eBay Royal Racks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I'm not sure where exactly to put this question so if it's in the wrong place i apologize. I'm looking to get a basic AV rack and have stumbled across Royal Racks on eBay. I found a 21U unit that is only $195 found here

I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with these racks and their build quality? They look to be standard 19" rack units but how do they compare in build quality to something inexpensive like the sanus av racks?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Not to mess your thread up, but I'm also interested in a cheaper rack solutoin than Middle atlantic. First of all, I really get kind of confused with middle atlantic. I don't know what model to purchase.

I looked at AVRack (or AVRak?), but it's also kind of expensive.

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #3 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

or of course if you have any other budget racks that you know of i'd love to hear about them!
post #4 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

Not to mess your thread up, but I'm also interested in a cheaper rack solutoin than Middle atlantic. First of all, I really get kind of confused with middle atlantic. I don't know what model to purchase.

I looked at AVRack (or AVRak?), but it's also kind of expensive.

Yea, the middle atlantic racks look nice and are endlessly customizable but I can't really afford the crazy high prices they require. I can't do a recess rack because I don't own my home yet so a cheap stand-alone is best for now.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I bought a Sanus CFR144 scratch & dent model from Crutchfield for a lot less than the equivalent Middle Atlantic. Great quality construction and the rack comes with quite a few 1U, 2U and 3U shelves as well as blank plates and hardware.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I got a great deal on a 30U Peerless AVL rack by searching Google shopping (B&H has it for <$500 shipped)... Nice freestanding unit, no side / rear panels, though (I didn't need them for my application). Nice thing is that it comes with all the shelves.

http://www.peerless-av.com/en-us/professional/products/AVL

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #7 of 13 Old 01-30-2013, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Check eBay, Craigslist, and SearchTempest. Search terms for AV racks may include audio rack, 19" rack, rack enclosure, AV enclosure, and various manufacturer names.

For a new cheap/affordable Chinese rack, look at Sanus, Peerless, Royal Racks, SnapAV, Omnimount.

Preconfigured racks may include many accessories such as casters, sides, shelves, fans, top, blanks, door(s).

I like the new Middle Atlantic preconfigured RCS rack; got a quote on it last week. Shipping can be costly on pre-configured and other welded racks. MA Slim5 and other similar skeleton or open-frame racks usually ship flat. Laminate racks also ship flat.
elmalloc likes this.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 13 Old 01-30-2013, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

That eBay Royal Racks listing you linked says it comes with "3 gray non-marring wheels", but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to say 3". Ships relatively flat; caster base comes assembled.

Don't forget the accessories add up quickly. Figure out what additional parts you'd need before buying.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #9 of 13 Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

That eBay Royal Racks listing you linked says it comes with "3 gray non-marring wheels", but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to say 3". Ships relatively flat; caster base comes assembled.

Don't forget the accessories add up quickly. Figure out what additional parts you'd need before buying.

most of my equipment has standard rack ears and I already have a panamax surge and some 120mm case fans that I can use for cooling with the included 120mm punchouts in the royal racks so it would still be significantly less than a comparable sanus. I can't find any write ups on the racks from pro sources or even user reviews so I'm just a little weary and trying to understand their build quality.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you need front or rear doors, for that Royal Rack? Do you know where to get them, in that size?

I don't know how universal rack trim strips are, whether you need a MA rack to use them or not. Jeff knows, maybe he can share his knowledge.

Skywalker Communications carries Royal Racks. Call them for a quote.

Does that 21U Royal Rack come with threaded rear rack rails? That is, can you mount components, add-ons, and lacer bars to the rear vertical posts? Not mentioned in the description.

Fixed sides make loading and trimming the rack a little more difficult; removable sides cost more but make life easier.

post #11 of 13 Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Lots of rack discussions on Remotecentral.com

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?keywords=29964&

post #12 of 13 Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

some 120mm case fans that I can use for cooling with the included 120mm punchouts in the royal racks so it would still be significantly less than a comparable sanus.

Fan installed into the punch outs aren't going any good unless you add a rear door, and fully populate the rack (with blanks to fill the gaps).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I don't know how universal rack trim strips are, whether you need a MA rack to use them or not. Jeff knows, maybe he can share his knowledge.

They just cover the screws along the 19" rails, so I'd expect they'd fit on any rack. Whether it's worth the expense, though, probably depends on the rest of the rack aesthetics...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #13 of 13 Old 07-06-2013, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just ordered the 21U Royal Rack, I'll let you know how it is
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page