Need advice regarding speaker placement/TV Stand - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-25-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just got my new screen up and it seems I had a few miscalculations in measurements. I have the Andrew Jones pioneer speakers (not the $80,000 ones smile.gif and the center channel is a decent size.

Now, when I'm sitting on the couch, the speaker peeks into view at the bottom of the screen. I had thought about getting a different, smaller center channel, but don't want to screw up the timber of my speakers.

Here are some pictures to illustrate the problem.

My current setup:

and from the seating area:

I'm not sure if you can see it in the photo, but the center speaker edges into the screen just slightly from my viewing height.
I can't really move the TV stand, as all my speaker hookups, cable line, and ethernet ports are there. It currently houses my receiver, PS3, HTPC, and several hard drives.

Any suggestions on some relatively cheap means of fixing my problem? As you can see, I can't really raise the screen.
I've considered sawing down the feet of the TV stand a few inches, but that really ruins the piece and we're only going to be in our current house for a few more years.

Does anyone know of an extra low profile TV stand that could accommodate my equipment that I could still have the speaker on (20" or less I'd guess). The Ikea LACK tv unit (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40105340/) is certainly short enough (and cheap enough), but I'd ideally like something enclosed like my current setup becaue of sound and cable management.

Any help? I just need the setup to be a few inches shorter!
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnet77 View Post

I've just got my new screen up and it seems I had a few miscalculations in measurements. I have the Andrew Jones pioneer speakers (not the $80,000 ones smile.gif and the center channel is a decent size.

Now, when I'm sitting on the couch, the speaker peeks into view at the bottom of the screen. I had thought about getting a different, smaller center channel, but don't want to screw up the timber of my speakers.

Here are some pictures to illustrate the problem.

My current setup:

and from the seating area:

I'm not sure if you can see it in the photo, but the center speaker edges into the screen just slightly from my viewing height.
I can't really move the TV stand, as all my speaker hookups, cable line, and ethernet ports are there. It currently houses my receiver, PS3, HTPC, and several hard drives.

Any suggestions on some relatively cheap means of fixing my problem? As you can see, I can't really raise the screen.
I've considered sawing down the feet of the TV stand a few inches, but that really ruins the piece and we're only going to be in our current house for a few more years.

Does anyone know of an extra low profile TV stand that could accommodate my equipment that I could still have the speaker on (20" or less I'd guess). The Ikea LACK tv unit (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40105340/) is certainly short enough (and cheap enough), but I'd ideally like something enclosed like my current setup becaue of sound and cable management.

Any help? I just need the setup to be a few inches shorter!
Thanks.
. Not.. to be funny ..see how many inches ..that you are off on the center.. and see if you can cut of the difference from the TV stand legs... it may be an easy fix..and you may not have to spend more on a new stand..nice layout by the way..

loves...home theather/music/football:)
post #3 of 5 Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I would go with the leg modification. Assuming you have the needed equipment and skill set to do the work correctly.
Or rework the room moving the equipment cabinet someplace else. Then buy/make a stand for the center channel.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-25-2013, 12:09 PM

Dig around Ikea for the Besta line. It worked for me, and they have shorter units than I used. Click link down there and scroll to the end.

What did you use for your ceiling? Is that just painted lay-in tile?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I pulled out the circular saw and opted to trim the legs on the TV stand. I had to cut off a bit more than I planned because of the way the feet curved out, but it worked out fine. I put some 1 inch rubber coasters on the bottom so the "belly" isn't directly on the floor, and now my center channel speaker is nicely out of view of the screen.

mndwgz, the ceiling is just black acoustic tiles bought off eBay. I was going to paint, but didn't want to deal with how much paint the tiles would absorb, as well as possible bowing.

I think it's time for a movie night!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page