2 TVs on one Cable Box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right now I have one 46" HDTV hooked up with an HDMI cord, and audio goes coaxial through an LG surround sound . Is it possible to hook up another TV to the same cable box using a regular cable wire and have both TVs work at the same time (mirror images)? I don't want to be charged for another cable box and I know using a regular cable wire wont give me great picture quality but I can deal with that. It would take me about 50" of wire to get to the secondary TV so would that give me a audio lag?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 335
You can use an HDMI splitter on the output of the cable box. Then probably an HDMI-over-Cat5 extender (using 2 cat5e cables, likely) to get to the TV if it's 50' away. The other choice would be a long cable with RedMere to compensate for the distance:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025503&p_id=9432&seq=1&format=2

Actually, looking at splitters at Monoprice, this one has a single-cable extender built in, so it would be a good solution, and only needs one cat5e cable run. Just use a short patch cord to the receiver end for your TV in the same room.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8158&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

And no, there will be no audio lag due to the cable length(s). Speed of light and all that. smile.gif

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

The only reason I'm worried about audio lag is because when I have my surround sound on (which is always) and then turn the volume up on the actual TV there's a slight difference in audio timing. The surround sound is hooked up through coxial, should it be done through optical instead for better sound quality and timing?
post #4 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob51988 View Post

The only reason I'm worried about audio lag is because when I have my surround sound on (which is always) and then turn the volume up on the actual TV there's a slight difference in audio timing. The surround sound is hooked up through coxial, should it be done through optical instead for better sound quality and timing?

If you have the audio being processed by a separate device (an AVR instead of the TV's speakers), there can be a significant delay caused by the video processing in the TV. In these cases, the audio is actually "ahead" of the video.

That is what you are experiencing, and will depend on the TV's video processing - it has nothing to do with cable length or even analog vs. digital audio. This can be minimized by turning off any optional video processing (aka "motion flow", "frame interpolation", 240Hz processing, etc.).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 PM

My suggestion --- try it.

Plug a cable in and see what happens. If it doesn't work, take the regular cable wire back (or you might even have some laying around).

I had a similar issue. I wanted to get a projector and TV working off one cable box. I did alot of research, bought a splitter (that didn't work) and wasted a couple weeks. Then I plugged in a set of component cables along with an HDMI cable at the same time and presto, everything works the way I wanted.

I thought my cable box would only output video on one or the other (not sure why I thought that) but it actually sends everything to all audio/video outs.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page