Need Urgent Advice for projector!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-18-2013, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a $4500 (US Dollars) max budget for a projector. Currently I am looking at the JVC X55 for $4200 or Epson 6020 UB for $3300. If any one has better advise, or to choose one among those two, it will be greatly appreciated.

First Home Theater Setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-18-2013, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Why did you rule out Panasonic PT AE8000; it seems to have great reviews.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

What my plan is to have a 176" 2.35:1 screen and I just noticed that the epson does not have lens memory so I will not be able to switch between two modes (16:9/2:35:1). Also according to my installer, he said JVC is better that Panasonic. But I am also looking at that one too. The only reason I am leaning towards a JVC is because their numbers make more sense when you compare contrast ratios (500000:1, Vs. 50000:1) I double there is such thing as TRUE 500000:1. But Thanks for the suggestion I will look at that projector as well!

post #4 of 10 Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 363
That's a HUGE screen! I'm not sure any of those projectors (or anything in that price range) is going to give you acceptable results... I suggest you post / read a bunch of threads in the "Digital High-End Projector" forum before pulling any triggers.

And why "urgent"? Is the money on fire? wink.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 10 Old 01-18-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheaterGuru View Post

Also according to my installer, he said JVC is better that Panasonic. But I am also looking at that one too. The only reason I am leaning towards a JVC is because their numbers make more sense when you compare contrast ratios (500000:1, Vs. 50000:1) I double there is such thing as TRUE 500000:1. But Thanks for the suggestion I will look at that projector as well!

When an installer says something like that, it often really means that his margins are better on the recommmended equipment. You need to do your own evaluation and make your own decision.

These contrast ratios are insane and unrealistic when it is all going to be overshadowed by screen choice, and ambient light in the room. This probably shouldn't be the killer criteria in making a decision. Now if the contrast ratio was 500:1...

I calculated that a 172" 2.35:1 screen is 68" high, or nearly 6' Do you have the ceiling height in your room to support that. Ideally, you want eyeballs about 1/3 of the way up. Figure your eyes in the first row are 4' off the ground, you would need about 2 ft from the floor to bottom of screen. That means a minimum of an 8' ceiling, and ideally at least 9'. You would also want to be sitting at least 12' and preferably closer to 15' back. Is your room large enough to support that?

Also second Jeff's comments (as usual)
post #6 of 10 Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Yes that is about exactly how big my room is with 8 ft ceiling. and 25ft long.

post #7 of 10 Old 01-18-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

The urgency is that I have placed an order foEpson 6020UB and if I need to cancel it, I need to do it very soon =)

post #8 of 10 Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:

I have a $4500 (US Dollars) max budget for a projector. Currently I am looking at the JVC X55 for $4200 or Epson 6020 UB for $3300. If any one has better advise, or to choose one among those two, it will be greatly appreciated.
Quote:

The urgency is that I have placed an order foEpson 6020UB and if I need to cancel it, I need to do it very soon =)

So, not really "looking" then... rolleyes.gif

I think you should be very concerned about using projectors in this price range for a screen of that size. What's your seating distance(s). 120" may be a better target...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #9 of 10 Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Personally, I would not put a screen that big in a room with 8 foot ceilings, but that is me. I think that having that large a screen results in viewing fatigue where you need to actually move your head back and forth to view the screen. Having to move your eyes is one thing, but having to move your head results in being tired after watching a movie.

I liken it to sitting in the front row of a movie theater. I guess some people like it, but myself, I prefer to be able to see the whole picture in my peripheral vision.

Plus if you have two rows or more, you are going to have to raise the back rows up to get over the first row people in order to actually see the lower part of the screen.

Check out my theater! My Theater
Here is the Arcade: The Arcade
post #10 of 10 Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hey everybody thanks for you suggestions! I have moved this forum and here is the link!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1454985/first-projector-home-theater-setup-suggestions

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page