• 1 Post By AnnapolisSony

post #1 of 17 Old 02-15-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so basically I don't do well with light in the morning. Pretty much any light will wake me up and its a bit annoying if say the sun rises at 5am and you're trying to sleep until 7:30. And maybe 2 or 3 years ago I was looking all over the internet, including in this forum for things that would totally blackout all of the light coming in through my windows, and I didn't really find anything. There were a couple of massively involved curtains with boxes on all sides that you could attach to the wall, but that was about it if you were looking for blackout. And even those had a little bit of light leaking around the sides. Fast forward to a month ago when I tried searching for something again when I was getting particularly annoyed with sun hitting me right in the face in the early morning when my blinds weren't in the exact right spot, and lo and behold- I actually find something this time. A google search for "blackout window" brought me to the "Blackout EZ" website.

The bottom line is that the product is incredibly brilliant in its simplicity, and works perfectly. The cliff's notes version of it is that it is a light blocking multi layer vinyl (or whatever) fabric panel that you cut to the size of your window frame, and then attach with velcro on all sides. HOLY CRAP- This thing works incredibly well. My room is an absolute cave. Not even that slight little ray of light peeking around the edge you get if you try to use curtains. If your goal is to simply block off 100% of the light entering through your window, period, this does it. Install is really simple- They give you two rolls of adhesive velcro, and you just cut the panel to fit your window, using the printed grid on the material as a guide, throw on the velcro and you're good to go. It's so simple, but noone thought to put it out before. The velcro guarantees that no light at all can ever get through around the edges.

I tried searching for it on this forum but nothing came up. If you're looking for a cheap (around $20 or $30 per window) way to COMPLETELY guarantee absolutely no ambient light at all in any daylight condition for a home theater/ projector setting, and you are particularly sensitive about room light based on your calibration, I really can't think of a better way to do it. It was apparently made mainly for night shift type folks who need to sleep during the day so it probably doesn't come up as a home theater accessory that often. That and the fact that it's probably only about a year or so old based on the age of the website. Anyway, I've had it for probably a week or so, and it's actually kind of hard to explain what having a complete and utter lack of light through a window does to a room, when youre used to at best blocking 95 or 98% of it, with it peeking around the sides of whatever curtain you've managed to put up. I cannot recommend it enough.

the website: http://www.blackoutez.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-20-2013, 03:06 PM

Wow, this is one of those million dollar ideas that makes us say, "Why didn't I think of that?"
post #3 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Pretty much. Guy that started it seems like a nice guy- former engineer who just started his own company with this idea. The only other thing I've seen that attempts to do this type of thing is another product that involves cutting fiberglass rods with a hacksaw- the velcro all the way around the edges on this thing just makes so much sense.
post #4 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 04:52 PM

Liked: 49
Agree with Mike. I purchased this and installed on two windows. Once I was finished, I turned off the lights and in the middle of a sunny day I couldn't my hand in front of my face. Great product, easy to use. Highly recommended.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-04-2014, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Your timing couldn't be better. Thanks so much for sharing this on AVS. I've got 3 windows (one large and two small) in my media room and I wanted something temporary that I can pop up during the day to make my room a bit darker. The wood blinds look very nice but they just don't keep as much light out as I would like. Fortunately for me, all of my windows are deep so I can put the blackout right on the window and still have my nice wood blinds out in front. biggrin.gif I thought about putting up some black velvet up that I had laying around but when I held it up a scrap piece to the window, you could see right through it. Even if it did black it out, there is virtually no way to adhere velcro strips to velvet without machine-sewing them on. On and off I have been looking for fabric since then but just haven't found anything good. For my large window 36"W x 55"H they are quoting $40. eek.gif My two smaller windows they are quoting just over $20/each and that's for custom sizes. Man, you just can't beat that! I am going to share this link on my thread as well.

I'll be sure to do some before and after pics as well...
Waterbird likes this.

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

904WMC Media Room Build Thread
post #6 of 17 Old 03-24-2014, 08:13 PM

Got the blackouts installed on the big window and it is nothing short of AMAZING. Installation took about 30 mins and they were cut to fit perfectly. What a great QUALITY product too. I'd pay double the price that I paid for them now that I've seen the quality. It blacked out the window so perfectly that now I'm forced to get another one for the smaller window down there that is towards the back and off to the side (by one of my surrounds). My wife walked down in the middle of the day and was super pleased with the result. In fact, she demanded that I order the one for the smaller window as light was sneaking thru the wood blinds. biggrin.gif Once I have this smaller window blacked out, it will be damn near pitch black down there during the day. I love the fact that I can just peel these things off with Velcro. Best part is that they are hidden by my wood blinds so no one even knows they are there. The white Velcro also seamlessly blends in with the white on the window so even if you had the blinds up and the black out cover off, you couldn't even see the Velcro.

If you are considering...consider no more. These are A+++++++++ across the board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Waterbird likes this.

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

post #7 of 17 Old 03-27-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for this info! I have a 48" x 48" egress window in my soon-to-be-completed theater area, and I've been thinking about getting an opaque window well cover to block out the light. The problem with that is the price, and not being able to easily remove it if I want the natural light down there. I think I will be using Blackout EZ instead!
post #8 of 17 Old 06-14-2014, 04:29 AM

For all of you wondering about BlackoutEZ, here is a video that I shot installing the 2nd blackout in my media room. Enjoy!

onyxbfly likes this.

post #9 of 17 Old 06-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Great video demonstration- this is exactly what I have been lookin for!
post #10 of 17 Old 06-18-2014, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have three casement windows that let light into my projection area. These may work great for my situation. Glad I found this post!

post #11 of 17 Old 06-20-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 92
That is pretty slick.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-23-2014, 11:10 AM

I've got some windows in my living room theater that could use this stuff. Unfortunately I have 3 half circles, one very large one above double doors and two smaller ones above each set of window. I'm thinking about either buying a large roll of this stuff if possible or sourcing some large roll of similar vinyl else where and making these myself.

post #13 of 17 Old 06-30-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I ordered 3 blackouts for my windows. It was pretty expensive but they are working. The window coverings are not very pretty but they remain hidden behind my blinds. There are no more lines of light on my screen now. I use to have thin lines of light which would pass through the sides of my window between the blinds and the window frame. If you have a place where curtains are not an option these will work. They are expensive though. It cost me about $160 for 3 windows. You can probably DIY for much less.

post #14 of 17 Old 10-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This is exactly what I've been looking for!
Thanks!
post #15 of 17 Old 10-08-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So this just attaches over the window? I don't need it to be 100% sealed and would rather have something that rolls up and out of the way behind my current blinds without having to actually remove it.
post #16 of 17 Old 10-09-2014, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Plastidip them thats what i plan on doing
post #17 of 17 Old 10-11-2014, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
So this just attaches over the window? I don't need it to be 100% sealed and would rather have something that rolls up and out of the way behind my current blinds without having to actually remove it.
Works with Velcro, i have them on my living room behind my blinds. The velcro is white on the white window frame so it really doesn't stand out. I just pull them off when I want to open my blinds (just not very often). I love mine and they work great.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm 100's v5 + CC-690 + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page