Paint exposed ceiling black? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to part finish my basement for bar, games area and spot to watch movies (not really a theater though). On a budget and want to do something different. Thinking of painting the exposed ceiling black with a wagner sprayer. The furnace and water heater have open flame. Should I be closing off the furnace area before I paint ceiling? I can open the windows but they're small so there won't be alot of air movement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-24-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Really? This is a question???

From THE FIRST PAGE of the manual:

b) WARNING - To reduce the risk of fire or explosion:
1. Do not spray flammable or combustible materials near an open flame, pilot lights or sources of ignition such as hot objects,
cigarettes, motors, electrical equipment and electrical appliances.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 9 Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

If you're talking about the manual for the sprayer, I don't have one. And I've never used a paint sprayer before. Just an idea at this point. Should I just turn them off while i'm spraying and for a few hours after? Or what do people usually do?
post #4 of 9 Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wagner+power+painter+manual&l=1

I would certainly turn them off during the painting, open the windows, put a box fan in one window to circulate air, and leave it there for a while after you're done. Don't think you need to leave them off for several hours, but if it were me, I'd leave everything turned off as long as practical, though... Keep the air circulating to get rid of any paint particles in the air.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll look into it more.
Geeze, flamed on my first post! I thought I was having sense thinking about that before anything else..

I tried a search but couldn't find much about this. Has anyone done this and had problems with peeling on any surfaces? The ductwork can get pretty warm, would this create problems with the paint?
I'm assuming I should use a different kind of primer since i'm painting the ductwork wood and wires. Any recommendations or should I just go by what the paint store says to use?
post #6 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian85 View Post

Thanks, I'll look into it more.
Geeze, flamed on my first post! I thought I was having sense thinking about that before anything else..

biggrin.gif

Well, you are asking questions completely unrelated to home theater...
Quote:
I tried a search but couldn't find much about this. Has anyone done this and had problems with peeling on any surfaces? The ductwork can get pretty warm, would this create problems with the paint? I'm assuming I should use a different kind of primer since i'm painting the ductwork wood and wires. Any recommendations or should I just go by what the paint store says to use?

Definitely talk to the paint guys. I'd imagine you might have trouble getting normal latex to adhere well to metal ductwork without the right primer. I'd also have a conversation with the paint guys about the type of sprayer to use - I'll bet they'll recommend renting a "real" one.

And you are obligated to post pictures of the results! Good luck,

Jeff

post #7 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

I've been reading these forums for a while, just to get ideas for my basement. There are alot of awesome basement and bar builds (and knowledgeable people) on these forums so couldn't think of better place to post.
While I know this site is meant for home theaters, I was hoping to get some advise while I do my basement. And when I start I have pics.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, don't blame you there... The forum has a wealth of knowledge on all construction-related topics. I just had to laugh at you. biggrin.gif I mean, you knew enough to call it an "open flame", which is exactly the terminology the safety warnings always use.

If you post a sketch with dimensions (draw it on paper and take a photo if that's easier), you'll get all kinds of advice on layout.

Jeff

post #9 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Guess that's what happens when I ask a stupid question..

I've got a plan drawn up on cad, I'll post when I get a chance.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page