Extremely Cheap Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I got a house. My wife and I have finally found a house we can love in our pricerange, and best yet it has a room for my home theater, although its not the biggest room:rolleyes:.

Its 21x10. I know. its borderline too small, but i have researched pretty extensively and i can make it work.

because i have no money after buying this house, at least for the time being this will be a cheap build. the room is unfinished and needs to be wired, so i want to make it future compatible.

my equipment is all extremely low budget, but because I went a little unorthodox in its aquisition I think it will work out.

My proejctor is a proxima 9310 which is old but was 15k dollars when it was new. with a hd fury adapter (i got the projector on craigslist for $25). I think I will be creating my own mount for it, since peerless wants $220 for the mount. If anyone has any better options for a mount that doesnt break the bank it would be great.

I got a damaged Da-lite screen for $30 that i am in the process of repairing, It just has a broken bezel.

Here are some pics of the room as it is now and what I hope to do to it.

The shelves the are at the end are getting ripped out.

Ah, well, sir, I feel like a, like a slice of butter... melting on top of a big-ol' pile of flapjacks... yeah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Greetings and welcome to the madness.

You're space is not small.....it's cozy. smile.gif Actually your depth is just fine at 21 feet, mine is 20 so you are good there. You are on the narrower side thought if that is what you are speaking of when you say "too small". As long as you have realistic expectations on what you can do with your space (with the inspirational photo you have I see that you do) you will be fine. The thing I see with small spaces in general is people trying to put 10lbs of "stuff" in a 5lb bag.

How big is your screen and what are you doing for speakers.

On the mount, you might try that auction site or monoprice and look for universal mounts. I know there are several here on the forum that have used the universal style. Some love them, some not so much. I can tell you that when I went mount shopping I too got sticker shock. I looked at all the options and ended up going with a Chief mount. Yes they are pricy, but boy are they over engineered and solid pieces of equipment. I'm glad I spent a little extra on the mount so I have piece of mind with my PJ hanging directly over my second row.

I do like the inspirational photo, very classy look to it.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #3 of 42 Old 01-27-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Looks promising! Don't sell yourself short. I am *very* proud of my room but I still catch myself being jealous while looking at other peoples' rooms. If you do that you'll always want more. TRUST me: if you made a room that was 50% of the inspiration photo you posted you'll be in 7th heaven and your friends/neighbors will be beside themselves. Don't sweat the money thing either... I was in the same boat after buying my house and I just sprinkled whatever I could on the theater-build every month.

What size is the screen you scored?

What is your plan for speakers? In-walls in the front below/adjacent to the screen? What about the BASSSSS? biggrin.gif
post #4 of 42 Old 02-02-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay. busy week. thanks your theaters look great!

My screen is 100" diagonal. Its about 8 feet wide if i remember correctly. The variable i haven't been able to measure for yet is the soffet that needs to be framed out. I plan the have my 73inch mitsubishi tv sit on a BDI stand and have the screen pull down in front of it. I am not firm on this yet.

I plan to use my current standing speaker for now, but i am going to prewire for in walls when I have the money. I know i will be itching to get them down the road.

The Da-Lite screen is already fixed and is 100% functional and without any noticeable flaws. Not bad for $30

Ah, well, sir, I feel like a, like a slice of butter... melting on top of a big-ol' pile of flapjacks... yeah.
post #5 of 42 Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Good score on the screen and good to hear you got it fixed. I'll be interested to see how this unfolds. "scribed"

At least one good thing about a narrow room, your carpet won't have any seams.smile.gif

Robin Major

I never know what to put here.<---- Soon to be build thread.
post #6 of 42 Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

any thoughts on engineered hardwood floating floors for a home theater. Ive never seen anyone do it and assume thats because of the accoustics, but in room this small it may not matter. you can pick up scrap harwood for a few hundred bucks.

post #7 of 42 Old 02-04-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Audio and video.. finish is reflective.. Yes, if you like hardwood you can use area rugs to fix the reflections and tame the echo...
post #8 of 42 Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 AM

Liked: 15
I laid platon on my concrete floor, osb on that (with some tapcons holding it down) and then carpet on that. I still think this was under 2 bucks a square foot all said and done, at least less than 2.50. I also did some laminate on top of the OSB that cost about the same. IMO Platon is definitely worth the money, it keeps the floor warm (and it is night and day right now stepping from the finished to the unfinished area) but it also lets water flow under it to the drain if that's ever an issue, and is a moisture barrier as well. Back to my point that carpet doesn't really cost more than laminate and since you don't have any seams you can DIY it pretty easily.

I did my basement for probably 6 bucks a square foot. Some things you just have to spend money on, for example you have to do a good job with the walls to avoid mold. I did 2" foam board sealed all around. It's just not reasonable to add this later. Same thing with the floor, IMO. Carpet or laminate on concrete will be cold but it's not easy to upgrade later.
michanecash likes this.
post #9 of 42 Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 67
How tall is the room? And the depth under the HVAC sheet metal?
post #10 of 42 Old 02-05-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

They are 9 foot ceilings. I would guess the HVAC is 18-20 deep. I havent moved in yet so I cant measure it right now.

post #11 of 42 Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 AM

It might be hard to fit a standard door in that location if it's under the duct, though if it's a 9 foot ceiling and the duct is a standard 10" you might be able to pull it off. I would have loved 9' ceilings, our house came with 7'6... no tophats or pogosticks in the basement.

What is the little nook on the left side of the drawing (with the wood floor)?
post #12 of 42 Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Its a storage area under the stairs that i think i am going to make into a bar

post #13 of 42 Old 02-16-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Ordered my HDFURY 3. Cant wait to try it out. I had ordered a cheap knockoff one from ebay a long time ago and finally tried it. It couldnt process quick enough and it made lines across any movement.

I couldnt help it and mounted my screen where i am currently living.

I have a new problem though. My new home that I close on the 27th for had radon. We new this going into it and the sellers were putting in a remediation system. As luck would have it, it was put in my TV room. Whoever installed it really half assed it. The have it a foot away from the wall and have it going up and then over into the shelving I had planned on ripping out. I don't see any way around this, so I think I will have to relocate it once I move in.

post #14 of 42 Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Just guessing, but if that vent goes under the slab to vent the gas, it would need to be a foot away from the wall as there are footers under the wall that are wider than the wall.
post #15 of 42 Old 02-16-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

I think your right about that. I was just disappointed that they 1) put it where my fire place access is so that I can really build out that wall without having two foot deep access hole for the ash door and 2) they ran the pipe up and then over at an angle.

post #16 of 42 Old 02-17-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 67
One solution: Put the tv elsewhere... Redo the radon piping so it goes over to the wall, and then up. Build a stage that hides the piping.
Frame a new front wall to hide the vertical run of the piping. Then use a cleat to hang the screen, and build a fabric panel
below the screen and hang by a cleat also. Then you'd have access to the fireplace access by removing the screen, and then the lower panel.

Another solution would be to use some of Seymourav.com's Center Stage XD DIY screen material in the Draper frame. Cleated to hang it, but
with an AT space behind the screen. Now your speakers are behind the screen, and don't get pushed deep into the corners of the room.

aaa.jpg 80k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaa.jpg (80.4 KB, 17 views)
post #17 of 42 Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 AM

I'm not sure if it's sewage or drain pipe (the are both white but different internal/external diameters, there is no standard for Radon) but either way it's very easy to work with. Two 90's wouldn't add that much restriction and you could be done in an hour, tops. Then maybe you can build a 6" "stage" and have it all look good.

I agree it's not ideal but generally they can tie into the drain tile anywhere but they want a space least visible in the exterior of the house, which is probably the corner by the chimney. What surprised me is that they didn't use the sump crock (or maybe you don't have one)?
post #18 of 42 Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

so i bought a hd fury 3. so far i am disappointed. I had orignally bought a cheap knockoff and the main reason i bought the hdfury was my belief that the knockoff couldnt process the video. The HD FURY is having the same issue. I have a BDP-1500 LG Blu ray that i have with an hdmi cable going into the hd fury and then a vga out. At first all I got was a green tint, but I played with the settings and got it to work. I still have the same problem pre-$295 HD Fury install.

here is a video of my issue, whenever there is movement i get horizontal lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11HqGZLlIHo&feature=youtu.be

post #19 of 42 Old 01-25-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

been a while but a lot of progress. Shelves got ripped down. walls framed. can lighting intsalled. pipe moved. spackle goes up next.

after shelves were ripped out
IMG_5517_zps7389b282.jpg

Stupid pipe moved and boxed into wall. rented a circular diamond drill for this one. had to rent it. cool tool.
IMG_55301_zps00c0e9b9.jpg

drywall installed
IMG_55331_zpsff2c9bbf.jpg

post #20 of 42 Old 01-31-2014, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

All done just needs paint and carpet

post #21 of 42 Old 01-31-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
looking good, I can't wait until I get to the drywall stage on mine! Did you do the drywall yourself?
post #22 of 42 Old 02-07-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

yeah it was a pain. me and one other guy did it.

post #23 of 42 Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

got it painted. carpet goes in next week. found a 25' x 12' carpet roll for $85

photo6_zps610a2c3c.jpg
photo5_zps4ecf5c1d.jpg

post #24 of 42 Old 02-07-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I'd like to go on record to say that I LOVE this build. I love the fact that you are repurposing gear that others may have just thrown away. I love seeing what others can do on a budget.

I did the same thing a few years ago. Pieced together the first version of my theater on a very tight budget, using craigslist, the Best Buy open box table and existing equipment. It wasn't high-end, but it was enjoyable as hell. Piece by piece I went through and upgraded when the budget allows, or when I find another great deal on craigslist.

Then I jumped into a bit of a remodel, again on a tight budget, still repurposing materials whenever possible.

I absolutely love seeing others with the same spirit, doing the best they can with what they can find. People are floored when I tell them how little my theater cost.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #25 of 42 Old 02-07-2014, 10:18 AM

looks amazing so far, ...Can't wait to see the end results
post #26 of 42 Old 02-08-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks I've always been frugal when it comes to buying thing. I took one of the shelves that were in the basement and turned in into wall shelves in our family room

post #27 of 42 Old 02-11-2014, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Got two of my posters done. I have Indiana jone and Star Wars to still mount

post #28 of 42 Old 02-14-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well carpet is in $400 bucks through friend and some returns at Lowes. Got the tv in. I am ecstatic!

post #29 of 42 Old 02-15-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Got two klipsch speakers from a yard sale for $20

post #30 of 42 Old 02-15-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page