Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys

Long time lurker, first post.
I just bought a house, and I was thinking of using the room below as a media room.
It is a "loft" above the living room, with one side open with a small balcony to the downstairs living room.
Room size is 14x18. Dimensions and picture are below.

Would there be too much ambient light for a projector?

I was thinking of putting the screen on the side open to downstairs, and put big blackout curtains hanging from the top of the large windows, to the bottom of the "balcony" area floor.

Is the room too open for the surround speakers, or too small for a projector?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

So here are my main 2 options:

Both options I would use black out curtains all around the open area, and II would go with a light rejection screen, similar to SI Black Diamond, or a digital screen from DNP.

I am worried that the front seats would be too close in either setup option.

Green line is the screen, red is the curtain

Option 1:

Option 2:
post #3 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Fun space although it looks like a real challenge to retro fit.......is there any access to the space behind the side or back walls, or above the ceiling, or are you willing to cut open the drywall and patch as needed to get wiring in place?
regardless of orientation, that ceiling fan will probably have to go if you install a projector. Are you sure you have a realistic amount of space allotted for seating, especially if recliners are involved?
Here's some suggested reading from the THX website regarding viewing angles and distances, might help you define how big a screen your viewing distances are suited for.
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/hdtv-set-up/

you do realize that with what looks like an open floor plan, the sound from an audio system in this location will probably be heard throughout the entire house.....?

underachiever extraordinaire
post #4 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post

Fun space although it looks like a real challenge to retro fit.......is there any access to the space behind the side or back walls, or above the ceiling, or are you willing to cut open the drywall and patch as needed to get wiring in place?
regardless of orientation, that ceiling fan will probably have to go if you install a projector. Are you sure you have a realistic amount of space allotted for seating, especially if recliners are involved?
Here's some suggested reading from the THX website regarding viewing angles and distances, might help you define how big a screen your viewing distances are suited for.
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/hdtv-set-up/

you do realize that with what looks like an open floor plan, the sound from an audio system in this location will probably be heard throughout the entire house.....?

Thanks for your reply!

I don't mind cutting into the drywall, I did it before at my parent's house, and my old apartment to route tv cables and speaker wiring. However, I am not sure if there is "accessible space". The room is made of wall studs and sheet rock, and I will have to check out the roof.

My biggest issue is the ambient light and seating space, as you brought up, I need to see how many seats I can practically put in the room, and what screen size would be enjoyable. I will probably go with a regular 3 seat couch in the back, with 2 or 3 recliners in the front.

My only other option would be to have a screen in the living room, but there would be way too much ambient light, and as you said the current room is fun and it feels removed from the house, so you can feel more engulfed or involved (not sure that's the word I'm looking for) when watching a move or playing video games.

Also, as far as the audio system being heard throughout the entire house, that isn't a problem, because fortunately I'm 26 and single and living alone, so no WAF needs to be taken into consideration. biggrin.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 03-09-2013, 05:20 AM

Option 1 reversed maybe? I see the PJ and rear surrounds there, the wall with the small 2x2 window as the screen wall. How high are your walls and ceilings? More pictures help.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page