Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 61 Old 08-30-2014, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
This will depend on the TV, and if your "source" is built into the TV, or is a device connected to it with HDMI. For built-in sources (antenna, Netflix or other 'streamer apps'), it will work fine.

The TV will probably limit the audio to DD5.1 at best, and may cause the source to drop to 2-channel stereo (no surround). For Blu-ray players with DTS-MA or other advanced audio, they must be connected to the receiver with HDMI.

Yes. Two things limit the digital audio - the audio support in the TV, and the capabilities of the digital optical (SPDIF) interface and cable. SPDIF only supports DD5.1 or 2-channel PCM stereo. The advanced audio formats of Blu-ray (DTS-MA, 5 or 7-channel PCM, etc.) cannot work over the optical output. If the TV only supports 'stereo' and not DD5.1 (which is only common on newer TV models), the HDMI audio will be downgraded to the format that the TV supports.

The optical input on your receiver should support both DD5.1 and DTS. But you won't get the Dolby Digital Plus or DTS-MA lossless audio from Blu-ray discs. Those are only supported by HDMI audio.

Sorry, I didn't understand the question - but the best way to connect all of these devices is to use HDMI and connect all sources to your receiver, and then use one HDMI cable to the TV.

Does your receiver have HDMI inputs? That will tell us which solution will be best for you.

Jeff
Thanks alot for you help ,
I haven;t receiver , I interest for beggining take complete home theater like LG or Samsung Company like this :
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home...r/HT-H5500W/ZA

but when I read that the optical input didnt pass true-hd and DTS HD-MASTER that is a problem .
If I play GTA V in PS3 that the GTA V is blue ray disk , and If he have DTS HD-MASTER it will not through the ps3-receiver ? all PS3 games have Sound codec that not pass through optic input ?

-about question that I ask before , if PS3 connect with Hdmi to LG LD550 TV and I will then connect optic cable to reciever the same quality will reseved like the Ps3 connect directly to Optic input to reciever?
because the TV can downgrade to stero and after the voice that will pass through optic from tv to reciever it will be 2 channel stero and not dd5.1 ?

I will be happy if you advise me What I should buy receiver with speaker or Complete home theater like LG or Samsung Company ( the only problem with that complete it has not hdmi input only output )

-Sorry about double post - When I write previously message I havn't seen your answer in the forum , therefore I merged this message with previously messege in back page number one (The full messages is page before ), thanks.

Last edited by FredMin; 08-30-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 Old 08-30-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredMin View Post
Thanks alot for you help ,
I haven't receiver , I interest in beggining take a complete Home Theater like LG or Samsung Company like this :
With no HDMI inputs, I would not recommend that product.

Quote:
but when I read that the optical input didnt pass true-hd and DTS HD-MASTER that is a problem .If I play GTA V in PS3 that the GTA V is blue ray disk , and If he have DTS HD-MASTER soundtrack it will not through over optic input PS3-Receiver ? all PS3 games have Sound codec that not pass through optic input ?
Correct. The only way to get DTS-MA audio is to connect the source (like the PS3) to a receiver using HDMI. The digital optical cable does not support DTS-MA.

Quote:
-about question that I ask before , if PS3 connect with Hdmi to LG LD550 TV and I will then connect optic cable to receiver the same quality will reserved like the PS3 connect directly to Optic input to reciever?
because the TV can downgrade to stero audio when the ps3 connect to TV by hdmi and after that sound will pass through optic from TV to receiver it will be 2 channel stero and not dd5.1 ,am I right ?
It might work, but it will depend on what the TV does with HDMI audio. Most likely it will only give 2-channel stereo, and not DD5.1. Which is why you want to connect the sources (PS3) to a receiver, and then just send the HDMI video to the TV.

Quote:
I will be happy if you advise me What I should buy receiver with speaker or Complete home theater like LG or Samsung Company ( the only problem with that complete it has not hdmi input only output )
The "Home Theater in a Box" (HTiB) systems like you mentioned at the top are cheap, but they are not a good solution. You will get a better solution buying a Blu-ray player, AV Receiver and separate speakers. If you have a PS3 right now, you don't need another Blu-ray player. And for a small budget, you can start with 2 or 3 speakers and add surround speakers and a subwoofer later.

Quote:
-another questions : All MKV movie files on the net and PS3 GAMES like GTV V and others have codec that can pass through Optic input ?
If they are copies of a Blu-ray, they will have the same limits - DTS-MA will not work over optical.

Quote:
-In Cable Box on MTV LIVE HD HAVE RCA OR COAXIAL output . this will support all codec that the channel MTV LIVE HD cable box has streaming ?
Broadcasts over satellite or air are in DD5.1 and so can work over the optical output just fine. It's the advanced audio from Blu-ray that you will hit the limit.

Quote:
about the red line that I marked , Someone that define in PS3 "bitstream" only get "DTS-ES Matrix" on Receiver instead "DTS-HD MA" and when it change to :LPCM he gets "DTS-HD MA" '
How can we explain that "LPCM" Better that "Bitsream" settings ?
The decoding of DTS-MA can happen in the player (PS3) or the AV Receiver. If it is done in the player (PS3), what is sent will be 5-channel PCM audio over HDMI. The PS3 is doing the work in that case - but the audio still needs HDMI to carry it to the AV Receiver. An optical cable will not carry 5-channel PCM.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #33 of 61 Old 08-31-2014, 01:23 PM

Thanks alot ,
In the quote I ask more few question in mark on red :

Quote:
With no HDMI inputs, I would not recommend that product.

Correct. The only way to get DTS-MA audio is to connect the source (like the PS3) to a receiver using HDMI. The digital optical cable does not support DTS-MA.

It might work, but it will depend on what the TV does with HDMI audio. Most likely it will only give 2-channel stereo, and not DD5.1. Which is why you want to connect the sources (PS3) to a receiver, and then just send the HDMI video to the TV.

The "Home Theater in a Box" (HTiB) systems like you mentioned at the top are cheap, but they are not a good solution. You will get a better solution buying a Blu-ray player, AV Receiver and separate speakers. If you have a PS3 right now, you don't need another Blu-ray player. And for a small budget, you can start with 2 or 3 speakers and add surround speakers and a subwoofer later.

If they are copies of a Blu-ray, they will have the same limits - DTS-MA will not work over optical.

Broadcasts over satellite or air are in DD5.1 and so can work over the optical output just fine. It's the advanced audio from Blu-ray that you will hit the limit.

The decoding of DTS-MA can happen in the player (PS3) or the AV Receiver. If it is done in the player (PS3), what is sent will be 5-channel PCM audio over HDMI. The PS3 is doing the work in that case - but the audio still needs HDMI to carry it to the AV Receiver. An optical cable will not carry 5-channel PCM.

1)What the difference between 5-channel PCM that optic can't carry and the DD5.1 that optic can carry ?

2) PS3 can play MKV files like streamer ?

3) Which Receiver you would recommended me to my bed room , that support all this codecs and can connect to PS3 and PC , The main use Movies and Music and sometimes games on Ps3 .
what would you take for you Receiver or Home theater complete box like LG or Samsung offers ?

4) It is necessary to choose Home Theater or Receiver that support DOLBY TRUE HD OR DTS HD MASTER , The PS3 really need that ? I I have DTS and Dolby without two codec that I mentioned the PS3 in bitstream or LPCM downmix the TRUE HD to DTS on Receiver and I hear 5.1 sound or not sound at all ?
I I sound 5.1 DTS on PS3 instead DTS HD MA it isn't big deal , I will feel the difference beetween the sounds ?

5)If I play TRUE HD OR DTS HD in PS3 and connect Optical cable to receiver and settings configure bitstream the cable optic downstream to stero or pass dts regular to receiver ?( in two cases it not pass the new codec).

6)How I check in Receiver or Home Theater blueray player that have HDMI input supported 1.3 or higher ?

Jeff

Thanks.

Last edited by FredMin; 08-31-2014 at 03:34 PM.
post #34 of 61 Old 08-31-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
1)What the difference between 5-channel PCM that optic can't carry and the DD5.1 that optic can carry ?
DD5.1 is a compressed digital stream. PCM is an un-compressed raw stream. The SPDIF format that the optical cable supports is only a 2-channel PCM stream.

Quote:
2) PS3 can play MKV files like streamer ?
I don't think so, but a search would probably give you the options there...

Quote:
3) Which Receiver you would recommended me to my bed room , that support all this codecs and can connect to PS3 and PC , The main use Movies and Music and sometimes games on Ps3 .
what would you take for you Receiver or Home theater complete box like LG or Samsung offers ?
Any inexpensive AVR from one of the major brands will do just fine (Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc.). Even the cheapest 5-channel AVR these days will have HDMI inputs and all the proper audio codecs for DTS-MA and all the rest.

The only "complete box" sets I would buy are ones that are simply bundles of regular AVR models and decent speakers. If you search for the AVR and speaker models included in these box sets, and don't find any mentions OTHER than the box sets, I would avoid them.

Quote:
4) It is necessary to choose Home Theater or Receiver that support DOLBY TRUE HD OR DTS HD MASTER , The PS3 really need that ? I I have DTS and Dolby without two codec that I mentioned the PS3 in bitstream or LPCM downmix the TRUE HD to DTS on Receiver and I hear 5.1 sound or not sound at all ?
I I sound 5.1 DTS on PS3 instead DTS HD MA it isn't big deal , I will feel the difference beetween the sounds ?
An AVR with HDMI inputs will handle 5-channel PCM. While it is probably not critical to have those advanced audio codecs - it's hard not to get them these days - almost all AVRs will include them.

Quote:
5)If I play TRUE HD OR DTS HD in PS3 and connect Optical cable to receiver and settings configure bitstream the cable optic downstream to stero or pass dts regular to receiver ?( in two cases it not pass the new codec).
The PS3 will probably send DD5.1 in that case.

Quote:
6)How I check in Receiver or Home Theater blueray player that have HDMI input supported 1.3 or higher ?.
Any current model sold in stores or online (check the current listings on the company's website) will support HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 - nothing to worry about there.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #35 of 61 Old 09-02-2014, 03:25 AM

Quote:
DD5.1 is a compressed digital stream. PCM is an un-compressed raw stream. The SPDIF format that the optical cable supports is only a 2-channel PCM stream.

Jeff
Thanks for help ,
PS3 will pass to receiver or Home Theater player in bundle box when the ps3 connect with optical cable and the PS3 configure on " BITSREAM" when the receiver will decoder the data and no the ps3 , In that case the optical cable can pass this DTS HD MA OR DOLBY TRUE HD codec ? ( because the audio encode and not uncompressed , therefore It can pass by optical , if yes That mean I can't have HDMI input in Receiver to get all codec , am I right ?

- About this Home Theater :

HB906SB LG 1100 RMS AND Have 2 input HDMI
http://www.lg.com/ca_en/home-theater-systems/lg-HB906SB

what do you think about it , would I buy it ?
the only problem that Dolby True Hd and DTS MA don't include it , The PS3 games that need this codec not will output sound or will downmix it to DD5.1 ?

On other hand , This home theater : HT-H5500W Home Theater System Samsung

don't have Hdmi input but all codec Supported inclue DTS HD etc ,
If the PS3 can pass in OPTICAL DOLBY TRUE HD AND DTS MA on "BITSTREAM" option on PS3 I will take this machine , what do you think ? it will pass me all codec on optic when ps3 have option bitstream instead LPCM ?

Thanks again .

Last edited by FredMin; 09-02-2014 at 03:30 AM.
post #36 of 61 Old 09-02-2014, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I don't think so, but a search would probably give you the options there...

Any inexpensive AVR from one of the major brands will do just fine (Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc.). Even the cheapest 5-channel AVR these days will have HDMI inputs and all the proper audio codecs for DTS-MA and all the rest.

The only "complete box" sets I would buy are ones that are simply bundles of regular AVR models and decent speakers. If you search for the AVR and speaker models included in these box sets, and don't find any mentions OTHER than the box sets, I would avoid them.

An AVR with HDMI inputs will handle 5-channel PCM. While it is probably not critical to have those advanced audio codecs - it's hard not to get them these days - almost all AVRs will include them.

The PS3 will probably send DD5.1 in that case.

Any current model sold in stores or online (check the current listings on the company's website) will support HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 - nothing to worry about there.

Jeff
I get PCM 5.1 Surround when I connect my PC to receiver via HDMI. I have to manually choose my speaker configuration after that it's surround sound. So what is different in this 5.1 PCM and 5.1 DD.

Thanks Jeff.
post #37 of 61 Old 09-02-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for help ,
PS3 will pass to receiver or Home Theater player in bundle box when the ps3 connect with optical cable and the PS3 configure on " BITSREAM" when the receiver will decoder the data and no the ps3 , In that case the optical cable can pass this DTS HD MA OR DOLBY TRUE HD codec ? ( because the audio encode and not uncompressed , therefore It can pass by optical , if yes That mean I can't have HDMI input in Receiver to get all codec , am I right ?
Again, the only way to pass DTS-MA, Dolby True HD or 5-channel PCM signals is through HDMI. The optical cable will only support 2-channel PCM, DD5.1 and DTS.

Quote:
HB906SB LG 1100 RMS AND Have 2 input HDMI
http://www.lg.com/ca_en/home-theater-systems/lg-HB906SB

what do you think about it , would I buy it ?
the only problem that Dolby True Hd and DTS MA don't include it , The PS3 games that need this codec not will output sound or will downmix it to DD5.1 ?
Both of these units support DTS-MA audio from Blu-ray discs. Games do NOT use DTS-MA, only DD5.1 (at least not on the PS3).

I do not recommend any of these home-theater-in-a-box setups as they usually cannot be upgraded. But buying individual components will cost more. Check the reviews in the other forums here (for HTiB).

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronemo3 View Post
I get PCM 5.1 Surround when I connect my PC to receiver via HDMI. I have to manually choose my speaker configuration after that it's surround sound. So what is different in this 5.1 PCM and 5.1 DD.
5-channel PCM is just the decoded and de-compressed "raw" version of the audio. Whether the DD5.1 decoding occurs in the BD player or the AV receiver doesn't matter much, except when it comes to sending the audio across a cable. The optical cable can't support the raw 5-channel PCM (too much data), but it can carry the DD5.1 compressed stream...

Jeff

post #38 of 61 Old 09-02-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Again, the only way to pass DTS-MA, Dolby True HD or 5-channel PCM signals is through HDMI. The optical cable will only support 2-channel PCM, DD5.1 and DTS.

Both of these units support DTS-MA audio from Blu-ray discs. Games do NOT use DTS-MA, only DD5.1 (at least not on the PS3).

I do not recommend any of these home-theater-in-a-box setups as they usually cannot be upgraded. But buying individual components will cost more. Check the reviews in the other forums here (for HTiB).

5-channel PCM is just the decoded and de-compressed "raw" version of the audio. Whether the DD5.1 decoding occurs in the BD player or the AV receiver doesn't matter much, except when it comes to sending the audio across a cable. The optical cable can't support the raw 5-channel PCM (too much data), but it can carry the DD5.1 compressed stream...

Jeff

what the difference between 5 channel PCM that compressed to DD5.1 that optic can handle it or compressed to DTS HD MA that the cable optic didn't handle it , it is still 5 channel PCM , so for what the difference between the codec dd 5.1 and DTS HD MA AND DOLBY TRUE HD ,

and Where is specification I can see that LG Home theater support DTS HD MA & DOLBY TRUE HD I can't find it in specification ,

P.S : I check two Receivers , what do you think about two models of sony , which one is better , and they supported same codec audio ?

Sony STR DH-520:http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/con...STR-DH520/list
Sony STR DH-540:http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/con...STR-DH540/list

Thanks alot .

Last edited by FredMin; 09-02-2014 at 02:55 PM.
post #39 of 61 Old 09-02-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
what the difference between 5 channel PCM that compressed to DD5.1 that optic can handle it or compressed to DTS HD MA that the cable optic didn't handle it , it is still 5 channel PCM , so for what the difference between the codec dd 5.1 and DTS HD MA AND DOLBY TRUE HD ,
SPDIF (the spec for the coax and optical digital link) was originally designed to handle 2-channel PCM from CD players at 1.4Mb/s. A decade or so later, Dolby Digital (DD5.1) and DTS 'core' 5.1 were added to the list - as both are <1.5Mb/s (because of compression). So that's as much data as can be shoved down that pipe. 5.1-channel PCM is around 3.6Mb - above what the spec can carry. DTS-MA can be up to 11Mb/s.

Quote:
and Where is specification I can see that LG Home theater support DTS HD MA & DOLBY TRUE HD I can't find it in specification
I found it buried in the manual...

Quote:
P.S : I check two Receivers , what do you think about two models of sony , which one is better , and they supported same codec audio ?

Sony STR DH-520:http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/con...STR-DH520/list
Sony STR DH-540:http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/con...STR-DH540/list
Depends on whether you can use the 7-channel modes or not. But regardless, either of those units (or any other AVR sold individually) will be a better long-term path than either of those HTiB systems you mentioned earlier...

Jeff

post #40 of 61 Old 09-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Thanks Jeff ,
I am very confused which Receiver will take , and which speakers suit him , many Receiver many companies .
I have issue about which receiver is better that support normal 8 ohm speaker or 6 ohm speaker , which is the best ?
and if I take speaker that have 6 ohm and put it on receiver that support 8 ohm it is burn the receiver or it is o.k?
which Receiver you would recommended me to take sony , pionner , yamaha ? if you can lead me to specific model I would be happy because I don't understand in this issue .

Thanks for helping , I am grateful.
post #41 of 61 Old 09-03-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have issue about which receiver is better that support normal 8 ohm speaker or 6 ohm speaker , which is the best ? and if I take speaker that have 6 ohm and put it on receiver that support 8 ohm it is burn the receiver or it is o.k?
You should not attach speakers with a lower (6 or 4 ohm) impedance to a receiver only rated for 8 ohms. Many receivers will have support for 4 ohm speakers (which means 6 or 8 ohm speakers will also work fine).

Quote:
which Receiver you would recommended me to take sony , pionner , yamaha ? if you can lead me to specific model I would be happy because I don't understand in this issue .
Any of the major brands are fine (Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo/Integra, Denon, Marantz). Look at models in your budget range that have the features you are interested in, then read the "owner" threads in the Receivers forum here for those models to get a lot of specific advice on each.

I don't have a particular model to recommend, but for a budget of $300-500USD, there are many good answers, and really not a bad choice.

Jeff

post #42 of 61 Old 09-04-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
You should not attach speakers with a lower (6 or 4 ohm) impedance to a receiver only rated for 8 ohms. Many receivers will have support for 4 ohm speakers (which means 6 or 8 ohm speakers will also work fine).

Any of the major brands are fine (Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo/Integra, Denon, Marantz). Look at models in your budget range that have the features you are interested in, then read the "owner" threads in the Receivers forum here for those models to get a lot of specific advice on each.

I don't have a particular model to recommend, but for a budget of $300-500USD, there are many good answers, and really not a bad choice.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff ,

about this HTIS that we has talking earlier in this thread :"http://www.lg.com/ca_en/home-theater-systems/lg-HB906SB"
2 people over internet has written about connect PS3 to HDMI and try to passthrough by bitstream DTS HD MA but the only get PCM 3/2/1 ( What is meaning? ) and PCM 2.0 , That mean have problem in this LG with PS3 , what do you think about that ? or they only get in trouble in settings and they need to check in DTS MA Only and bitstream ?

- about receiver , why the receiver can't suit Music hearing and Home theater movies both ?
for example in review people said the this machine get better sound on movies and in music is terrible ,
If I have receiver of sony that bring me 5.2 / 7.1 channel when I want to sound on Movie I connect all the speaker and get amazing performance , and when I want to hear only music I connect only the 2 front speaker and get good sound , what they meaning isn't good I don't understant , and another thing that I don't understand when the talking about music is only stero that importand bring 2 speaking in front ( in receiver) that very powerfull ,My question is I can't hearing music on 5.1 channel in all speaker that connect to receiver , it isn't give deep to sound ?

-another question : when I hear movie on receiver that connect him 5 speaker , in front I sound the voice of people and 2 rear speaker and sound atmosphere the movie , but my question is in Music I can do the same that which speaker out other voice like movie ? or in Music is only stero 2 channel that out same voices? (in music have DTS and codec like movies, that I can play in 5.1 and get full surrounded hearing ?)

Thanks for helping .
post #43 of 61 Old 09-04-2014, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks Jeff ,
I am very confused which Receiver will take , and which speakers suit him , many Receiver many companies .
I have issue about which receiver is better that support normal 8 ohm speaker or 6 ohm speaker , which is the best ?
and if I take speaker that have 6 ohm and put it on receiver that support 8 ohm it is burn the receiver or it is o.k?

Thanks for helping , I am grateful.
In my case I just went with Pioneer VSX-1021. Why? Because it was in my budget and did 7.1 and DTS-HD etc. It ducks at airplay which it should play out of the box. But I don't care much about airplay. So basically u buy what's in your budget and what gets the job done. Read reviews too here and on amazon etc. In general they say Yamaha, Damon and Onkyo are better than Pioneer. But I am happy with my purchase. All the best.
post #44 of 61 Old 09-04-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
about this HTIS that we has talking earlier in this thread :"http://www.lg.com/ca_en/home-theater-systems/lg-HB906SB"
2 people over internet has written about connect PS3 to HDMI and try to passthrough by bitstream DTS HD MA but the only get PCM 3/2/1 ( What is meaning? ) and PCM 2.0 , That mean have problem in this LG with PS3 , what do you think about that ? or they only get in trouble in settings and they need to check in DTS MA Only and bitstream ?
No idea, but lots of people have used the PS3 as a blu-ray player and have DTS-MA support working, so I would put the blame on the HTiB... But definitely search for an "owner" thread for that product to see if someone has that working with a PS3 specifically.

Quote:
- about receiver , why the receiver can't suit Music hearing and Home theater movies both ?
for example in review people said the this machine get better sound on movies and in music is terrible ,
If I have receiver of sony that bring me 5.2 / 7.1 channel when I want to sound on Movie I connect all the speaker and get amazing performance , and when I want to hear only music I connect only the 2 front speaker and get good sound , what they meaning isn't good I don't understant , and another thing that I don't understand when the talking about music is only stero that importand bring 2 speaking in front ( in receiver) that very powerfull ,My question is I can't hearing music on 5.1 channel in all speaker that connect to receiver , it isn't give deep to sound ?
People that complain about a receiver sounding bad on music or movies (or both) have either set up the system incorrectly, or are using poor-performing speakers - especially the center channel.

Any receiver can sound good for both movies and music.

Quote:
-another question : when I hear movie on receiver that connect him 5 speaker , in front I sound the voice of people and 2 rear speaker and sound atmosphere the movie , but my question is in Music I can do the same that which speaker out other voice like movie ? or in Music is only stero 2 channel that out same voices? (in music have DTS and codec like movies, that I can play in 5.1 and get full surrounded hearing ?)
Some people enjoy hearing stereo music played in 5.1-channel surround, others just want it in the original 2-channel stereo. That's a personal preference, but again will depend on the quality and placement of the speakers. But yes, any receiver will give you the choice to play music in either 2 speakers or in 5-channel surround.

Jeff

post #45 of 61 Old 09-05-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
No idea, but lots of people have used the PS3 as a blu-ray player and have DTS-MA support working, so I would put the blame on the HTiB... But definitely search for an "owner" thread for that product to see if someone has that working with a PS3 specifically.

People that complain about a receiver sounding bad on music or movies (or both) have either set up the system incorrectly, or are using poor-performing speakers - especially the center channel.

Any receiver can sound good for both movies and music.

Some people enjoy hearing stereo music played in 5.1-channel surround, others just want it in the original 2-channel stereo. That's a personal preference, but again will depend on the quality and placement of the speakers. But yes, any receiver will give you the choice to play music in either 2 speakers or in 5-channel surround.

Jeff
In music on 5.1 surrounded I heard each speaker different sound like Movies Or in music all the speaker output same voices ?

thanks jeff.
post #46 of 61 Old 09-05-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In music on 5.1 surrounded I heard each speaker different sound like Movies Or in music all the speaker output same voices ?
Either. Most AVRs will allow for "5-channel stereo", which just sends the same output to the surround channels, and mono to the center channel. But they also have several processed modes that attempt to create a surround sound out of the stereo signal.

post #47 of 61 Old 09-05-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Either. Most AVRs will allow for "5-channel stereo", which just sends the same output to the surround channels, and mono to the center channel. But they also have several processed modes that attempt to create a surround sound out of the stereo signal.
But never Receiver can separt the music to divided each speaker output different voices from music like Movies ?
- how can I check if this 5 channel stero is build in in Receiver, Like in sony dh-520 / dh540 have it ?

Thanks.
post #48 of 61 Old 09-05-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But never Receiver can separt the music to divided each speaker output different voices from music like Movies ?
- how can I check if this 5 channel stero is build in in Receiver, Like in sony dh-520 / dh540 have it ?
The various DSP (digital signal processing) modes to give the "feel" of different room types and adjust the sound coming from surround speakers have been around for a long time. Most any AVR (even one 10 years old or more) will have these. How well those modes work, and how you like the sound of them, will again be a personal perference.

Those Sony AVRs have both, see the manual. "Multi-stereo" is what the 5-channel stereo mode is called. You'll see lots of other "music modes" (Jazz, Hall, Concert) for the surround-processed modes.

Jeff

post #49 of 61 Old 09-06-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
The various DSP (digital signal processing) modes to give the "feel" of different room types and adjust the sound coming from surround speakers have been around for a long time. Most any AVR (even one 10 years old or more) will have these. How well those modes work, and how you like the sound of them, will again be a personal perference.

Those Sony AVRs have both, see the manual. "Multi-stereo" is what the 5-channel stereo mode is called. You'll see lots of other "music modes" (Jazz, Hall, Concert) for the surround-processed modes.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff ,

You mean any Receiver when I want check If they have written :
Multi-Stereo - that mean 5 channel stereo output
DSP - mean that give surrounded melodies to 5 channel stereo output ?

where in the forum like you said I can find the specific DH-520 /DH 540 sony receiver thread that they have talking about the connect with other devices like PS3 and so on .

- If I watch MTV LIVE HD on LIVE Shows I need for extreamly sound choose in the Receiver on "Multi-Stereo Mode " and choose DSP like HipHop for surrounded bonus ?

-The mode called in Specification Reveiver "Multi Stereo" or just " Stereo" buttom in receiver and that give 5 channnel output receiver ?

Thanks alot .
post #50 of 61 Old 09-06-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You mean any Receiver when I want check If they have written :
Multi-Stereo - that mean 5 channel stereo output
DSP - mean that give surrounded melodies to 5 channel stereo output ?
Correct.

Quote:
where in the forum like you said I can find the specific DH-520 /DH 540 sony receiver thread that they have talking about the connect with other devices like PS3 and so on .
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ps-processors/

Quote:
- If I watch MTV LIVE HD on LIVE Shows I need for extreamly sound choose in the Receiver on "Multi-Stereo Mode " and choose DSP like HipHop for surrounded bonus ?
Yes, you can do any of those things. You can use any mode you like, whatever sounds good to you for each type of music or movie you are playing.

Quote:
-The mode called in Specification Reveiver "Multi Stereo" or just " Stereo" buttom in receiver and that give 5 channnel output receiver ?
"Multi Stereo" will be in 5 channels, while "Stereo" will always be just 2 channels (Left/Right).

post #51 of 61 Old 09-06-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Correct.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ps-processors/

Yes, you can do any of those things. You can use any mode you like, whatever sounds good to you for each type of music or movie you are playing.

"Multi Stereo" will be in 5 channels, while "Stereo" will always be just 2 channels (Left/Right).

Thanks Jeff ,

for example in this DH-520 Specification : http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/con...STR-DH520/list

I don't see "Multi Stereo" , or it has written in other word ?
And on line "DSP" has written "Falcon1.1" Instead of kind music like " JAZZ,POP,HIPHOP " Why ? "Falcon1.1" is cpu if I am not wrong , what is connected to kinds of music ?
post #52 of 61 Old 09-06-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Jeff ,

for example in this DH-520 Specification : http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/con...STR-DH520/list

I don't see "Multi Stereo" , or it has written in other word ?
And on line "DSP" has written "Falcon1.1" Instead of kind music like " JAZZ,POP,HIPHOP " Why ? "Falcon1.1" is cpu if I am not wrong , what is connected to kinds of music ?
Read the manuals, not the specification sheets. All of the information is in the manual.

post #53 of 61 Old 09-06-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Read the manuals, not the specification sheets. All of the information is in the manual.
I have read the manual , And I don't understant that :
"
2CH ST. (2 Channel Stereo)
The receiver outputs the sound from the front
left/right speakers only. There is no sound
from the subwoofer.
"
why the subwoofer didn't work, in usually speaker on PC the subwoofer working in music , it give more deep to sound , why in this mode here It didn't work , or it doesn't important because each speaker that connect Receiver will produce sub is own ?

and about HDMI-CEC if I have LG TV that support HDMI-CEC and Sony DH-520 THAT HAVE BRAVIA® Sync that support HDMI -CEC the LG TV controller can controll TV and The receiver or because the TV from LG and Receiver From sony It doesn't work ?

Thanks.
post #54 of 61 Old 09-06-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have read the manual , And I don't understant that :
"
2CH ST. (2 Channel Stereo)
The receiver outputs the sound from the front
left/right speakers only. There is no sound
from the subwoofer.
"
why the subwoofer didn't work, in usually speaker on PC the subwoofer working in music , it give more deep to sound , why in this mode here It didn't work , or it doesn't important because each speaker that connect Receiver will produce sub is own ?

and about HDMI-CEC if I have LG TV that support HDMI-CEC and Sony DH-520 THAT HAVE BRAVIA® Sync that support HDMI -CEC the LG TV controller can controll TV and The receiver or because the TV from LG and Receiver From sony It doesn't work ?

Thanks.
Do you already have this Sony receiver? You really need to ask these questions in the Receivers forum so that someone else who owns Sony equipment can give you advice. I'm sure you can get the Sony to output 2.1 for music - it is just a matter of finding the right combination of speaker configuration and "music mode". You may need to configure your Left/Right speakers as "SMALL" in the setup menu as well.

Jeff

post #55 of 61 Old 09-07-2014, 04:21 AM

I don't have receiver at all , I only check because I would like one of thos ,
about the HDMI-CEC no matter each company Like pionner or Yamaha can use with hdmi-cec in LG TV Controller ?
and In this specification :
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/con...STR-DH520/list
Power Output (8 ohms, 1kHz, THD 1%, 1ch driven)
what this mean , and sometimes write 2ch instead 1ch , what does mean , and If this support 8 ohms it is better that 6 ohms or less ?

Thanks Jeff.
post #56 of 61 Old 09-07-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't have receiver at all , I only check because I would like one of thos ,
about the HDMI-CEC no matter each company Like pionner or Yamaha can use with hdmi-cec in LG TV Controller ?
HDMI-CEC has not worked very well, especially when mixing several company's products. Once you decide on a particular receiver, you can look for specific information about it's implementation of CEC to see if it is known to work well with those TVs.

Quote:
and In this specification :
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/con...STR-DH520/list
Power Output (8 ohms, 1kHz, THD 1%, 1ch driven)
what this mean , and sometimes write 2ch instead 1ch , what does mean , and If this support 8 ohms it is better that 6 ohms or less ?
All of your questions are about Receivers - which is why I keep suggesting that you ask them in the "Receivers" forum. You will get much more information there.

The "1-ch (channel) driven" refers to the power output and distortion measurement (THD). This means that the company is measuring the power output using only one channel (instead of two or five). This is an indication that the amplifier design is smaller or less powerful than one where the measurements are quote with all of the channels driven.

8 ohms is the 'normal' load the majority of speakers present to the amplifier. But many speakers present a smaller load (4 ohms or 6 ohms), which is more difficult for the amplifier to handle. So the amplifier has to be designed for those loads.

post #57 of 61 Old 09-08-2014, 04:26 AM

Thanks Jeff,
That you mean about this :"Power Output (8 ohms, 1kHz, THD 1%, 1ch driven)"
if in 1ch has THD 1% ON 5CH has THD 5% or it isn't simple ?

Thanks.
post #58 of 61 Old 09-08-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Jeff,
That you mean about this :"Power Output (8 ohms, 1kHz, THD 1%, 1ch driven)"
if in 1ch has THD 1% ON 5CH has THD 5% or it isn't simple ?
No, not that simple at all. But the THD % isn't the important part there. It's the total output power. The design of that amplifier probably means that driving one channel it can produce 100W/ch, when driving all 5 channels it is probably much, much lower power (per channel). Which is why we want to see the measurements for "all channels driven" - as that is the honest, accurate comparison between products.

Jeff

post #59 of 61 Old 09-08-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
No, not that simple at all. But the THD % isn't the important part there. It's the total output power. The design of that amplifier probably means that driving one channel it can produce 100W/ch, when driving all 5 channels it is probably much, much lower power (per channel). Which is why we want to see the measurements for "all channels driven" - as that is the honest, accurate comparison between products.

Jeff
How can I figure out what the power at all in 5 channel if they didn't write it ?
I have read about for example pioneer :http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/VSX-1123-K

they write :
Power Output: Watts per Channel (20Hz-20kHz,.08%THD@8ohm) ----- 90 Watts x 7
Power Output: Watts per Channel (1kHz,1%THD@6ohm)----------------165 Watts x 7

That mean the Receiver support 8 ohm & 6 ohm speakers?
- and when they write 165 watts x 7 in 6 ohm speaker they mean when I calculate the THD 1% on one channel ? if I want the THD about 5 channel the watts will be lower for example 110 watts x 7 ?

Thanks.

Last edited by FredMin; 09-08-2014 at 09:14 AM.
post #60 of 61 Old 09-08-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How can I figure out what the power at all in 5 channel if they didn't write it ?
I have read about for example pioneer :http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/VSX-1123-K
You can't. Which is why you should read threads in the Receivers forum. And look for published reviews where they will do their own measurements to allow for 'real' comparisons...

Quote:
That mean the Receiver support 8 ohm & 6 ohm speakers?
Yes. But I would always check the manual regarding 4 or 6-ohm support, if you need it.

Quote:
- and when they write 165 watts x 7 in 6 ohm speaker they mean when I calculate the THD 1% on one channel ? if I want the THD about 5 channel the watts will be lower for example 110 watts x 7 ?
Yes, most likely. But know that you are usually only using a few watts when listening (think like 10W or so), the rest is for very short duration bursts - where you want enough headroom to allow the sound to be reproduced at high volume with low distortion...

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page