1 surround speaker too close, the other too far...solutions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As part of a compromise with my wife, I shifting my theater to the side of our bonus room. I have a Onkyo 809 with 7.1. The room is roughly 20x20 square with a vaulted ceiling (8' wall followed by a 45 degree slope up to 10') . The issue is by shifting it to the side, one arm of the sofa will be against the side wall and the other side will be 13' away from the other side. The sofa sits about mid way front to back, ~10' from 84" screen. How do I place my surround (side) speakers?

I have 3 NHT VS-2.4 for fronts and 4 super zeros for surround and rear. Here are the options I have identified:
1- using only current speakers, place the wall side speaker about 1 foot behind sofa and 2 foot above fire it straight up so the vault slope disperses the sound. Place the other side on the far wall firing directly at sofa...distance is enough dispersion.

2-similiar to above but use a dipole on the close wall side only and the same direct firing speaker opposite. I can get a matching NHT dipole used. I think the dipole would be too far away on the other side to use a pr of them.

3-ceiling mounted surrounds...brand? placement? Problem is one side has vault slope to deal with, so close wall side will be more behind you and overlap the coverage of rear speakers mounted on back wall. Plus 10' seems too high. If they have directional control I could aim the close side at the side wall to disperse it. Speaker may be NHT but not of the same era so sound matching will be off.

4-drop 7.1 and go 5.1, make the rear wall speakers the surround speakers and drop true rears. Could add heights if I really wanted to.

Whats best or other options?

I don't think I want to hang the far side on a post from the ceiling, the room has a fan and projector hanging so that is enough. From an installation perspective I'd love to use the ceiling option, since running speaker wire in the close side wall will be difficult (not impossible), but I understand the placement is wrong. I'm really looking for options or a ceiling speaker design that will make option 3 work.

Keep in mind that my current surrounds/rears were in the $100-150 ea ballpark, so pairing them with $700 ea in wall speakers isn't going to happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-08-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found these speakers for ~$350 pr, polk audio 80f/x-rt that are kind of the idea I had in mind. The drivers are tilted in the frame to be aimed from the ceiling. They are designed as surround speakers.

Anybody don't anything like this?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms