Audio Cable Length - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to run a 25ft-35ft audio cable to my subwoofer (PSW505) I am just concerned about running a cable of this length with losing signal strength.

I was wondering if this is going to be the case the cable will be bought from monoprice see link below...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=3976&seq=1&format=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-15-2013, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You should be fine, it's using RG6 not RG59 so the signal won't degrade as quick.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Yup what he said. You are good with runs that length. I have used many monoprice cables and have had good luck with them. Don't sweat it!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 340
I've been taught by the forum (and checked this out elsewhere) that for baseband audio signals (subwoofers, analog audio / RCA), RG59 is actually better than RG6. At least when we're talking about normal off-the-shelf cable. The difference is in the shielding / insulation, which is different between the two cable types. The typical construction of RG59 has better characteristics for low-frequency signals, while RG6 works better for high-frequencies (and is why it's required for high-bandwidth satellite and CATV).

The "best" thing to use are the RG6-grade wire made specifically for audio (or baseband video, not CATV), like the Belden Precision 1694a.

Now, that said, for short runs I don't think it will make any difference either way, and if there's a chance the wire will be used for other purposes, I'd probably stick with RG6.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 6 Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Audio can run long distances without any loss in signal. In fact since it is powered Subwoofer, if there is any loss, you can adjust it with the amplifier on the Subwoofer anyways.

I would not worry about it.

Check out my theater! My Theater
Here is the Arcade: The Arcade
post #6 of 6 Old 01-22-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
A major cable manufacture may have more than 40 different RG-59 part numbers and can also have more than 40 different RG-6 part numbers. This part numbers will differ in fire safety, weather resistance, flexibility, strength and the optimized frequency band.
In any case for long unbalanced analog interconnects the most important parameter is low end to end resistance of the shield/return.

Kevin
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page