Best projector and screen for $3000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to this and need help please. I have been researching this but there is just so much info out there. I have a couple question.

1. Should I buy an Epson 5020 or Pani 8000, or the sony 50 and go with a visual apex fixed screen 120inch? Is there a better screen for the price. I can get the 5020 and 120inch screen for around $3000.

2. Or should I buy a cheaper projector say the epson 3020 $1599 and go with a better screen that cost around $1500? If you say this what screen should I get?

My room is a basement so light control isn't a big issue. I have everything wired and ready to go but the projector. My ceiling is 8ft and I will be seating back around 17 ft. The projector will be about 17ft away as well.

Thanks so much for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Projector forum might give a better answer but I would say read through the threads there and pro reviews for comparisons and go from there. I would personally go with one of those projectors(possibly the BenQ w7000 if 3d quality is most important) and the cheaper screen.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Some people say that the screen is forever and projector technology changes every year; so invest more in screen.

I'm a noob but from what I have read, get the Panasonic 8000 and an Elite screen. I'm totally confused about my screen choice - I don't know which one to get or how much difference does a 2000 screen have over a 3500 screen:eek:eek.gifeek.gif
Old 01-15-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post

Some people say that the screen is forever and projector technology changes every year; so invest more in screen.

I'm a noob but from what I have read, get the Panasonic 8000 and an Elite screen. I'm totally confused about my screen choice - I don't know which one to get or how much difference does a 2000 screen have over a 3500 screen:eek:eek.gifeek.gif

That first bit used to be perfectly good advice but it doesn't take into account for 4K resolution coming in the next few years. I don't know how future-proof the OP wants here but it's relevant to the discussion.

My advice: put as much into the projector as you can and build a screen. The best screen in the world won't make a less-than-stellar projector very much better...

Building a screen isn't hard and you can save thousands of bucks. Read through the DIY screen forum here and give it a consideration.

Also, for what it's worth, 17' away from a 120" screen seems a little far. I sit about 12' back from my 139" screen.