My Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
before i get my hopes up and start saving for my project, i was wondering what advice the pj and screen guys would give to my idea.

i'm thinking about adding a motorized screen and projector to my living room for movies and big games. it won't be a dedicated theater because i'll be mounting the screen above my TV that is on the wall. i'm hoping to have enough clearance from the wall so the screen unrolls in front of the TV. And will only be using the projector/screen at night.

i believe the previous homeowner had wiring done for a projector setup as there are unslotted electrical outlet covers on the ceiling. the only wiring i was thinking i'd need is an outlet near the screen so the cord isn't dangling.

what do you guys that have experience in this think? i wont be able to do installation on my own as i'm, bound to a wheelchair, so i'll be asking for friends help installing. i only hope on paying an electrician for the outlet near the screen as my out of pocket installation expense.

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

I should add that i have a 7.1 surround system installed already in the room. i'd just have to purchase a new avr that has 2 hdmi outs so i can keep one to the tv and run one in the ceiling to the pj.

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-18-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 109
This is a very common practice. As to your AVR you can buy an HDMI Matrix switch that will allow 1 or more inputs to 1 or more displays for much less than a new Receiver. Only thing to keep in mind is the HDMI Cable distance from the AVR to the projector, 35' is max and sometime iffy, without going to HDMI over cat5.

Other things to read up on is lens shift vs fixed offset on the projector. DLP vs LCD, and sceen height and width vs viewing distance. If you have high ceilings you may need extra drop (black fabric above the screen) to allow the screen to drop down to the proper height. Dalite.com has lots of helpful articles on screen setups.

Good luck, and take your time and do your research.
post #4 of 19 Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks airscapes. It will definitely be a long slow researched process. Was calling around my city and got hesitant about it as I was told by one that I need to "account power needs for the screen and projector, signal cabling, screen triggering system, etc."

Was worried that this project maybe to much out of my budget after that conversation.

post #5 of 19 Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 109
what is your budget. There is a < $3000 projector forum you may want to hang out in for a while. As well as the the screen forum.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yea saw them. I lurk on there from time to time. Will spend more focus there as I dial it in to exactly what I want. Just was making sure it was a good idea or plausible project before getting really invested in it.

post #7 of 19 Old 02-18-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnaz480 View Post

i believe the previous homeowner had wiring done for a projector setup as there are unslotted electrical outlet covers on the ceiling.

Are those cover(s) located in the middle of the room (two close together), or spread apart? If they're apart, they may be blanks for in-ceiling speakers (surround or whole house audio). Have someone take the cover off the plate(s) and see what wires are behind them. Running power and signal to the projector is the "hard" part of these types of installs. Adding an outlet for the screen motor is easy - the fishing down the wall is the only skill required.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #8 of 19 Old 02-18-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

They are nearly middle in the middle of the room slightly staggered and near each other (I'm guessing 3" apart) my fingers are crossed that its wired for power and not audio as that may save some money. I maybe able to get my dad or someone swing by this weekend to actually unscrew them and check

post #9 of 19 Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are nearly middle in the middle of the room slightly staggered and near each other (I'm guessing 3" apart) my fingers are crossed that its wired for power and not audio as that may save some money. I maybe able to get my dad or someone swing by this weekend to actually unscrew them and check

If they're that close then I suspect you're right, it was for a projector. Which hopefully means one of them will reveal some romex for power, and the other some wire to get the signal from the AVR stack. As long as it's at least one cat5e or coax, you can make it work, as there are products to feed HDMI over one/two cat5e cables or a single coax. Depending on when this was done, it could be a set of 3 coax cables for component video, which wouldn't be ideal for a projector setup today but can work.

Good luck!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #10 of 19 Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff

Looks like my memory is a little shoddy. The plates are close to each other and staggered but maybe a foot apart max. Still hopeful it's for power and maybe I can find out tonight

post #11 of 19 Old 02-19-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like my memory is a little shoddy. The plates are close to each other and staggered but maybe a foot apart max. Still hopeful it's for power and maybe I can find out tonight

Close enough for government work... Few inches or a foot - still not the 4-6' of separation that would indicate speaker placements...

post #12 of 19 Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like one of those outlets have romex wiring so that's good. Saves some money.

post #13 of 19 Old 03-17-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

so its been near a month and what started as a simple idea is has now mutated to an addicting bigger disease lol.
i haven't actually started anything but after researching and reading so far I've come to the conclusion, if i want to do this i want to do it right.
With this mindset i realize its going to take me much longer now then anticipated but i'll treat this project as a fine wine and let it age perfectly.

i started messing with a 3d model and built my room. Its not really to scale, and i found the program more tiring then anticipated but it gives a good sense in what im dealing with. feel free to laugh, its definitely not my best artwork.

the room is 22' long by 20' wide, with a linen space in the back room, making it somewhat upside down L shape. on the south wall are 2 sliding glass doors measuring 70"x80" (WxH). Across the that wall is a square archway leading to the kitchen (yellow) and that is 57"x80" (WxH). Also is a cutout to window like feature that is 60X40"(WxH) and thats is yellow too. It starts at about 4'9". Then theres the bedroom door that goes to the master bedroom. the ceiling is flat and 8' high.

Since theres so much exposure in this room, i decided to get quotes on blackout shades. Nothing to fancy, but all motorized. figuring that there would probably be days where i want to watch something during the daylight, i not only got a quote on the doors, but as well as the to cutouts leading to the kitchen. This way i hopefully get an as close to possible blackout.

i've been looking into motorized screens and am so far leaning to the Vutech Lectric 3 series. Because I dont want just the metal bar hanging above my tv I am also looking into adding a soffit in the room. It started off as maybe on one wall but after looking into threads i like the light rope idea and will now wrap it around the room. I have it measured out so far as being 8" down and about 12" out. This will have room for the housing unit. I'm thinking of starting with a 16:9 screen and leaving space incase i add a 2.35:1 in the future.

That leaves screen size and throw. I'm thinking the throw will be 14' ceiling mounted. So far im thinking of the pj being the sony 95es or 50es. With blackout shades and blu/grey walls i'm hoping theres enough light control for those pjs. i was interested in the ae8000 because i already own panasonic glasses but i stiull find myself leaning to the sonys.

this is where im at. i'll probably start up a underconstruction thread whenever i start.

post #14 of 19 Old 11-14-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Pretty pumped. Just finalized my contract for the soffit to finally be built holding both screens. Construction starts in December. I post pics of my before and after decided to make the soffit black and going to paint the wall and door a dark charcoal gray. The other walls in my living room have the blue gray and should work together.

post #15 of 19 Old 12-09-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

The soffit and painting started. Heres my iphone pics

Here's is a before taping certain measurements

Another before showing the full size of my wall

Prepped and moved everything

Moved the biggest portion in

Soffit textured and mounted (view from kitchen)

post #16 of 19 Old 12-10-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

The black is called "Black, Black" in Home Depots system. The wall was primed with Gliddens Gripper Grey flat primer.

Head on:

From the kitchen. (the wallwith the art is a blue grey color, doesnt look that similar in person)

Looking up to where the screens will be

the three can lights on

post #17 of 19 Old 12-13-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Painted crown molding upclose w/ lights on

post #18 of 19 Old 12-16-2013, 04:11 PM

Liked: 14
Looking good so far! I really like the soffit and am a big fan of flatscreen/projector set ups. I look forward to the rest of your build.
post #19 of 19 Old 12-17-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! The flat black and molding turned out great. Really enjoying the tv viewing lately. Once my projector comes it'll probably be a few weeks until I update anything else. The main construction is done, so most updates will be just cosmetics until I have enough for my screens.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page