the Outlaw LFM-1 Ex that is there will be moved to the basement. I hope to be able to add a second Outlaw in the somewhat near future.

All that is left on the "need" to buy list for the theater side of the basement is furniture and center/surround speakers. The seating we are going to buy tomorrow and hopefully it can be delivered fairly quickly and I am just waiting on a deal on the speakers. If a deal doesn't come up before everything is ready in the basement I may just move my center/surrounds from the living room down temporarily to try out the theater and get the full experience.

We also hope to pick out the bar we want for the basement tomorrow and if we do that we'll also be purchasing the stools to go with it and a wall mount to put the 32" that is already in the basement somewhere near the bar.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Also posted pics above of the table and chairs that will be going behind the row of theater seating.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 AM

Liked: 11
Supakats, I am sure you already know this but you can not beat Monoprice for the wall mount. I don't know what they run in-store now but I have ordered 4-5 from monoprice and they all work great. Just a thought!

Your space looks awesome. Keep the updates coming.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris DeWitt View Post

Supakats, I am sure you already know this but you can not beat Monoprice for the wall mount. I don't know what they run in-store now but I have ordered 4-5 from monoprice and they all work great. Just a thought!

Your space looks awesome. Keep the updates coming.

Thanks. That's where I was going to order from. I need to order some speaker wire and a few other cables and I'll order all that from them.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Old 03-07-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Updated with pics of seating, bar, and game table. LIghting was bad in the showroom but it gives the general idea. Smallest son doesn't want to take his nap so I'll make a more in depth post in a bit.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Tags
Basement Bar