New Home media room wiring - Need advise (urgently) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I'm reasonably new here, and have been reading for a little while. I do want to warn you that I am completey new to this, and may be asking some pretty silly questions, and appreciate your patience and guidance here.

I'm in the process of building a new home, and as a part of the purchase, I opted for a 7.1 surround sound setup in the combined game / media room upstairs. The picture below shows you the design, and where everything is.

Important note: The room has already been pre-wired, and I've gone in to inspect the wiring. Dry-wall goes up next Tuesday, and the builder told me that if I want to make any changes, addtions, etc, now is the time. Ideally, he needs to know by Saturday, to make changes over th weekend or Monday and start Drywall after that.

To explain a bit more:

- The Front Left, Front right, Rear Left and Rear right speaker outlets have been prewired as in wall speakers
- They are positioned 10 inches below the ceiling line (ceiling is about 9 feet for most of the room, and 8'6" near the walls as it slopes slightly)

- For the Left surround and right surround speaker, they have been positioned in ceiling
- Positioning is roughly how you see it in the diagram.

- The sub is positioned (pre-wired) at the top right corner of the room.

- There are three large windows on the right wall of the room (I will be buying block-out curtains to darken the room when watching the screen)

- The "brown rectangle" is a sofa, most probably 4-6 seater with a chaise.

- There is a power and TV outlet at 60" above the floor (I did this to seamlessly mount a TV on the wall and provide it with power and video)
- The rest of the cables from all speakers are about 10 inches above the floor directly below. I will have a media cabinet below the TV ,but the cables will all be in the wall.

My questions:

1) Is the layout and positioning of the speakers ideal? For example, the fact that my Left and Right Surround are in-ceiling, and the rest in wall (10 inches below ceiling line), does this matter, would it affect sound quality or dynamics in the room?

2) I had originally thought about putting a 60 ~ 80" LED in the room rather than a projector. What would you suggest is the ideal size for this room?

2) Would this room suit a projector setup as an alternative to a traditional screen? Or is the room too small? (I ask this because if I want to pre-wire, now is the time, as I am told it would be a lot easier.) If yes, What would I need to ask for in terms of pre-wire, and where would you position the projector?

3) If the answer to 2 is "yes", I need some advise on positioning of lighting. I can't obviously put a fan / light combo where it is now, because it would interrupt the projector, and then would need to perhaps ask for prewire for sconces?

4) Any other general advise?

Thanks in advance for your help and reading my post smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurSpec View Post

- The Front Left, Front right, Rear Left and Rear right speaker outlets have been prewired as in wall speakers
- They are positioned 10 inches below the ceiling line (ceiling is about 9 feet for most of the room, and 8'6" near the walls as it slopes slightly)

Typical builder, and yuck. Way too high. Ideally they should be near ear-height around the screen. Center can be above or below the screen, but this is where you're going to have trouble since you haven't picked a TV size or projector.
Quote:
- For the Left surround and right surround speaker, they have been positioned in ceiling
- Positioning is roughly how you see it in the diagram.

Assuming all four surround channels are in the ceiling, they are too close to the walls in the diagram. They should be "outside" of the seating area, but a few feet from the walls to avoid reflections.
Quote:
- There is a power and TV outlet at 60" above the floor (I did this to seamlessly mount a TV on the wall and provide it with power and video)
- The rest of the cables from all speakers are about 10 inches above the floor directly below. I will have a media cabinet below the TV ,but the cables will all be in the wall.

What is the "TV outlet"? You need a cable pathway between the TV and wherever your equipment will be. Best answer would be a short conduit run from behind the TV location to down the wall at outlet height so you can feed cables through from your media cabinet. Make sure there is a cat5e run to that area as well - two would be better.
Quote:
2) I had originally thought about putting a 60 ~ 80" LED in the room rather than a projector. What would you suggest is the ideal size for this room?

The room is quite large, and can easily support a 100-120" screen.
Quote:
2) Would this room suit a projector setup as an alternative to a traditional screen? Or is the room too small? (I ask this because if I want to pre-wire, now is the time, as I am told it would be a lot easier.) If yes, What would I need to ask for in terms of pre-wire, and where would you position the projector?

If you want to go the projector route, now is the time to get the electrical and A/V wiring in place, but you don't have much time to learn about it.

Roughly guessing a projector would be 12-14' from the front wall, you'd want a power outlet in the ceiling, plus HDMI and 2-3 cat5e/cat6 wires from that location to wherever you expect the equipment to go. Again, best bet here would be a flex conduit run.
Quote:
3) If the answer to 2 is "yes", I need some advise on positioning of lighting. I can't obviously put a fan / light combo where it is now, because it would interrupt the projector, and then would need to perhaps ask for prewire for sconces?

A projector and a ceiling fan do not make good partners in a room...

Pre-wire for sconces, but position them towards the back 2/3 of the room (builder tend to place them evenly in the room, which makes them too close to the screen). Sconces MUST be on a separate dimmer/switch from other lighting.

Recessed can lights are your friend for these types of rooms. You probably won't have the sconces on (or very, very dim) when using a projector as they throw light onto the screen.
Quote:
4) Any other general advise?

Go back in time and ask these a few months ago. biggrin.gif

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 03-03-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Roughly guessing a projector would be 12-14' from the front wall, you'd want a power outlet in the ceiling, plus HDMI and 2-3 cat5e/cat6 wires from that location to wherever you expect the equipment to go.

Jeff

Why would you need any cat5/6 cables run to the projector? I have one HDMI (actually, DVI) run to the projector and don't see any reason for Cat5/6 to the projector. (I did run one Cat 5e cable to the projector, but it's for IR control, not network control/access.) I did run smurf tube to the projector location, though, so I could add something later if I decided to do so. I just can't see that I need anything else.

If the original poster only has a weekend to research this, I'd ask the builder to leave the room unfinished for now. That's better than being wrong or tearing everything back out.

Bob
post #4 of 7 Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

Why would you need any cat5/6 cables run to the projector? I have one HDMI (actually, DVI) run to the projector and don't see any reason for Cat5/6 to the projector. (I did run one Cat 5e cable to the projector, but it's for IR control, not network control/access.) I did run smurf tube to the projector location, though, so I could add something later if I decided to do so. I just can't see that I need anything else.

You don't see any reason to run cat5e/cat6 to the projector, but yet you did it, and are using it for IR control? rolleyes.gif

IP control, Internet access (FW updates), IR control, RS232 control, future HDMI extender, 12V trigger in/out - plus a bunch of stuff that hasn't been invented yet...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 7 Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

You don't see any reason to run cat5e/cat6 to the projector, but yet you did it, and are using it for IR control? rolleyes.gif

IP control, Internet access (FW updates), IR control, RS232 control, future HDMI extender, 12V trigger in/out - plus a bunch of stuff that hasn't been invented yet...

You don't have to get upset. It didn't have to be cat5; it could've been 2 or 3 wires. I just happened to have 1000 feet of cat5. I have a pulldown screen, so don't need 12v. I honestly can't see needing any of those other things (I will never do RS232 control, for instance). Sorry. My HDMI/DVI works perfectly. And, I don't yet have the IR connected and am thinking I may never connect it. I can just point the remote at the screen.

That's why tubing would be better, and that's why I installed tubing. I can run whatever cable I want in the future.

Here are a few pictures of what I installed. This is why the original poster should think about not finishing this room as of yet. For tubing, it takes a while to figure out how to run it, where to run it, and what size you need.

Bob
post #6 of 7 Old 03-03-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

The bottom picture is the projector location. If you look carefully, you can see the cat5 that I ran there. This is run to the central box location (if I'm remembering correctly; it's been two years and I haven't ever finished installing the cat5 for use as IR -- don't see the need). Currently, I have HDMI (DVI) run to the projector. That's it. And I've used the projector for two years.

Bob
post #7 of 7 Old 03-03-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

You don't have to get upset. It didn't have to be cat5; it could've been 2 or 3 wires. I just happened to have 1000 feet of cat5. I have a pulldown screen, so don't need 12v. I honestly can't see needing any of those other things (I will never do RS232 control, for instance). Sorry. My HDMI/DVI works perfectly. And, I don't yet have the IR connected and am thinking I may never connect it. I can just point the remote at the screen.

I'm not upset, you posted a completely contradictory statement. And yes, while you could have used a 3-conductor cable for IR, having a cat5e wire there instead allows for any number of uses, whereas IR cable can't... While you may not use it for any of the purposes I listed, I think you can see why others may benefit from having it there.
Quote:
That's why tubing would be better, and that's why I installed tubing. I can run whatever cable I want in the future.

Flex conduit is an excellent way to future-proof. Running some cheap category cable as well during installation (outside of the conduit) can cover a lot of potential use cases for a few bucks.

Jeff

Theater build photos:

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page