Stepdown transformers, power strips, and moving to Europe - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so in just two months I will be relocating to Europe and bringing my equipment along for the ride.

My question is, does anyone have any sort of recommendations for step down transformers necessary to power a receiver and a few other devices? I'll have to go big, I realize, but I'm looking for some suggestions.

In addition to that, I'm wondering about power strip usage. I've heard that surge protectors simply do not work properly with such a transformer, but what about a non-surge protected power strip? Is there anything like that which would work for me?

I'm going to be starting all over again with a new gaming and media room and this power question has been the one thing really concerning me. It's time to buy one of these things but I'm really not sure where to begin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Look at the power input requirements for each of your components - some devices will work with both voltages / frequencies, and you'd just need a new power cord or an adapter. The removable power cord is usually a good indicator of this support, too (but check the markings on the device). Anything with an external DC power supply / wall wart can be used, too, just by changing that out.

The AVR would be the big concern, as they're usually single-voltage (for cost), and will have a large power requirement. You might be better off selling it before you leave and use the opportunity to upgrade...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 01-25-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Remember that we have this 50Hz / 60Hz thing. Power transformers designed for only 60Hz will not be happy with a 50Hz supply. On the bright side, most modern equipment is designed for both frequencies.

Kevin
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page