Troubleshooting signal loss while using a HDMI splitter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I built a a theater room in my den a few years ago and needed dual outputs to feed into a projector and a TV mounted on the wall behind my pull down screen(currently at work so I don't have model specifics). My PS3/DVR input into my reciever via HDMI, and the output from the reciever goes into a ViewHD 1x2 HDMI splitter, which then go into my projector and TV.

About 6 months after everything was put together I started noticing when I turned on my system I wasn't getting a signal and there was a red light on my HDMI splitter. Unplugged the splitter and when plugged back in the light turned back to blue and I had my signal back. At the time it was a minor annoyance because I only had to do it maybe once a month but about 6 months ago I started losing signal watching movies for about 5-10 sec, and now I get a signal drop every 30 min or so. I just figured the splitter was going out and needed to be replaced.

After I started thinking about it a little more I started to second guess myself on the problem being the splitter because when I would drop the signal, I would lose both video and audio. The audio was coming straight from my PS3/DVR into the reciever and out to my speakers and was never going through the splitter. When I unplugged the projector HDMI from the splitter I would lose the image, but sound was still coming out from my speakers. But when I unplugged the splitter all together and ran the projector straight to the reciever I didn't get any signal loss. I watched a few movies on it and didn't have any problems.

Could my splitter be giving me feedback to my reciever to loose both audio/video? I want to get a new splitter if that's the problem, but I want to get to the root of the problem if it's something else.

If the problem is the splitter can someone recommend a good one? Checking on Amazon they're all pretty similar in price, but all of them have the same negative reviews against them saying they start going out pretty quickly. The more expensive units I saw didn't have enough reviews on them to convince me they wouldn't do the same thing. I don't mind shelling out the extra cash for a more expensive splitter, I just want to know paying for a quality item.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 335
The HDMI sources may be going through a re-negotiation cycle when a device link goes down / drops out, which will explain temporary loss of audio. No direct recommendations for splitters other than to use one that has its own power adapter, not one that is powered from the HDMI connection itself.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the feedback. The one I'm currently using has it's own power source, similar to this.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-Certified-Outputs/dp/B002673EW6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359061851&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+splitter+viewhd

Was thinking about getting this splitter, but was a little leery with having only 1 review. It's about double the price, but would be worth it if it holds up over time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158280
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page