Home Theater and Security - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question on Home Theater and Security. I am planning over the next 12 to 14 months to build a home theater in my living room. I do not have a dedicated room for a home theater so this will be in the main living space for our house. I plan on spending around 14k on the home theater and was curious what others have done (or not done) to protect the investment. My main concern would be that I will end up having around a 70” or so monitor that will just be setting on an entertainment stand. That alone could easily run 5K or more. I know to add it to my homeowners insurance and we have a monitored alarm for the house. Do you guys recommend anything else? I was thinking along the lines of possibly a cable lock connected to the TV and the entertainment stand or somehow bolted to the wall. Working in IT and with laptops I know how easily they can be defeated, broke off, cut, etc. Is this overthinking about it or worrying about something that has a low probability of happening? What are your thoughts?

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-15-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Insure the items for enough that you hope they get stolen.

David
post #3 of 4 Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 53
big scary looking dog + alarm company yard sign works for me.

or move if you're in a rough area.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-15-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsampl4 View Post

I plan on spending around 14k on the home theater and was curious what others have done (or not done) to protect the investment. My main concern would be that I will end up having around a 70” or so monitor that will just be setting on an entertainment stand. That alone could easily run 5K or more. I know to add it to my homeowners insurance and we have a monitored alarm for the house. Do you guys recommend anything else? I was thinking along the lines of possibly a cable lock connected to the TV and the entertainment stand or somehow bolted to the wall. Working in IT and with laptops I know how easily they can be defeated, broke off, cut, etc. Is this overthinking about it or worrying about something that has a low probability of happening? What are your thoughts?

If someone has made it past your monitored alarm to get into the house, and is going to attempt to steal electronics including a 70" display, instead of grabbing small items and running, there's nothing you can do to stop them at that point. So my advice is - don't do anything that will create more loss for yourself. Which means, don't bolt it to furniture or the wall - they're just going to rip or break more stuff to get it out. Remember that these are criminals - messing up your walls or breaking furniture to get a TV loose isn't going to concern them.

I give the same advice on outdoor speakers and TV's. The last thing you want is for the thief to cause hundreds or thousands in damages to the walls and structure to rip down a $400 TV.

There was a thread recently where someone was asking about using a reinforced security door on his basement theater. We replied that if we were thieves and either saw a door with a biolock or knew it was a theater - and was already in the house and had time - we'd just go through the wall next to it... Again, just causes more damage...

You're probably overthinking the risk - thieves need to get in and out, generally are on foot, and are alone. Jewelry, iPods, wallets, passports - easy to carry and sell. Getting even a 50" TV out of the house successfully takes planning. And if they've planned to break in ahead of time - you need to have an alarm with a cell connection (as the wires into the house will be cut), insurance, and a list of serial numbers for the authorities. But honestly, thieves with that much skill/planning - are probably going after bigger targets.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page