First post -- in wall wiring question (HDMI or Component) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm building a woodworking shop and planning on putting 4 speakers in the ceiling and big flat screen TV on one wall. All the A/V equipment (DVD, receiver,...) will be about 25' away so I'd like to run in wall video and audio to the TV. What should I run in the walls to the TV? Do people run long premade HDMI cables or premade composite or something else?

---
Bob C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 376
An in-wall-rated HDMI cable would be a good choice (see the Redmere technology ones at Monoprice), but you should also run at least 2 Cat5e / Cat6 cables, in case the HDMI cable ever becomes obsolete, or you want to use Ethernet at the TV. Don't forget about remote control of the gear.

Note that if you penetrate the ceiling of the garage you should build backer boxes for the speakers to retain the fire rating of the sheetrock.... (may be code in your area).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 6 Old 01-21-2013, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
You may want to consider 5.1 in that room. I'm currently planning a switch to 5.1, from 2.0, in my workshop. Now is the time to wire for it, if it's ever a future consideration.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I looked at those redmere cables and I'm impressed. Seems like there's no need for me to run hdmi over cat5/6. Also good point about the fire break...ill look into that.

Regarding control... Give me some insight

Regarding

---
Bob C
post #5 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper5114 View Post

Thanks. I looked at those redmere cables and I'm impressed. Seems like there's no need for me to run hdmi over cat5/6. Also good point about the fire break...ill look into that.

Only caution on Redmere - the cable is DIRECTIONAL, so make sure you install it the right way, you can't swap the ends later... biggrin.gif
Quote:
Regarding control... Give me some insight

Well, lots of answers, but depends on what you're controlling and what you want to accomplish. Hidden gear can be most easily controlled with an RF remote, but when there's a TV involved, using an IR repeater (since you'll likely use the TV's IR remote to point at it anyway) can be a good choice. Which is why you should run some cat5e along with any other cable (HDMI / Redmere), so that you have cheap options for IR repeating. There are IR injectors for HDMI cables, too.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #6 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

in the shop everything should be pretty accessible. i'm reading/learning about about control and for example using an iphone app to drive/control the TV/receiverdvd, ... I'm just curious how well adopted the protocols are which facilitate this. i'm assuming all this happens over the LAN and i took a quick look at Sharps very large (80-90") TV's and really don't see any reference to features which imply the tv itself supports something like this -- nor ethernet over HMDI, etc. am i missing something.

Forgive all the novice questions.

---
Bob C
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page