Great Room Sound System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello AVS community.

I have a great room that is open with the kitchen and dining area which is about 600 sq ft. I would like to get a good sound system for my entertainment needs. The use of this system will be for HD movies and listening to music, I rarely watch cable TV. I recently purchase a Harman Kardon - AVR 1700 which Best Buy had on sale for $200. Excuse my terminology and knowledge on this because I do not know much about home theater systems. What speakers and subs are recommended, wall mount or floor speakers? Is having 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound that big of a deal. Another idea to the sound system I had was to also install in ceiling speakers throughout the whole house but I didn't know if that was a good idea or not. If you could please help point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated. Also I have nothing but tile, wood laminate floors, and vaulted ceilings in the house if that matters.

Thanks for your time biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hello and welcome.

One of the first questions you will get asked is "What is your budget"?

The next question is what is your room dimensions and layout. Pictures of the room help greatly here.

The good thing with speakers is there are a lot of options out there. The bad thing about audio is there are a lot of options out there. The other thing with audio is that everyone has an opinion on audio, and they think their opinion or product is "The best".

To answer your question, yes how your house is built (vaulted ceilings), and what your floor coverings are (tile, laminate, hard wood, and carpet) do have a direct affect (or is it effect) on sound in your house/room.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Hello and welcome.

One of the first questions you will get asked is "What is your budget"?

The next question is what is your room dimensions and layout. Pictures of the room help greatly here.

The good thing with speakers is there are a lot of options out there. The bad thing about audio is there are a lot of options out there. The other thing with audio is that everyone has an opinion on audio, and they think their opinion or product is "The best".

To answer your question, yes how your house is built (vaulted ceilings), and what your floor coverings are (tile, laminate, hard wood, and carpet) do have a direct affect (or is it effect) on sound in your house/room.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks for the reply. I attached some photos of the room. As for the price... I haven't set one yet. If I think it's worth it I'll pay for it, but to start off I would like to keep it under $2000?

First photo is the great room. Behind that is the dining area and to your right is the kitchen with a bar height counter.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Maybe some furniture would be a better purchase at this point? wink.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
At least having some furniture in the room would help tame some of the reflections caused by all of the hard surfaces. wink.gif

On the audio suggestion front. with a 2k budget I would look at AXIOM, ASCEND, and HSU.

Each of these companies are very well respected and with 2k you should be able to put together a system that sounds great in your home.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Furniture is another project I'm working on but I know furniture so no worries there. The interior is still being worked on so I haven't moved anything in.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those system. If there are other setups worth looking at I would like to hear them. I could move the budgets up to $3k or more.

Thanks again.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

As of right now I am going with a HSU system. Got in contact with them to see which one they recommend. I was looking at the Ultra15 5.1.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page