surround speaker placement: high or low? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am building a house and have the opportunity to pre-wire the room. While designing the room today I didn't realize the back part of the side wall will be open with the railing/staircase that leads to the basement recreation room. This open space near the back of the room has thrown me for a loop with speaker placement and where I should have the wire come out. Today I originally told them to run the wire to the ceiling and that I would somehow figure out how to mount my PSB Image B6 bookshelf speakers to the ceiling. They are fairly big bookshelf speakers so this make me a little nervous. Also, mounting the speaker to the wall near the open entrance will make the speaker an obstacle when entering the room. I am 6'5" and may hit my head on them. After doing more research here and on the Dolby site it sounds like the preferred placement might actually be on stands? If that is the case I could run the cable along the floor and come out about 12 inches off the floor. Which is a better setup for a 5.1 system? Running the wire through the ceiling so it comes out of the ceiling to speakers mounted to the ceiling or running the wire near the floor and have it come out of the wall about 12 inches from the floor to bookshelf speakers on speaker stands?

Thanks for your input!!!!

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-06-2013, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hate to beg but I am building this in the morning and really need some input!!!

Cheers!

T
post #3 of 3 Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The last time I checked Dolby's website, it suggested surround speakers 1-2 feet above your head(when seated) and slightly behind your head.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page