Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Been a member for a long time.
Was mainly in the HTPC forum most of the time.
Now that I am relocating to MN. I will have my own place.
I am trying to build my first home theater with speakers instead of sound bar.

I would first like to apologize if I'm new and have lot's of dumb questions.

List of equipment I will get:
Speakers - Klipsch RF-82 II package with aditional sub and two surround speaker
Receiver - Denon AVP-A1HDCI (If you prefer something else please let me know.)
Projector - Sony VPL-HW50ES (If you prefer something else please let me know.)
Blu-ray Player - Oppo BDP-105 (If you prefer something else please let me know.)

Need help with: If anyone can suggest these that would be great!
Projector Screen
Amps
S-VHS player
Power conditioner
Surge protector
Speaker cables
HDMI cables
Wires

My ideal speaker build is the Klipsch RF-82 II home theater system. If you have other suggestions such as better speakers please let me know.
1. Since it only comes with 2 surround speakers, can I add two more surround speakers on the sides to complete a 7.1?
2. Will I benefit anything by adding another SW-115 sub? Where should I place this second sub if I do decide to get it? One in the front while other in the rear? Front and side? Both front? Both rear? What has worked best with your experiences?

What are some good amps for my setup?
Should I have a multi channel amp to run the speakers? While two mono amps to run the subs?
Or just one multi channel amp to run speakers and sub?

Now I am new to this whole speaker wire stuff... I want the best cables for my equipment so if anyone can suggest that would be great.
I know that Monster makes great HDMI cables but are there any out there that is better?
What are you using to connect your speakers to your amps? What are you using to connect your subs to your amps?
What are you using to connect your amps to your receivers?
Since I will be moving into a home how would you recommend me to hide the wires?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoulu View Post

My ideal speaker build is the Klipsch RF-82 II home theater system. If you have other suggestions such as better speakers please let me know.
1. Since it only comes with 2 surround speakers, can I add two more surround speakers on the sides to complete a 7.1?

If you can get matching speakers for those channels, yes. If not identical, look at similar models from Klipsch...
Quote:
2. Will I benefit anything by adding another SW-115 sub? Where should I place this second sub if I do decide to get it? One in the front while other in the rear? Front and side? Both front? Both rear? What has worked best with your experiences?

Yes, although you may wait to see how the system performs before you add another one. A second sub will help smooth out the bass response as you don't have to push as much volume out of a single location. Both should probably be in the same end of the room, but there's a lot of experimenting you can to see what works best for your room.
Quote:
What are some good amps for my setup?
Should I have a multi channel amp to run the speakers? While two mono amps to run the subs?
Or just one multi channel amp to run speakers and sub?

Many subwoofers are self-powered these days, and multi-channel amps can work very well. Look at the Emotiva and Outlaw products for excellent values on amps.
Quote:
Now I am new to this whole speaker wire stuff... I want the best cables for my equipment so if anyone can suggest that would be great.
I know that Monster makes great HDMI cables but are there any out there that is better?

No, they make well-made, but very expensive cables. From a performance standpoint, they won't make a bit of difference compared to uber-cheap cables as long as they meet the specs.

Use Monoprice instead. Save a bundle.
Quote:
What are you using to connect your speakers to your amps? What are you using to connect your subs to your amps?
What are you using to connect your amps to your receivers?
Since I will be moving into a home how would you recommend me to hide the wires?

Monoprice wires everywhere except for a 35' long HDMI cable (Blue Jeans), but would probably just use a Monoprice Redmere cable if I started today.

Lots of ways to hide wires depending on what access you have in the basement/attic around the room. Other possibilities are to run them behind baseboards or crown moldings. Use in-wall rated cables (CL2 / CL3) for that sort of work.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for your response

another questions

what would you do?

front left, front right, center, rear right, rear left into a 5 channel amp
while
side right and side rear into another amp

or

right and side rear into another amp, center, rear right, rear left into a 5 channel amp
while
front left, front right into another amp

or would you do

right and side rear into another amp, center, rear right, rear left into a 5 channel amp
while
front right and front left into each's mono amp?

thanks again!
post #4 of 6 Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Depends more on the speakers and what amp(s) we're talking about. Put your money into the L/C/R channels first, the side/rear channels aren't nearly as critical in general.

An interesting way to go is to use an AV Receiver with pre-amp outputs, and add a 3-channel amp to run the fronts, but just let the AVR handle the side/rears:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa3

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 6 Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

thanks jautor!

i think i will just get l/c/r for now and if needed I will get more if needed.
I notice a lot of members are going with JVC projectors
How are you liking your projector?
Would you recommend your projector?

Thanks!
post #6 of 6 Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoulu View Post

thanks jautor!

i think i will just get l/c/r for now and if needed I will get more if needed.

It's a good way to start - if you get an AVR with pre-amp outputs, you can always add an amplifier later...
Quote:
I notice a lot of members are going with JVC projectors
How are you liking your projector?
Would you recommend your projector?

They're very good, and certainly the newer models are even better. I would also consider the high-end Epson projectors, which get close to the performance for less money...

Jeff

Theater build photos:

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page