Design questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, so not really "design" as Im not fortunate enough to remodel or own a new home. But I am tired of my typical living room/theater layout that has been in place for 4 years (hasn't changed one bit). My room sucks....enough said. My cable outlet sits on a wall that has a door at the end and an open hallway on the other. My left side has an open bar wall. The room is about 17' wide and 18' deep with two windows on the right and one on the back corner.

I own a 60" LCD with a system that is a few years old but worth more then my car. I'm desperate to maximize its potential from calibrations, placement, etc.

My current setup has my TV Centered on the front wall where the cable connection is. with the speakers about 3 feet from each side of the TV.

I was reading up on viewing distance recommendations, and my recommended distance (THX) is 6.7' to 9.4' with an SMPTE distance of 8.1'. I put my seating closer then usual and really enjoyed it. I'm just curious where my speaker placement should go now. They say to keep them off the back walls, but if I am sitting 8 feet from my tv with my speakers 2' from the back wall - the space is really limited.

I'm considering rotating my "theater" TV placed on the back wall which would allow my to distance my front speakers further apart as the should be (right?) The surrounds may be a problem with the open wall, but I can get them about 2' behind sitting area and about 4' high.

Would anyone recommend my proposed changes? or have any other ideas?

sorry my artwork is terrible, dimensions are way off but I wanted to give somewhat of a visual idea of what my current setup is and what I'm thinking would work better in my favor with my TV 8' from the screen

Current

Proposed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 381
The distance between your front L/R speakers in your 'proposed layout' I think are way too far apart. The setup you have now, with the speakers as far apart as you are from the screen, seems to be a much better setup..,.

Also - "keeping the speakers off the rear wall", I don't think that's necessary, and for most of us, would be impractical anyway.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 02-16-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

My current setup just seems crammed into one tiny wall being that their is a door there. Maybe rotating the area to the back wall but keeping the speakers all the same distance as they currently are will open it up a bit being that there isn't a door right next to everything. That and the fact that my sub is in the corner of the room where the doors open, one being away from the sub and one being towards it (I literally have to walk around my sub to get into my bedroom and the backdoor only opens halfway till it reaches the sub). It wont hurt to rearrange and test I guess moving everything but the mounted TV and the speaker wires.

I cant remember where I read, but I keep seeing that the Front floorstanding speakers with should be 1/3 or 1/5 the length of the room from the wall.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a better representation of my planned layout, if the enthusiast think it is worth it.

Everything has been measured (real life) and scaled to fit, so the accuracy of the layout is almost spot on.

I'll write here even though its in the "key" of the picture, just in case its hard to read.

Distance from screen to view point is exactly 8' and the distance between each front speaker is 8'

The side surrounds are just behind ear position and one mounted 4' high on wall while other is sitting on the bar counter 4' high

The back surrounds are on the back wall about 10 feet away. not sure how high or low to mount them.