My Modest, Complete-ish Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-29-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is my modest, mostly complete, home theater build. I think I'm finally at a point that I'm satisfied with it, given the constraints of the room situation.
My wife is in the Army and we recently moved into a new rental house (mostly because we're only going to be here for the next two years). The owners were nice enough to let us paint and do what we like to the house, but major renovation/investment just wasn't worth the investment considering the time we'll be here.

Anyway, on to the "theater": The basement had a room that the owners had used as a TV room with a sectional and a desk and such. I've always wanted a home theater, so I decided to make one.

The first problem I ran into was lighting control. The house is a bi-level and the stairs going to the basement are right at the front door with huge windows (that catch all the evening sun). No door at the bottom of the stairs, so I put up retractable curtain track at the bottom (like what you'd find in a hospital room to separate patients). Also put up curtain rods and matching ceiling to floor curtains to cover a window and a door to the back patio.

View from the top of the stairs:

From the bottom of the stairs:

Small panorama:

The screen and front speakers:

Some decorations:

The snack area (popcorn machine, drinks, snacks, etc)

I found some lamps at Target that I could put stuff in. Air popped some popcorn and filled them up.

The couch and projector (with some Buttckicker LFEs bolted to the couch frame)

Here are the retractable curtains for light control

and the remote that controls everything:

You can't really see it in the pictures, but I'm still waiting on the remaining black tiles to finish the ceiling. They should be here this week.
My wife and son love watching movies down here!

Equipment:
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Elite Screens 110" Sable
Speakers: Pioner Andrew Jones (7.1)
Receiver: Onkyo NR616
Remote: Harmony One
Other:
- PS3
- Mac Mini running iTunes, EyeTV, and Plex with 6TB storage and 6TB backup
- Buttkicker LFEs w/ Buttkicker amp
- remote controlled lighting for the popcorn lamps
- LED wall sconces
- popcorn machine
- mini-fridge
- constantly stocked refreshments wink.gif

Seating from the screen is about 12 foot.

If I had it to do over again with the same room, the only thing I can think of to change would be the seating. I'd probably go for recliners, if just to have cup holders in the arm rests instead of only on the end tables.

Any suggestions on things to change or something else that would go well in this room is greatly appreciated.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
The 8350 is a great projector for it's price. You basically have everything covered outside of a dedicated room. You have a dark ceiling and dark front wall. I prefer recliners....

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #3 of 21 Old 01-30-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Looks good. I especially like the popcorn filled lamp. Clever cool.gif
post #4 of 21 Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 PM

Liked: 12
Very nice! I wish I had a tenant that that would make one of my apartments look that amazing!

Beer is the answer! What is the question?
post #5 of 21 Old 01-30-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
It's all very well done, nice job!

I like the seectional myself.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 06:42 AM

Love your room! I am interested in your products print that lists manufacturers, etc. Is that a DIY or did you order it?

Thanks!

GB

My Media Room (Basement)
post #7 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Is that a OmniMount ECSB Component Shelf that you are using for your projector? I am in the process of putting together a media room and am considering this shelf as well (hell, it's on Amazon for $33 - can't beat that). I have not decided on a PJ at this point but the size of this shelf seems like it can accommodate most on the market today (or at least the ones I am considering). Just out of curiosity, what is the height measurement from the very BOTTOM of the black piece (that mounts to the wall) to the center of your PJ lense? Also, are you able to lower or raise the glass shelf at all or is it permanently set in the middle of the mounting piece?

Any input you can give would be greatly appreciated!

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

904WMC Media Room Build Thread
post #8 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 PM

Oh, and you've got great taste in screens. My 100" Elite fixed-mount (Sable) arrived a couple of days ago. wink.gif

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

post #9 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
This looks like a cozy theater! Good job! How you liking the pioneers? I always good things about em

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #10 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

The product manufacturers list is something that I had Walmart print up and I slapped it in a frame. The shelf is the OmniMount. It works perfectly for the Epson. I'll get some measurements on it tomorrow, but I can tell you that the arm is in a fixed vertical position. It doesn't raise or lower. It does however turn from side to side a bit. You tighten it down when you get it in the position you want.

I originally bought a 100" elite screens sable, but decided with a little modifications (taking the legs off the tv/component cabinet) I could fit a 110" screen in there.

The pioneers sound great for the price! I'm not a huge audiophile, but they sound great to me, and I get compliments on the sound whenever someone watches a movie.

Thanks guys.
post #11 of 21 Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 AM

Very nice room! If you pulled the couch away from the back wall a foot or two, you'll be closer to the sweet spot for sound. Also consider a couple absorption panels on the side walls at the first reflection point. It will reduce the echo effect and help clean up dialogue. Visually you are there, but your system will sound even better with a few inexpensive changes. Hope this helps!

Doug
Terra Ceia, FL

post #12 of 21 Old 02-01-2013, 07:30 PM

Thanks so much for the input. I read on some other threads that the front of the glass shelf is 21 inches off the wall. That really surprises me. I'll stand by and wait to hear back from you on the measurement from the bottom of the black mount piece to the center of your PJ lens. I really appreciate you taking the time.

post #13 of 21 Old 02-02-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Very nice. Well done, looks like you have a very nice space to enjoy. The curtains on tracks is a nice and simple way to solve the lighting issues. I have the same Epson and I love it. It is a great bang for the buck PJ.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-02-2013, 06:58 PM

^^^^ What RTROSE said...Thanks for sharing.

Robin Major

I never know what to put here.<---- Soon to be build thread.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-02-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you like those Pioneers?

post #16 of 21 Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM

Are LED Scones battery operated? Where did you find them?
post #17 of 21 Old 02-05-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

The sconces are battery operated and came from Amazon.com. Just search for battery sconce.
I had found some other ones online (same company) that were remote controlled, but my Harmony remote set them off with every button press. Had to send those back.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-23-2013, 04:29 PM

How do you like the butt kickers? How did you wire them for your couch? I want to install some because I don't really like booming booming bass, bad hearing already. Did you install them with a Y off your AVR sub out? Did you install the butt kickers to the wooden couch frame? Are they really worth the money and install time?
post #19 of 21 Old 02-23-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

The butt kickers are great and I highly recommend them. The amp running them is fed by a Y splitter from my AVR sub out. To install them I bolted it to a wood stud that I then bolted to the frame of the couch on the underside. It really does add a whole new level to movie watching, especially when pair with a big screen. While everyone who comes over is impressed with the setup, it's always the butt kickers that get the most reaction. People are used to big screens, they aren't used to that level of tactile involvement in movie watching. My son had some friends over for a movie night, and after experiencing them he proclaimed "this is better than the theater!".
post #20 of 21 Old 02-23-2013, 08:20 PM

Thank you so much for the response. Do you one run one per couch section or one per couch cushion?
post #21 of 21 Old 02-23-2013, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That room looks fantastic, and gives me hope as I look at houses that all seem to be missing an ideal space. What are the room's dimensions?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page