I'm a complete Newbie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
newbie to this hobby...and I'm not made of money. I do a lot of trading and traded a painting for 4 of these today (I'm an artist). Bad news is the crossover inside 2 of them had the same blown capacitor. Either way I cant find ANY info at all on these things and wondered if the ONE site I did find had the correct specs on them. Not sure what amp or receiver to get?

Here is what i have...and the ONLY site I found them on
http://www.vendio.com/stores/wjtkacz/item/home-audio-speakers-subwoofers/total-audio-ta-sr4-movie-surro/lid=21429560

Right now I have a "in one box system (dav hdx275) and looking to slowly upgrade everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I feel for you, but frankly, there isn't much to go on here. Can you read any markings on the capacitors? Your overall best bet is to solder in replacements and try them. There was a large number of bad electrolytic capacitors reported about 6 years ago that affected a lot of the indistry.

If you can't read the values from the bad capacitors, try taking apart one of the good ones and getting the values from there.

As for amplifier recommendations, it is really difficult to do anything without a spec sheet. We would have no idea on the sensitivity and responsiveness of these speakers. I guess I would start with an amplifier of at least 100W/ channel. That should drive anything reasoable, and you likely don't need to be producing sound levels needed in large theater spaces.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah i already got the info off the other capacitor in one of the good ones. I dug and dug for these online trying to get specs. If the info is correct on the one site i did i guess they are 8ohms. I have a basic knowledge of electronics took in 2 year vocational course in the 90s

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it. Guess im hoping someone can at least tell me who manufactures them
post #4 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by justintiv View Post

Yeah i already got the info off the other capacitor in one of the good ones. I dug and dug for these online trying to get specs. If the info is correct on the one site i did i guess they are 8ohms. I have a basic knowledge of electronics took in 2 year vocational course in the 90s

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it. Guess im hoping someone can at least tell me who manufactures them

Can't help you there, but I did take another look at the specs on that sheet. 8 ohm impedance and a responsiveness of 92dB (assuming 1W @ 1 meter). This means that any reasoanable HT amp should drive them. They are in the ballpark of most HT speakers.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Cool thanks. I was just worried this info might be correct. Also there is a on/off toggle awitch on the back. Im assuming this is to bypass the crossover?? Thanks again
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page