Can I use my garage stereo in my home theater? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-26-2013, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a spot in my basement for my home theater. It is 30 ft X 30 ft. With 9'6" ceilings. I have a garage stereo set up that I don't use much and would like to find out if I could use the components I have and purchase additional equipment to make it work in my home theater. Here is what I currently have:

Speakers:
(2) peavey sp2
(2) peavey sp218

Amps:
(2) cs 4000
(1) pv 2600
(1) pv 3800

I have each of the cs4000 bridged into the sp 218, the pv 2600 running the horns in the sp2, pv 3800 running the 15 inch mids in the sp2.

Could I purchase 2 more sp2 or equivalents and get my surround sound? How do I mix signals for home theater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
If you're going to use independent amps, you'll need to use a standalone surround sound processor (versus an AVR).
post #3 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Not to start a debate on quality, but there are plenty of modern receivers available with pre outs for each surround channel. If you don't need the latest greatest THX, 3D, deep color, Dolby/DTS decoder of the minute solution, you should be able to find a decent receiver with pre outs for under $300 in the used market. You are going to be jumping from unbalanced consumer outputs to balanced inputs on your Peaveys, but that isn't insurmountable. You can either adapt your RCA to XLR wiring or purchase an unbalanced to balanced audio adapter, which will give you the ability to adjust gain optimally.
For a 5.1 system you are going to need at least one more sp2 for a center channel to match your two fronts. For rears, if you have the resources, space, and spousal tolerance for two more rear channel sp2's, more power to ya. Otherwise, start hunting around for a pair of smaller stage monitors with similar horns to your sp2s. Maybe a coupe of sp15ms bolted to the walls, or go searching for the good ole JBL 8320.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #4 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
1) unbalanced output to balanced inputs? My amps have a combination xlr/1/4 inputs. Supposedly accepting balanced or unbalanced 1/4 input. Would that be acceptable? One less break in the line maybe?
2) center channel sp2? Being new to home theater I was hoping to utilize my wall which is 9'6" and approximately 30 feet wide. With a projector spaced to utilize the full height of the wall where would u put a center speaker? What do u guys do for center channel and not block your screen? Maybe some fancy low profile center speaker in the ceiling? Maybe one in ceiling and one on floor?

3) since I already have the power and most of the speakers obtaining 2 more sp2 for the rears is not a problem. Space is good being the room is 30x30. Here is the part I need help on also is for example if I use my pv2600 to drive both front and rear horns how do I do that when there r only two outputs channel a and b when there r actually 4 different speakers getting different signals in surround sound? Same goes for the mids with my pv3800. Do I need more amps to isolate signals(hope not already well over 10000 watts). As for the center channel where do I grab power for it? I suppose it has its own dedicated output I could get a separate small amp dedicated to it. Especially if we could go with dual centers. I think the bass should be a no brainer since the cs4000 r just bridged into each 218. They just need an input correct?

4) as for this whole idea what kind of sound quality am I going to get? I am sure volume and holy **** factor is not going to be an issue but I worry about sound quality and when movies r in there quiet or silent moments am I going to have buzzing noise in the back ground?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyspuds View Post

1) unbalanced output to balanced inputs? My amps have a combination xlr/1/4 inputs. Supposedly accepting balanced or unbalanced 1/4 input. Would that be acceptable? absolutely, if your amp will take an unbalanced input directly, all the easier since I am guessing the length will be neglibileOne less break in the line maybe?
2) center channel sp2? Hate to tell you, but your center channel speaker may be the most important one......most of your dialog will emanate from that channel Being new to home theater I was hoping to utilize my wall which is 9'6" and approximately 30 feet wide. With a projector spaced to utilize the full height of the wall where would u put a center speaker? What do u guys do for center channel and not block your screen? Search the forum for "acoustically transparent screen" long story short, you do what theaters do, put the speakers behind the screen. Maybe some fancy low profile center speaker in the ceiling? There are specialized in ceiling speakers with slanted baffles to aim the speaker at more of an angle, not straight down. Maybe one in ceiling and one on floor? No, don't even think about multiple center channel speakers. I think the floor will be your answer, but I would be looking for something with the same efficiency as your fronts.

3) since I already have the power and most of the speakers obtaining 2 more sp2 for the rears is not a problem. Space is good being the room is 30x30. Here is the part I need help on also is for example if I use my pv2600 to drive both front and rear horns how do I do that when there r only two outputs channel a and b when there r actually 4 different speakers getting different signals in surround sound? what are you using for crossovers? are they built into the amp (active) or does each driver in the speaker have an dedicated input with passive crossover inside? Is there anyway the speakers can be used without being biamped? Same goes for the mids with my pv3800. Do I need more amps to isolate signals(hope not already well over 10000 watts). Hope you have an electrician handy to add a few circuits....each channel of the theater system will need at least one amp, three front channels and two rear = at least 5 channels of amp, plus one for Low Frequency Effects. Double your 5 channels to 10 if you biamp everything not including how much you put into your subsAs for the center channel where do I grab power for it? I suppose it has its own dedicated output I could get a separate small amp dedicated to it. see previous statements about the importance of center channel, you want the same power to the center channel speaker as your two fronts Especially if we could go with dual centers.NO, don't take my word for it, search the dedicated theater forum I think the bass should be a no brainer since the cs4000 r just bridged into each 218. They just need an input correct? That is correct. Let the surround processor act as the crossover for your sub, set any other crossover settings after the surround processor as high as possible.

4) as for this whole idea what kind of sound quality am I going to get? I am sure volume and holy **** factor is not going to be an issue damn skippy but I worry about sound quality and when movies r in there quiet or silent moments am I going to have buzzing noise in the back ground? do you have a lot of background noise from the amps with the current speakers now? With the horse power you have, you may be well served to dial back the gains on the amps a bit. the noise floor coming off your surround processor should be virtually non existent up to a full 0 dBoutput, which will probably be making you look like the guy in the old Maxell tape ad

underachiever extraordinaire
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page