Showroom build. Need advice from the consumer / diyer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello

I have an opportunity take an existing building I lease and turn it into an Audio Video showroom, there are no dealers within a 30 minute drive and the location is 5-1- minutes from several great communities.

Our plan to is to cater to the DIY audience along with retail of various brands. My question to the consumer is what you would like to see and more importantly what do you dislike?

The planned layout as of now will be an open floor plan with one dedicated theater. When I say dedicated I am planning on a real demo room correctly built using the equipment we sale. Not some make shift; put in what we have room.

We also plan to have fabric, sound proofing items and even carpet along with some tools, cables and connectors for the DIY.

I hope I have the correct area on AVS as I did not see a general discussion. Any comments good and bad are appreciated.

Currently I have been doing some consulting in the Audio Video industry and previous that was part owner of both a retail and custom showroom.

Thank you

Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I certainly don't want to discourage pros from posting here, but it's to your advantage to hear from other pros, as well as the customers.

Post at the remotecentral.com custom installer's lounge forum. The insight provided, I hope, will be priceless.

Do your best to cater to high end clientele, if you want to succeed. Choose protected lines, when you can. Don't try to compete with lines available at Amazon and Tigerdirect. You will win with service. Don't be a showroom for online shoppers.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4u2 View Post

Hello

I have an opportunity take an existing building I lease and turn it into an Audio Video showroom, there are no dealers within a 30 minute drive and the location is 5-1- minutes from several great communities.

Our plan to is to cater to the DIY audience along with retail of various brands. My question to the consumer is what you would like to see and more importantly what do you dislike?

The planned layout as of now will be an open floor plan with one dedicated theater. When I say dedicated I am planning on a real demo room correctly built using the equipment we sale. Not some make shift; put in what we have room.

We also plan to have fabric, sound proofing items and even carpet along with some tools, cables and connectors for the DIY.

I hope I have the correct area on AVS as I did not see a general discussion. Any comments good and bad are appreciated.

Currently I have been doing some consulting in the Audio Video industry and previous that was part owner of both a retail and custom showroom.

Thank you

Tyler

Hello and welcome to AVS.

I echo Neurorads statements. You will fail if you cater to the box store/Amazon crowd. I love the idea of a "one stop DIY theater shop" would have loved to have something like that in the area to go to for instruction/reference.

I can tell you what I dislike. Supposed theater rooms that are actually cobbled together pieces of this and that with a PJ and a screen and some speakers and people think that they have a theater. Or a big flat screen TV and a Bose system and call it a theater. I would actually put together three or four levels of price/performance so that you can appeal to guys that are tighter than seals you know whats, and those that have a much larger budget (your cash cow customer).

If you are catering mostly to the DIY crowd, weekend hands on "how to" clinics on wiring, electrical, sound proofing, calibration, setup. basic construction and the like. Would be very informative and helpful.

On the sound insulated/isolated room. I would do one room all out with all the soundproofing/acoustic treatment applications. I would then do a regular room with just standard construction and no room treatments. I personally did not know what a HUGE difference all of that "voodoo" made to the room and how important all of it is.

Be knowledgeable and informative, but not pushy and try to upsell or oversell the customer. I would also stock a wide variety of affordable (not Monster) cables. I am amazed at how thankful my friends are when I introduce them to monoprice where they don't have to pay 80 bucks for an HDMI cable. If I could get that locally (monoprice) I would gladly pay a couple of extra bucks for the convenience of not having to wait 4-5 days for my order to arrive.

Good luck, I am curious to see how this goes for you.

Regards,

RTROSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Here are a few relevant posts, discussing showrooms. This is one post, you'll need to dig to find the rest of the showroom discussion.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/forums/viewpost.cgi?1172567

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 7 Old 01-30-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you for the input guys. I certainly was going to stay away from products being sold on Amazon, etc.

Weekend classes are a great ida!

Thank you

Tyler
post #6 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In addditon to the above posts offering classes on DIY building for speakers, subs, and different acoustical treatments.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please tell me you're in central FL....I'd kill for this kind of thing. If not, I may have a new venture smile.gif

Anyway, what I'd love to see is a "home depot" of home theater. Broad ranges of products for DIY, but also professional services, and workshops being offered. When you set up your theater room, if at all possible have a cutout made of the build process you took, so like a half wall cutaway showing the framing, decoupling devices, insulation, drywall layers with green glue, etc. So you can see what was done, then hear the effects in the built room (love the idea of having a room not treated next to it for comparison as well).

Above most everything else, have knowledgeable staff, can't tell you how disappointed I am when I ask questions at nearly every box store
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page