Newbie-looking for information about HDMI vs. CAT 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All-
I am just trying to replace my old projector and I'm getting outlandish quotes because my old projector was not HDMI and the newer ones require HDMI cables. Geek Squad is quoting me $400 for a 39.2 m (Audioquest Cinnamon) and another $100 to run it. I know there are cheaper cables out there, but he is saying that anything in the walls, he would put a better cable in.

Another guy said that for longer distances between projector and the equipment a CAT 5 would be better (B-320-1CAT-HDIRW). Can anyone enlighten me on this subject?

Also, how hard is it to program a URC MX880? The guy told me it would take 4 hours to program! We just have lights and the usual home theatre setup. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by azs872 View Post

Hi All-
I am just trying to replace my old projector and I'm getting outlandish quotes because my old projector was not HDMI and the newer ones require HDMI cables. Geek Squad is quoting me $400 for a 39.2 m (Audioquest Cinnamon) and another $100 to run it. I know there are cheaper cables out there, but he is saying that anything in the walls, he would put a better cable in.

What cables do you have now? Regardless, you don't need a $400 cable, and I wouldn't trust any HDMI cable at 40m without external assistance anyway. But do you really have a 40m run? Assuming you have component video run now, you can convert one of those coax cable to carry HDMI with a HDMI-over-coax device. (don't know if there are any that support 3D if that's important to you).
Quote:
Another guy said that for longer distances between projector and the equipment a CAT 5 would be better (B-320-1CAT-HDIRW). Can anyone enlighten me on this subject?

If you've got a cat5e cable there, or plan to run one, the HDBaseT single-cable solutions are the way to go. Monoprice has a set for $200 - many dealer-installed brands are available as well in the $400-600 range. There are other solutions such as the SnapAV one you mentioned, but the HDBaseT products will have the most features for the money...
Quote:
Also, how hard is it to program a URC MX880? The guy told me it would take 4 hours to program! We just have lights and the usual home theatre setup.

It's not hard if you have the software. But you don't, and they won't give it to you. 4 hours feels like a long time (at a per hour labor rate) for a simple setup, it's not like they're starting from scratch. That may just be their standard charge for programming - may be negotiable...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jeff
Thanks for replying to my post, but you are really speaking Greek to me. Right now, there are no cables at all. The HDBaseT single cable you are talking about, is that the one I indicated? I think that is a CAT 5 cable that he is planning on running. Or is it the SNAQP AV? The cable goes from the ceiling across to a utility room and then down to where the equipment is and he estimated 40 feet to be on the safe side.

As for the remote, If I buy the remote, it doesn't come with the software?
post #4 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azs872 View Post

Hi Jeff
Thanks for replying to my post, but you are really speaking Greek to me. Right now, there are no cables at all.

You said "replace the projector". Is it not going in the same place as the old one? There's certainly wiring to your current projector... If you're mounting it in a new location, then you'll want to run a number off cables (since running 3 won't be any more difficult than one).
Quote:
The HDBaseT single cable you are talking about, is that the one I indicated? I think that is a CAT 5 cable that he is planning on running. Or is it the SNAQP AV?

Both of those solutions run over a single cat5e cable. If you're running cable anyway, run two or three of them...
Quote:
The cable goes from the ceiling across to a utility room and then down to where the equipment is and he estimated 40 feet to be on the safe side.

40 feet is about 80 feet shorter than the 40m you mentioned... biggrin.gif
Quote:
As for the remote, If I buy the remote, it doesn't come with the software?

No, not with URC remotes. I will refrain from further characterizations about that fact. mad.gif

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Jeff
OK Jeff. The old projector is a Sharp XV-Z2000. It is mounted in the ceiling. There is an electrical plug in the ceiling for the power and then 3 other cords for the color, I think. Then there is a 3 prong cord (maybe that is the power cord). I can't tell because they are all coming out of the ceiling.

I just want to know whether it's better to have HDMI or whatever cable for the long run. OK it's an Audioquest Cinnamon 39.4" platinum white HDMI cable that Geek Squad is offering to run versus whatever cable the other guy wants to run. Still unclear what kind of cable that is.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

40' (feet!) is still a long run for HDMI. I would recommend a Redmere cable over a super-expensive non-compensating cable for that length. If they are going to run cables anyway, an HDMI Redmere cable along with 2-3 cat5e/cat6 wires would be my suggestion.

Theater build photos:

post #7 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Here's my $.02...

Go to Amazon and spend under $20 for 40' HDMI cable.. run on the floor and try it. If it works, great, just saved yourself a couple hundred bucks. If it doesn't, keep or send it back for credit. I've bought several 15' (cheapest found on Amazon [Link Depot]-- under $5 each) HDMI cables recently and they work just as well as the 1" multiple shielded ones I 'wasted' money on years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_6/185-5047868-0839217?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hdmi+cable&sprefix=hdmi+c%2Caps%2C139#/ref=sr_kk_3?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahdmi+cable+50+ft&keywords=hdmi+cable+50+ft&ie=UTF8&qid=1362008422

It's a no-brainer. I've finally learned to ALWAYS check Amazon first.. another recent win is replacement bronze door handles about 1/3 of what the box stores charge. Nice iPod and iPhone cases for $3 each.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Unless you're running it yourself, you're at the mercy of the installer. Most installers won't run the cable you supply, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

For a 40' run, I wouldn't go super cheap. Use a Blue Jeans cable, or a Monoprice Red mere, if buying yourself.

Like Jeff said, run a few category cables too and leave them unterminated, for future use.

Don't run your PJ power cord in the wall. Add an outlet in the ceiling.

Figure out which way the joists run in the ceiling. It may be super easy to run new cables yourself, from the adjacent utility room. If it is very simple, you can probably hold off on the extra runs of category cable, and add them later if you need them.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #9 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Cat 5 or 6 would be easier to run, then use an HDMI Balun like the Atlona HDBaseT Balun, they're pricey but pretty bullet proof
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page