Fixed Frame Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Home Theater setup is coming along nicely. I have the projector mounted and am about ready to buy a screen. The room is dedicated and completely light controlled and I think I would like to get a fixed frame screen and mount it directly on the wall. However, there is a power outlet in the middle of the wall (for mounting a flat screen TV) that i would like to be able to use should i need to. So my questions...

1. When mounted, do the fixed frames have enough gap between the back of the screen and the wall that a plug would fit?
2. Is there enough room (1/2") between the frame and the wall for a cord to run out from behind the screen?
3. Are the screens fairly easy to properly mount?
4. Once mounted are they fairly easy to take down temporarily (to reach said power outlet)?

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When mounted, my screen was flush up against the wall, so there is definitely not enough room to plug something in behind one.

I have a Draper Clarion screen that mounts via two brackets. You just screw those brackets onto the wall, and then hang the top horizontal bar of the screen frame over them, kinda like a picture. It's fairly easy to do, but definitely a two man job just because you need someone at each end to lift an assembled screen.

post #3 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

So in theory one could use a 2x4 or something as a spacer right?
post #4 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verti89 View Post

So in theory one could use a 2x4 or something as a spacer right?

You could - At least if your screen mounts in the same way that mine did. I actually did that a few years ago when I was renting an apartment and put the screen in front of a window. I used a 2x4 spacer so that the screen sat out in front of the window trim. Just be sure to also mount a 2x4 on the bottom as well so that the bottom of the screen has something to rest against.

post #5 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Plenty of options. You could hang a screen from the ceiling. You could bump the screen out from the wall with 2x4s. If it's going to be fixed you might want to consider buiklding a complete false frame to hide the gap between the screen and the wall. Could also just move the outlet!
post #6 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Why would the bottom 2x4 be necessary exactly?? Are the mounts on the edge of the frame or adjustable? I am not terribly worried about the false frame situation because the screen is going to take up 95% of the wall so there really isnt anywhere a person would be that they could notice the 2" gap.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 08:38 AM

On my screen, there is a lip in the frame on the top that goes over the brackets, so the screen is only mounted to the wall from the top. The mounts aren't actually connected to the frame - the screen sits over them.

The 2x4 across the bottom is just a spacer to ensure that the screen sits "level" and is spaced the same distance from the wall. You may not need it, but my screen wanted to hang on an angle with the bottom closer to the wall without the spacer to hold the bottom out.

post #8 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

ah gotcha, thanks guys!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page