New Home Theater questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-09-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I lost all my entertainment equipment in Hurricane Sandy. I have to buy the following:

• Flat screen tv
• DVD player
• Apple computer
• Possible Apple Ipad
• Printer
• Cable tv, internet service (modem), possible phone line service

I already have the following:

• (2) Western Digital NAS drives where all my photos, home movies, Itunes music, and documents are stored
• WII U game system
• Netflix account for DVDs and streaming

I would like to set all this equipment up with the following features:

1. Ability to computer access internet, photos, home movies, Itunes music, and documents wirelessly on two flat screen tvs located in different rooms with one central remote (Iphone or Ipad using apps?)

2. Ability to watch DVDs and Netfix streamed movies on two flat screen tvs located in different rooms with one central remote (Iphone or Ipad using apps?)

3. Ability to access all my computer files from any other computer

4. Ability to access cable tv on two flat screen tvs located in different rooms with one central remote (Iphone or Ipad using apps?)

5. Ability to wirelessly access Itunes music files anywhere inside and outside the house (bluetooth?) with one central remote (Iphone or Ipad using apps?)

6. Ability to use one WII U gaming system on two different tvs, each located in two different rooms if possible

I know I am asking a lot of the equipment.

I would like to use all Apple computer products and Samsung TV/DVD player products where possible.

Can someone suggest what equipment/features I may need to make all this come together as wirelessly as possible using one common remote (Iphone, Ipad, Logitech, etc.)?

Thank you
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 67
You may want to do some research on PLEX and see if that suits your needs

http://www.plexapp.com/
http://plexforsamsung.pbworks.com/w/page/40757181/Home

As I understand it you could set up PLEX on a Mac Mini and use your NAS drives for the storage. Maybe someone else here knows differently and can enlighten us both.

For iTunes stuff I would use Apple TV.

I wouldn't rely on wireless for streaming video, you're going to be disappointed with the reliability.

When you say you want to access computer files from any computer, do you mean any computer in the world? or in your house? File sharing on a home network is easy to set up.

As far as using one source for two rooms with one remote...you could look into an AVR with dual HDMI outputs like the Yamaha RX-A1010 ($1000) but honestly, I would just buy a separate Samsung blu-ray and universal remote for each location and call it a day.

Do you really need to play Wii U in both rooms?

There are a lot of choices for using an iPhone/iPad as a remote, Roomie Remote, and iRule are a couple of popular ones. I don't use them myself because I like the feel of a normal remote that I can easily find buttons by feel instead of searching through endless pages of touch buttons.

Good luck biggrin.gif

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page