Equipment shelf recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am planning to put all AV/gaming equipments in a closet in the familyroom with a single HDMI feed to the TV. The equipments currently include:

AVR
Blu ray player
PS3
Cable box
Power conditioner

Will be adding amp, and perhaps other electronics, later on. I looked around and it seems racks are out of my budget, and I am not entirely sure if I need one for what I have/will have. Currently looking at the Sanus Euro series EFA31 shelf. Sanus also makes the AFAB, which is similar to the EFA31 but at almost half of the price. Is the all-metal construction of the euro series worth the premium over the MDF boards of the AFAB?

Is there something else that I should be considering around this price range? Thanks for any and all advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Used rack from craigslist or ebay

Middle Atlantic, Raxxess, and others have affordable laminate racks. Consider casters.

Used fixed shelves from ebay.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice. Looking into the Raxxess ERK model but can't figure out how to put things like AVR in this as the universal shelf they recommend is only 10" deep?

post #4 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Since it's going in a closet, I guess you could go down to home depot and get some garage/workshop shelving . That should be pretty budget friendly.

David
post #5 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
This is the rack that I am using for mine.

Like yours, mine is going to be in a closet. My doors are going to be shut 99% of the time (will have to open them to turn the amp on) so I don't really care about having a fancy one to show off. I plan on using a tablet to control everything when it is all said and done.

That shelf was either $60 or $80 at home depot and I go the casters for $20 more.

I was initially looking at a fancy Middle Atlantic shelf, and was going to take one of the doors off the closet and put the shelf flush to the other door and make it look nice, but then I started looking at prices, and also realized that my amp makes quite a bit of noise, and that putting it in the closet with the doors shut on a $80 shelf just made much more sense all around. It cost about 10% the price of a nice rack + shelves, and closing the doors will help rid of the sound of the amp or console (since we all know Xbox 360 can get loud).
post #6 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
You can even go extremely basic.

cdn.avsforum.com/e/e5/500x1000px-LL-e5f4bc70_7990362939_30b9af1fc0_b.jpeg

(found in the AVS gallery)

David
post #7 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's help. Purbeast, I actually PMed you a little while back regarding that picture and I checked Home Depot as you suggested. But everything I looked at was either too wide or not deep enough. That's why I ended up looking at the Sanus Euro series. Will give those storage shelves another shot and see if I can find one that will work.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwareMe View Post

Thanks for everyone's help. Purbeast, I actually PMed you a little while back regarding that picture and I checked Home Depot as you suggested. But everything I looked at was either too wide or not deep enough. That's why I ended up looking at the Sanus Euro series. Will give those storage shelves another shot and see if I can find one that will work.

Ah okay yea I just checked my message history and remember that now.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page