Kingpin748's Media Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello all. New to the forum but I've owned speakers and TVs for years. I just moved into a new house last fall and was finally able to start planning a good family media room. A lot of the stuff I've bought on sale or through Kijiji here in Calgary.

Originally I liked the idea of a dedicated home theater but lately I'm starting to think a good media room with some nice components and comfy chairs is a better way to go. I'd like to blame the wife but I've kind of come to that conclusion myself and I like the idea of having a space for everyone, rotten kids included.
Here is what I came up with on Sketchup:

Basement1_zps274f0ea1.jpg

Basement3_zps1a6c17eb.jpg

And here is how it's shaping up in real life.

Before:

IMG_2353_zps91319f26.jpg

After:

IMG_2365_zps8adb7a7f.jpg

IMG_2373_zps6750f2b4.jpg

I went from a Samsung LED Backlit 9 Series to the projector which was a big shift, one I certainly do not regret. It's an Epson 6020. I went with the Pro version because I got a good deal and considering the mount and extra bulb, extra year warranty, there wasn't much of a price difference.

IMG_2333_zpsbc8137ce.jpg

IMG_2375_zps9dd79053.jpg

I also placed an order today for a PC-12Plus to replace the Paradigm DSP3100.

072_pc12-plusfront26amp3brear_zpsf1087385.jpg

I can't wait for that. I've got to hand to Sonicboomaudio.com, the SVS vendor here in Canada. I got a shipment notification with tracking number 11 minutes after placing the order online. It was actually on the courier truck within 11 minutes.

Current equipment includes:

Denon 3311
Oppo BD-83
HTPC with XBMC
Server with Microsoft Server 2012 Essentials 18TB
Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 7
Center: Paradigm CC-190
Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-190
Rears: Paradigm Atom Mini Monitors
Sub: SVS PC12-Plus
Epson 6020
Grandview Fix Mount 120

I've got more plans for wall treatments and a space for the kids but I'm pretty sure the new sub blew the budget for the next few months. Glad to be part of the community and hope to pick up some new ideas from others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Looking good. I have a screen about as close to the ceiling as yours. I have decided to paint it a dark grey, the screen reflects a lot of light on it and it bugs me. Something you may need to consider.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 11
Looking good. Like you, I have come the conclusion that my room will be used for more than just watching the theatre and mine will ultimately incorporate a possible guest suite in my barn. Of course I'm still dreaming at this stage of the game.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

Looking good. I have a screen about as close to the ceiling as yours. I have decided to paint it a dark grey, the screen reflects a lot of light on it and it bugs me. Something you may need to consider.

Yeah, I'd give it a try but this place has a popcorn ceiling. I'd have to scrape it and finish to start trying colors. The reflection is there but I'm satisfied with the picture, it's good enough for my components in my opinion. Deffinitely spent time thinking about it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre Blanco View Post

Looking good. Like you, I have come the conclusion that my room will be used for more than just watching the theatre and mine will ultimately incorporate a possible guest suite in my barn. Of course I'm still dreaming at this stage of the game.

Not sure what to say about the barn. Seem like it should be big enough for a few guest suites and a cow though. Unless your stretching what most would call a shed;)