Center speaker - add more juce - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a way to make a center louder for better movie experience. I dont want to make it louder in an amplifier because that will affect everything including watching TV - it will be too loud. I am thinking to put a local mono amplifier between a main one and a center speaker. Is it in general a good idea?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Your AVR should have adjustments for the individual speaker levels - increase the center by a few dB, and/or back off the L/R/Surround channels to make the center relatively louder than the others. Also check the placement of your center - make sure it's not creating reflections that produce muddy sound. Bring the speaker to the front edge of any TV/stand/cabinet that it's sitting on.

But adding a separate, outboard amp for one channel is going to be expensive and may not be possible if your AVR doesn't have pre-amp outputs.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 11 Old 02-28-2013, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

But I thought I would connect center speaker output from main AVR into an input of a mono amplifier and connect its output to the center speaker. Will that work?
post #4 of 11 Old 02-28-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgoldin View Post

But I thought I would connect center speaker output from main AVR into an input of a mono amplifier and connect its output to the center speaker. Will that work?

BOOM. eek.gif

No, can't do that - at least, not from the speaker-level output. If your AVR has "pre-amp" output jacks, those essentially bypass the internal amp so you can use an external one.

But even if it does, this is not likely to be a path that will solve your problem. Try adjusting the speaker levels. If your AVR doesn't allow that, it's almost certainly not going to have pre-amp outputs, either...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 11 Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Well, there are pre-amps and amplifiers out there that have low impedance inputs, but they tend to either be costly or are very modest in power (e.g. iPod amplifiers)

If you head that way, it wouled probably be more cost effective to buy a new receiver. I second Jautor's suggestion (as usual) that you look over your receiver's manual. The only receiver I have ever seen that didn't allow independent level control was a cheapo RCA HTIB system.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

I know that I can change level control for each speaker. But if I do that then the center speaker will be too loud for non surround sound sources: TV, music, etc. My idea was to have an additional amp just for the center and use it for 5.1 sound only. Simply turning it on when needed.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgoldin View Post

I know that I can change level control for each speaker. But if I do that then the center speaker will be too loud for non surround sound sources: TV, music, etc. My idea was to have an additional amp just for the center and use it for 5.1 sound only. Simply turning it on when needed.

If it's "too loud" in other cases, you've got something else going on. Surround modes won't affect the volume level of the center channel directly. You may have your speaker levels unbalanced now. If the AVR has a test mode, use it. If not, use a test / demo disc (the THX stuff on many BDs should have this) to help set the levels of all the speakers correctly.

Jeff

post #8 of 11 Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Directly or not, watching HD movies has a known problem. If a volume is set at a level to have a speech loud enough then all sound effects (flying bullets and s...t) are way too loud. Bringing it down makes a speech is harder to listen to.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Most amps have a midnight mode that does just what you want, reduces the suround effects but makes the dialoge louder. What model amp do you have

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #10 of 11 Old 02-28-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

I have pioneer elite vsx 21.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Your reciever has the midnight option it's on the remote. look on page 34 of your manual

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page