After opening a can of worms do I really need to spend $$$ - I'm So Confused! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

A couple of weeks ago I decided that our living room and panny 50ut50 could do with a 5.1 surround system.

Im in New Zealand and there seems to be less choice but its a lot more expensive.

It didnt take long to see that I shouldnt get a htib, as I have a ps3 I didnt want to anyway.

The next option was to buy either a receiver package deal or a seperate receiver and speakers.

The ones that I looked at (small budget) were:

Onkyo HTS4505
Pioneer HTP071

or

Wharfdale MS100b and a seperate (cheapish) receiver.

After hours of searching forums and seeking advice I understand that buying seperates is the best way to go.

So looking at receivers, I had to try and eliminate those that did not have the functions that others did (HD decoding, ARC, 4k pass though, Audussey, active or powered sub, etc etc etc)

After all that I found myself adding more and more to the budget to get a better receiver and one that would last longer.

I thought I had settled on the Onkyo NR414, but then for a bit more was the better NR515.

The only problem with the above is that the receiver is a 1/4 more than what I wanted to pay in the first place for a whole system!

My head is spinning and fried from all the information, and trying to work out what to do.

What Im trying to get at is will my original idea of just a basic / entry level set up be good enough for what I need?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33coupe View Post

Hello,

A couple of weeks ago I decided that our living room and panny 50ut50 could do with a 5.1 surround system.

What Im trying to get at is will my original idea of just a basic / entry level set up be good enough for what I need?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Does not sound like you NEED anything. As an old guy with a living room, I can not put speakers behind my seating area without it looking bad.
So, what to do. I have my normal old stereo speakers on either side of the screen with a 12" sub placed in a sweet spot (talk about confusing.. placing a sub can be a pain) behind my seats. For me what makes it a theater is when something blows up or goes bump and you feel the sub. Having sound come from behind your head when sitting in a high back recliner just doesn't do anything for me, yes a center channel would help with dialog.. So if you don't have a stereo receiver with reasonable speakers that are sufficient in size for the room and a 12" or larger sub, that would be another option. This type of dated 2:1 system can be purchased used for a fraction of the cost of new system with the same quality. Trades offs are: buying uses so selection is limited. The receiver won't switch your video signal and every video components audio will need to be fed to the receiver assuming it has enough inputs.
Just as confusing as to what to buy, less high tech, but an option non the less.. check with family and friends, people that bought quality gear in the 70 and 80s could still have it in the attic collecting dust and be willing to let you borrow it. A set of 2 older, medium to large, floor standing speakers, can sound far superior to new smaller "Home Theater" speakers.
Good luck!

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you go with a cheap HTIB, you can always upgrade as you go along. From those systems you are looking at $400 to $500 for a system. You might as well go find out which is the better one and buy it. Then down the road upgrade your pieces individually.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, its really appreciated.

I know what youre saying airscapes, back in the UK I had 2 stereo speakers plugged directly into my tv, and had them either side of my settee. It was better than just the tv speakers!

Thanks Lepus, that probably sounds like the best way to go. Unless there is a really good deal that comes up for a receiver & seperate speakers.

I'm just trying to find out if there are any differences in speakers between the Onkyo HTS4505 & 6505? Or is the difference just in the receiver? From what I read, the 6505 had streaming capability. If thats all the difference then I'd go for the cheaper model.

Thanks!!!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

I'm just trying to find out if there are any differences in speakers between the Onkyo HTS4505 & 6505? Or is the difference just in the receiver?

Also, I forgot to ask if the Wharfdale MS100B speakers were much better than the Onkyo package speakers?

Thanks

**PS Should this be in the Audio & Speakers section??*** Sorry
post #6 of 7 Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 AM

I can't comment on the difference between the manufactures, but I second the start with the HTIB. I started with a cheap ~$300 HTIB by Onkyo several years ago, and am still using it in my small HT. It's simple, works great together, and if you don't have a rack system yet, you only need space for the receiver in your cabinet or shelf.

Good luck and post a pic of your finished setup.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

After much deliberation (you wouldnt believe how much resaearching I done) I finally have a home theatre!

Even though its treble the price of my original budget (although got it half price), I am over the moon with the final product. If interested, here is what I now have:

Panasonic 50UT50
Onkyo TX NR515
PS3

Speaker Pack: Wharfedale Diamond 9.5's, 9.0's, 9CS, SW70.

When waching films, it feels just as good as bing in the cinema. Even got goose bumps due to the sound.

Just trying to tweak a few options to get the very best out of it.

Thanks for all your input and help!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page