Living Room compact 2/3 speaker setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Moving to a single family home with plans for a basement entertainment room. But for now, want something effective for the living room that is small - no towers. Since the TV is going to be in a corner, not sure how much space would be left even for bookshelves. I was thinking either two good fronts or fronts + a center. Primarily for good dialogue audio since with an infant at home, not going to watch action / loud audio movies.

Any suggestions? Budget is pretty flexible.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 AM

Liked: 15
First suggestion is to train your child to sleep through anything and get back into those action movies.

My advice would be to find a way to fit some bookshelf speakers into the mix (maybe look for front ported ones that you can get pretty snug to the wall) and you can always add a center later if you think you need it, and even surrounds if you move downstairs. There aren't many bookshelf speakers that don't have a matching center anymore.

Finishing up my basement with 5.1 but I'll be keeping a set of Paradigm bookshelfs upstairs for movies but also for ambient music. Music sounds horrible on HTIB (or even worse TV) sized speakers.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepperb View Post

First suggestion is to train your child to sleep through anything and get back into those action movies.

LOL! Will get cracking on that right away biggrin.gif
Quote:
My advice would be to find a way to fit some bookshelf speakers into the mix (maybe look for front ported ones that you can get pretty snug to the wall) and you can always add a center later if you think you need it, and even surrounds if you move downstairs. There aren't many bookshelf speakers that don't have a matching center anymore.

Finishing up my basement with 5.1 but I'll be keeping a set of Paradigm bookshelfs upstairs for movies but also for ambient music. Music sounds horrible on HTIB (or even worse TV) sized speakers.

I should've provided some context here. I currently have a good 7.1 setup in the apartment with two floor standing fronts, a center, 5" bookshelves for surround, 12" SW and a Yamaha receiver. All that with enhancements will go to the basement - probably add a better receiver or dedicated amp for fronts and an extra sub.

For the LR, the space is controlled by aesthetics. I have to do best in the provided space. The LCD TV is going to be a corner wall mount and with a small component stand. This is the chosen component stand:
http://www.standsandmounts.com/bushvisionscollectionflatpanelcornertvstand-vs97227-03.aspx

I am thinking, I can fit two sound-bar or center type speakers (but not powered) vertically on sides of the stand, place a 6-8" SW in the bottom shelf and if need be add a center on top of the stand (same as the fronts). Was looking at Yamaha NS-C310 to be used as fronts. These will be driven by a Yamaha RX-671.

Thoughts?
post #4 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM

Liked: 15
In that stand the speakers would be so close I would just get a pair and run in stereo, I assume the Yamaha will do a "phantom" center channel or downmix everything to stereo.

2.5" woofers would make me buy the stand first and hope I could fit something larger in there after taking some measurements. Even with a sub I'd be worried about a lull in the low male voice range (to say nothing of how hard those would be working to fill a room with music).
post #5 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

For front speaker pair, I am looking at HSU HB-1 Mk2 now. Looks like it is hard to go wrong with the HB-1s for the money.

For the receiver/amp, I am undecided. I could use my Yamaha RX-671 to drive two fronts, a center and a sub and give good support to the fronts by bi-amping. On the other hand, I could go with a stereo receiver since I don't need all the other features of the RX-671 especially all the HDMI switching since the TV can handle that. The HK3390/3490 seem to have good reviews for a stereo amp.
http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3490-Receiver/dp/B00198F89A/ref=sr_1_7?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1359400993&sr=1-7&keywords=stereo+amplifier

But I forgo the center with a stereo amp.

Choices, choices! :-)
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page