Using a curtain as a wall for a home theatre room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-01-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have a large L-shaped multi-purpose/games room downstairs and have been toying with the idea of jerry-rigging some sort of theatre room. I'm thinking about using a curtain to make a 12'x15.5' area with a 106" projector screen (or thereabouts). I don't know how the sound will be with the curtain though as it will have to be 15' probably in 2 or more sections and possibly custom made because of the length. I have a 60" plasma with surround sound upstairs but have really taken a liking to projectors recently and have found a brand new optoma HD20 for $700 including shipping. The room will require some basic renovation and will be budget-minded, but I don't really want to do it if the sound will be sub-par.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-01-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The curtain will help keep light out, but will do nothing to contain the sound inside the room. Would the curtain be in place of a side wall or the rear wall? Where would the speakers go?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 52
It would be a side wall. The speakers would go in the corners of the room with the exception of the center channel of course.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-05-2013, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking to do the exact same thing. I'm doing an open media room with no dedicated theater, but a theater section. I also need a curtain with tracks for the open left side of 12.5ft. The curtain will turn that section into a 12.5ft x 10ft totally dark section for watching movies as its in the basement, and I'm doing all the walls dark gray with a slate ceiling, black velvet screen wall. Let me know if you come up with something. I've been searching online at all the curtain sites and haven't found anything that big yet.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-05-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I have not used this sit yet but it worth spending some time looking and maybe a phone call
http://www.showrags.com/ They go all kinds of sizes..
post #6 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have posted elsewhere on this, but my HT uses a side curtain to separate it from the other half of the room. I used the Eclipse line of light and sound blocking curtains. Bought mine at BedBath&Beyond during a closeout sale.

Others have remarked that the back of the curtains they find is black, but mine are dark red on both sides with the light blocking layer between. I will agree that they do not totally block sound, but at least in my case they do a reasonable job of attenuating. We are able to run the theater on one side and an XBOX on the other at the same time and not bother each other.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I like the thought of a curtain to divide my room. I'm not under the impression it'll provide sound isolation, but I think it'd make it 'feel' better.

I'm curious about how it'd look in the retracted position. Does it just look like a curtain wadded up against the wall? Don't know if I'd like that .. .
post #8 of 8 Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

I like the thought of a curtain to divide my room. I'm not under the impression it'll provide sound isolation, but I think it'd make it 'feel' better.

I'm curious about how it'd look in the retracted position. Does it just look like a curtain wadded up against the wall? Don't know if I'd like that .. .

Pretty much, but there are a few things you can do.

I use braided tie backs on the two ends, and let the top come into the room a bit. That gives a more pleasing appearance. The tie backs attach to wall brackets. There are also commercial tie back hooks available from curtain shops that could be used.

My curtain runs 21 ft along the side of the room. I also have a metal post in the center of the run. I split the curtain into 4 sections and tie back the center 2 as a group around that post.

My eventuial plan is to build a column to hide the post. I am thinking about building it fairly wide and providing a gap around the curtain rod. That way, I can hide some or all of the curtain within the column when it is retracted.

One other thing I did was sew a contrasting strip of fabric at the two places where the openings are. That way, people can easily find the exits and are not fumble with the curtains.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms