Help with mounting bookshelf-style speakers to the ceiling - drill or no? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-14-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just moved into a new place, and my living room is not perfectly ideal. I am renting, so unfortunately I cannot make any serious modifications to the room. The room has hardwood floors, so no running wire under the floor or baseboards (because I am renting). It is pre-wired for 5.1, but the wiring is in the ceiling (it was intended for in-ceiling speakers). Also, one side has a wall, but the other is open, so mounting to the wall and running the wire from the ceiling plates to the wall isn't really an option.

I am wanting to use bookshelf speakers (Energy Veritas V5.2C) as my surrounds. The speakers weigh 21.5 lbs.

These speakers do not come pre-configured for mounting (no keyhole or mounting thread). Does anyone have advice on mounting these speakers to the ceiling?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 354
I would vote no - but if the room is wired for in-ceiling speakers (are the wires exposed, in boxes, or above the ceiling?) - you might ask the landlord if they'd just let you install in-ceiling speakers... Monoprice has ~$30 speakers you could just put in and leave for the next folks - and not potentially screw up your Energy bookshelves.

Jef

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 4 Old 01-15-2013, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You should be able to put them on the wall, it would be like hanging a picture. Most landlords repaint the place after you leave anyway, just make sure you fill the holes after you are done.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-15-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I would like to put them on the wall, however only one side has a wall while the other is open. Also, the wiring drops from the ceiling.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page