Mitsubishi Rear Projection 60" - with Satellite (DirecTV) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-18-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought this new in 1996 - and the reception is excellent for a non-HDTV. The digital signal of the Satellite gives it a clear picture even at this size (because of the excellent Mitsubishi quality).

My question to the forum is - it's working great - no problems (I paid $4,200 brand new). Should I get rid of it for a plasma/lcd/led, or keep it until it dies? Not to mention it would be a pain to get down the winding stairs of an old Victorian house.

I have other TV's that are flat screen - but hate to get rid of something I paid so much money for and works well.

The thing is, I don't think I would feel comfortable to have people over for a Super Bowl party or anything with it. Perhaps set up an HDTV next to it, for such events? But then, people would wonder why I have two tv's in the room.

What are your thoughts?

Wondering in Boston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 63
maybe but it's the lack of sleep I'm getting due to my 4 week old daughter, but I hate threads/questions like this...

it's your money and you know yourself better than anyone else on here... do whatever YOU think is right.

post #3 of 4 Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 130
If you are happy with the picture and it aint broke.... I think you know the answer.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-19-2013, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Yeah, it's your money, decide for yourself when it's important to "upgrade".

You might not like this, but here goes. The value of that set to anyone else is effectively zero. Look at how low the Craigslist prices are for HDTV rear-projection sets / DLPs, and you'll see that essentially no one will want it. Which is both good news and bad news. Bad news is - it's worthless to anyone but you. Good news - because of that, when it comes time to dispose of it, you'll be doing exactly that, so consider disassembling the chassis instead of wrestling it down the stairs intact. Chunks and pieces small enough to carry. And it's going into a dumpster...

(Note that CRT-based units like this have high voltage components that may retain charge when unplugged - don't go playing around inside it - take the chassis apart and carry the electronics down as one unit)

Now, you might find someone to give you $50 for it, or you could donate it to charity, but having to take it down stairs is going to turn most folks off, so that job is going to fall on you...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page