HDTV "Drawer" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for some tips or suggestions from all the smart people in AVS forum. I just recently finished off my basement and I built this "media wall."

I recently discovered during the overlap of golf and football season that I need more than one TV on this wall. The second TV would only need to be around on special occasions. My vision is to build a drawer under one of the built-in bookshelves. I've provided a picture below to help you visualize.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge in this? I'm looking to pull the drawer out and swing it up to a mounted TV. What drawer hardware would I need? Does anyone have any recommendation on websites that sell hardware like that?

Keep in mind I built this entire basement myself so I'm quite handy but I don't want to reinvent the wheel when it is possible someone has already created this "drawer"

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The computer industry has already invented what you are looking for, kind of. There are a number of rack mount, slide out drawers that include an LCD monitor, keyboard and touchpad, although this is overkill for your situation. Look at how a few of these are laid out to get an idea of what you will need to manage the cables as you open and close the drawer.
I think your best bet would be to find a slide out turntable, designed for a CRT, fabricate a fold up arm/picture stand for your flat panel, and a drawer front to hide everything when it's closed.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #3 of 4 Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking about using just a standard slides and just mounting a drawer face to a piece of wood. Then fabricating some sort of hinged system to stand the TV with a leg behind it to help it stand.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-24-2013, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
yep, build your drawer and front, with the TV on some sort of hinged platform that lifts it above the drawer front. You should be able to use whatever VESA mounting holes in the back of the display to rig an attachment to your hinge mechanism. Are you going to have to deal with more than one power cable and one input cable?
This could be very cool. I'm guessing there's some pimped out crib somewhere sporting one of these with hydraulics to operate it.

underachiever extraordinaire
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page